Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammerli AR20FT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm the importer of these rifles into South Africa, and also received the first one last week.

I would agree with all that JIMMER said - cocking lever very stiff still, but the ons I handled at the IWA show in Germany in March, had been used a bit, and was very easy to cock, so I'm sure with time it will get a little smoother.

One thing to remember though, this is an ENTRY-LEVEL rifle and is not supposed to compete head-on with the Walther Dominators, Steyr LG110's, EV2's and GP's.

It was designed for starters up to "mid-level" shooters. At the price, it's really well placed and affordable option to get into the sport.

Cheers

Robbie
    Steyr LG110FT & March 8-80x56 IR

What's the latest news on the Hammeli?

Well you have read what chris has to say and on the whole the rifle acted as i thought it would. putting the scope on was the biggest problem as i think there's a slight slope on the rail and i had to pack the front where it is usualy the rear. any way all sorted and on our range with an 1" of wind down they went.
    i have read about the so called plastic part , yes there's abs hard plastic stuff but so what. where it matters is either ally or steel. i think chris was very suprised to the dead movement on the ar20 and after a few shots knocked out the centre of targets.
    sunday will again be a test as i have increased the stock length by 20mm to give a longer trigger pull.the other 6 spacers i have used on the knee rest using the long screws supplied, in all 3 sets of screws for knee and butt adjustment. i filled the 300 bar tube to 250 and i guessed i had about 150 shots down to about 110bar. and filling was easy quicker than when my steyr was filled that way.
    a call from the sportsman in exeter said all 12 they had in have now gone.

JIMMER

JUST REMEMBER VARIOUS THING HAVE BEEN THE ANSWER TO SHOOTING, SO IM NOT PROMOTING THIS AS THE ANSWER THERE ARE BOUND TO BE PROBLEMS SOME WHERE.

Jimmer I will be at your club about 3.30 on Tuesday afternoon delivering sils for the GP. If I promise not to bring the left hand tools, maybe see you there for half an hour?

Quote Originally Posted by Globalstar66 View Post
    I'm the importer of these rifles into South Africa, and also received the first one last week.

I would agree with all that JIMMER said - cocking lever very stiff still, but the ons I handled at the IWA show in Germany in March, had been used a bit, and was very easy to cock, so I'm sure with time it will get a little smoother.

One thing to remember though, this is an ENTRY-LEVEL rifle and is not supposed to compete head-on with the Walther Dominators, Steyr LG110's, EV2's and GP's.

It was designed for starters up to "mid-level" shooters. At the price, it's really well placed and affordable option to get into the sport.

Cheers

Robbie
    That's not to say that it can well keep with the "Big Guns" at any competition in the right hands.A good tuned AA400 will cost about the same and they can really hold their own.The only reason the likes of Styer-Walther and the like charge so much is because they can.

RICH,if good weather mate i'll be there. we got more work to for gp7 yet.

jimmer

just picked mine up today can you tell me how much you had to pack the scope on youre bsa many thanks.garry
    Walther lp400 lg100 pro t

Thicker than you would think.a mm i should think. Maybe later some one like john pardoe will make bespoke rails to level things.

Pm me your power as mine was on the money and this morning checked against the bfta chrono and spot on. Ian penrose was down about 25-30 fps.

Jimmer

Quote Originally Posted by springboy View Post
    That's not to say that it can well keep with the "Big Guns" at any competition in the right hands.A good tuned AA400 will cost about the same and they can really hold their own.The only reason the likes of Styer-Walther and the like charge so much is because they can.
    Yes I fully agree with that statement - just saying it was not AIMED at the very top shooters...according to Walther, it should be "pitched" as an entry-to mid-level rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by Globalstar66 View Post
    Yes I fully agree with that statement - just saying it was not AIMED at the very top shooters...according to Walther, it should be "pitched" as an entry-to mid-level rifle...
    I agree most top shooters won't be using one,but wouldn't it be great to see new shooters putting the wind up them using an AR20 as their first gun.

Cheek of it. are you implying that the famed Jimmer (AA grade locally and nationally) is not a top shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Cheek of it. are you implying that the famed Jimmer (AA grade locally and nationally) is not a top shooter?
    I know I've worded it wrong of course an AA grader will use them. I meant the likes of Andy Calpin,James Osbourne,Dan Eley and other house hold names. I know plenty of AA shooters that wouldn't think twice about using one. I can't wait to see them on the circuit and maybe have a go of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Nope, not at all...

Just nice to have more choice in "budget oriented" equipment available, especially in South Africa...

Smile Hammerli AR20

I want one........

going to sell a kidney and my right leg for one.

If you cant beat the rest, then join them, thats what they have done.

Well done Hammeril and Walther......
    [/FONT][/SIZE]Living The Dream

Guys, just a little more info....

Remember that the factory was closed for almost a month for their summer holidays. I ordered a bunch for South Africa just when the factory re-opened 2 weeks ago, and there's a 4-5 week lead time, plus shipping time, so it's not available "daily"

We had a "champion of champions" shoot this past weekend - a LOT of fun. 20 shots benchrest, 10 shots grouping over bench at 50 meters, 10 shots grouping sitting FT style also at 50 meters, 20 silhouette targets at various distances and 20 targets FT.

After the shoot, I gave the AR20FT to a number of guys wanting to try it out. All were shooting at 50 meters in a mild breeze.

3 guys managed to shoot 5-shot groups of under 12mm at 50 meters (side-side) or 7.5mm centre to centre.

I also gave it to 2 of our National team members to try out. Hennie (he had 3rd higest score at the FT Worlds held here in 2009, and ended 5th after a shootout with Mark Basset and Dave Combrink also from SA) was very pleased with the AR20's incredible accuracy.

Lukas Richter (the other member of our National team) also shot an incredible 12mm group. I had a 14 year old girl shoot a ONE HOLE 5-shot group in the FT sitting position with the rifle at 38 meters. That was something special to see.

Anyway, as I have stated on here before - it should be noted that although this rifle is incredibly accurate, it IS being marketed by Umarex as an ENTRY to MID level rifle, and is not supposed to compete (sales wise) or fiinsh quality wise with a Walther Alutec Dominator, Steyr LG110, or Anschutz. Those more expensive rifles with better finish and looks, will always have a place in the market.

What this AR20FT does well, is give many people an entry into FT with a REGULATED FT rifle, unlike an S200 or S400.

Yes, the trigger blade is not that great, and fortunately can very easily be changed to whatever floats your boat. I didn't even like the trigger blades on my Dommi, my Steyr LG110 or my Anschutz, and replaced all of them with TEC-HRO trigger blades, so "pick your poison".

Also, yes it doesn't have a DOMMI regulator, but the Walther LG1250 reg supplied, is very very consistent, and on the demo rifle I have here, gives only a 4fps spread over 20 shots. That is quite awesome in my books. It comes with a fairly heavy 750 gram medium size 300 bar Walther STEEL cylinder, which is good for 150 shots. I had to buy an aluminium short cylinder for my Dommi, as I hated the 950 gram MAXI STEEL cylinder on my Dommi too.

I put the Aluminium cylinder of my Dommi on the AR20FT, and MAN, what a difference it makes to overall balance. Alu cylinder is only 400 grams. BUT, it costs almost EUR200 extra - for that extra price, not really worth it. The AR20FT cannot yet be ordered with ALU cylinder in place of steel YET - but hopefully in the future, you'd be able to order with ALU cylinder instead of steel, and pay in just the difference in price.

Cocking lever is NOT great at first - it's very stiff indeed. My demo's is still very stiff and relatively hard to cock, BUT the one I handled at the IWA show in Germany in March, had been softened up a lot, and was actually very easy to cock "one-handed", so I suspect with some time, it will become a lot easier to cock.

Yes, rail is a cheap one, but costs nothing really, and a lot of guys will shoot without the rail, as many shoot the LG110 without the Steyr rail. And, the supplied rail is not that bad at all.

Lastly, laying out only GBP600 (for you guys in any case) is NOT expensive for getting a rifle as accurate as this. It will certainly make AA and some other manufacturers take note - a full Ft-ready, regulated 300bar, fully adjustable trigger and fully adjustable stock for not much more than an S400....

Good luck to all of you that bought them. For those that are still wondering - just buy it. It's THAT GREAT for the price you're paying!!!

Cheers

Robbie