Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammerli AR20FT

Are all the ones that everyone has bought the silver? I quite like the "hot red" (then some grey/red laminate..)
    Is anyone supplying the other two colours and do they cost more???
    RT
    FX Streamline STX/Aeron. MTC Connect 3-12x24 SCB

I think you will find that the ft model is only in silver as i like the red but the silver will dogarry
    Walther lp400 lg100 pro t

BAR website update...
    Already out of stock of Hammerli AR20FT.177 unless you want a .22 or the CO2 type.

I was told today by Swillington Shooting Supplies who also has the CO2 in stock, that the three main distributors are waiting for more stock of AR20FT.177 too...

However, the manufactures/warehouse are now on holiday so it may be late August.
    DAYSTATE GREY SHADOW No8.... WooHoo

Quote Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
    Just noticed that Blackpool Air Rifles are stocking it now and Includes the walther 8-32x56 scope and accessories all for £599.00, the cheapest ive seen yet with the scope included.
    Wow there are times you guys in the UK are very lucky

Hammerli ar20

Got my hands on a hammerli today,thanks to Ron, and put 5 rounds down the range.He had only just zeroed it in at 30 yards as I arrived.
    First shot went right where I aimed, next 4 just make the hole a little bigger !!!!
    I'm now going to have to wait to try the gun again or till Swillington guns get their next delivery of guns, late August!!!!

Steve

shot one yesterday a friends looked fantastic until i picked it up very uncomfortable really awkward loading notchy the groups were ok until i shot my own then realised no better than mine if not slightly worse good entry level price looks like a silencer option may be difficult apart from the looks i think an s200 is as good a tool and more comfortable and cheaper but will get a big following just because its cheap and looks good

Given the adjustments available on the AR20FT I'm very surprised a sporter stocked rifle was a more comfortable fit. As to the accuracy most PCP's tend to be more accurate than the shooter, so i wouldn't discount it after such a short test.

Ar20

To the people that have one, how many shots do you get from a fill. As i have not seen one in the flesh, how long is the rear stock and how much can it be adjusted in length, shortest to full extent to accept different users.

Quote Originally Posted by max29aug View Post
    shot one yesterday a friends looked fantastic until i picked it up very uncomfortable really awkward loading notchy the groups were ok until i shot my own then realised no better than mine if not slightly worse good entry level price looks like a silencer option may be difficult apart from the looks i think an s200 is as good a tool and more comfortable and cheaper but will get a big following just because its cheap and looks good
    Please do not take this as a personal criticism, as that is not my intention, however, I always wonder why people give a negative personal view.... of something they have just picked up to try.
    If these are just first impressions what were the impressions of others that own or have tried the same item, try to balance comments with reason and cause

(a) what was your friends view and achievements with the AR20 FT (as it was his rifle)

(b) what pellets were you using (I think the AR20 prefers Mozzies and shotgun Super Fields.. the only two I've tried, any other findings anyone ?)

(c) now again please don't take this the wrong way, but are you a really good shot
    (I'm the first to admit, that I'm not) if the AR20 shoots the same (in your words "No Better") as your S200... is that as good or as bad ??
    If you are a really good shot or won FT comps, please state so and any negative comments will be taken far more seriously.

(d) why would you want a silencer on an Field Target rifle (would you want to use it for hunting, in the garden or do you find the sound annoying ?)

I agree that the cocking is the worst I have come across and I have bruises to show for it, it tries to be ambidextrous but you cannot easily pull the cocking lever in a straight direction using just one side so it feels strained, you cannot always grab both sides of the cocking lever as the mounted scope restricts your grip. Let's hope this becomes easier with extended use.

I also have read that you can obtain 400 shot's with a 300 bar fill..
    It's difficult to fill to 300 bar... you may nearly achieve this once or twice from your air bottle but as most transportable bottles have a max of 300 bar it is soon only half filling the rifles cylinder...
    On average I'd say I was getting around 150 good shots from a 3/4 average fill.

I do actually own an AR20 FT and find it the most refreshing rifle to come to the market, for once low price does not equal lower quality, the AR20FT is on equal terms with some top of the range FT rifles... I have owned a few
    I think many rifle manufactures are going to receive a big hit in their sales forecasts for the rest of the year and low cost, quality rifles could be the big thing next year.
    (That's just my own opinion from a guy who is an average ability non competitive air rifle shooter)

Keep the comments coming... but if they are negative, please back them up with the cause or reason.

ATB

PS I don't know many of the bbs names used by all the AA AAA and champion shooters, If you are one of these, then my apologies, however I do think most of my comments are for the greater good of the bbs readers.
    Last edited by beatman; 01-08-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Edit text

if someone could measure the length of their bottle, i think that will give a clue, as it's going to be either the long steel or the medium steel.

tradtional thought about walther regs isn't to fill them to 300 but to try and keep them to just under 200 where they seem more consistent, and it gives them an easier life. (assuming it's the same reg as dommy)

i reckon it's going to give more shots than an s200...which is one of it's weaker points... and the trigger on my s200 wasn't as good as this, as it would stick into 2nd stage if released, making it a single stage on 2nd attempt, which only seemed solvable by heavying the thing up... cocking, although easier on the s200 was equally as rough.

On just a brief handle of one, i reckon they're in the same market as each other... the s200 suits smaller frames better, the ar probably suits more normal adult sizes better... never shot the ar, but the s200 was very accurate, just sometimes difficult to control on launch as it was so small.

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Beatman, they're good guns for the money but comparing them side by side with the likes of Walther/Steyr/Anshutz et al isn't fair. The build quality is one of the ways they fall down, have you slid a set of mounts or a level along the scope rail yet? If so has the black finish come off?

As you've said the cocking is rough and definitely needs two hands along with a bit of technique to do.

My main gripe with them is the two part action and the join along it's length. The ones I've seen have gaps along the join, when it's being used in the lashing rain at Quarry or a winter league I can see it letting water in, the same could be said about the dust at Bisley or Redfearns in the summer.

There's definitely potential to make a sorted accurate gun once it's been fettled. As Umerex's first foray into FT guns it's pretty sweet, it's definitely not the perfect shining star some are portraying it to be. But as we know, there's no such thing as a perfect gun.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post

My main gripe with them is the two part action and the join along it's length. The ones I've seen have gaps along the join, when it's being used in the lashing rain at Quarry or a winter league I can see it letting water in, the same could be said about the dust at Bisley or Redfearns in the summer.
    from a brief glance, that looked to be a panel... the other side was one piece. But yep, i'd be looking at putting something over that join, perhaps tape. Remember the dommies have a great gaping hole underneath

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    from a brief glance, that looked to be a panel... the other side was one piece. But yep, i'd be looking at putting something over that join, perhaps tape. Remember the dommies have a great gaping hole underneath
    We don't get much upside down rain up here mate, maybe it's an issue for the Aussies though!!
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    Beatman, they're good guns for the money but comparing them side by side with the likes of Walther/Steyr/Anshutz et al isn't fair. The build quality is one of the ways they fall down, have you slid a set of mounts or a level along the scope rail yet? If so has the black finish come off?

As you've said the cocking is rough and definitely needs two hands along with a bit of technique to do.

There's definitely potential to make a sorted accurate gun once it's been fettled. As Umerex's first foray into FT guns it's pretty sweet, it's definitely not the perfect shining star some are portraying it to be. But as we know, there's no such thing as a perfect gun.
    Hi Charlts, just a couple of lines on your earlier post:

(a) comparing rifles... are we talking expensive outlay or accuracy ?
    Firstly I'll reverse the above accuracy..
    The AR20 FT is FIRST CLASS earlier today at PARC a good friend of mine with his own AR20 FT scored his best FT score around the 40 target course a 36, the previous best held by a Steyr was also 36 (nice rounds by Neil and Matt) now the AR20 owner also owns an EV2 MK4 and shoots comps, he informed me the EV2 was now boxed up in his loft....
    I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's the shooter and the shooters choice of rifle that make a winning score.
    It will be a long time (if ever) before I score a 36 with either my AR20FT or my Ripley, basically because, I'm not that good, age/eyesight/confidence/ability but not because of the FT rifles I own they are both exceptional.

(b) Secondly expensive kit Vs cheap kit... re-read the above.

Next question, have I slipped some mounts across my FREE scope rail and noticed any paint being scraped off, I admit I would have been annoyed if I had just paid £100 on top of the £1600 Steyr for the Steyr rail and the paint came off, however as I'm £1000 in pocket, I'll just say it adds character.

Next question, Have I noticed a crack in the side of my AR20 FT... NO

Your last paragraph, hey, you are perfectly correct !!!!
    There is no such thing as a perfect rifle that suits everyone (nice line)
    SO WHY PAY £1000 MORE THAN YOU HAVE TO ???

I rest my case and have left the building...

Cheers team Walther all your best bit's are now in a Hammerli AR20 FT
    Last edited by beatman; 01-08-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beatman View Post
    Hi Charlts, just a couple of lines on your earlier post:

(a) comparing rifles... are we talking expensive outlay or accuracy ?
    Firstly I'll reverse the above accuracy..
    The AR20 FT is FIRST CLASS earlier today at PARC a good friend of mine with his own AR20 FT scored his best FT score around the 40 target course a 36, the previous best held by a Steyr was also 36 (nice rounds by Neil and Matt) now the AR20 owner also owns an EV2 MK4 and shoots comps, he informed me the EV2 was now boxed up in his loft....
    I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's the shooter and the shooters choice of rifle that make a winning score.
    It will be a long time (if ever) before I score a 36 with either my AR20FT or my Ripley, basically because, I'm not that good, age/eyesight/confidence/ability but not the because of the rifles I own they are both exceptional.

(b) Secondly expensive kit Vs cheap kit... re-read the above.

Next question, have I slipped some mounts across my FREE scope rail and noticed any paint being scraped off, I admit I would have been annoyed if I had just paid £100 on top of the £1600 Steyr for the Steyr rail and the paint came off, however as I'm £1000 in pocket, I'll just say it adds character.

Next question, Have I noticed a crack in the side of my AR20 FT... NO

Your last paragraph, hey, you are perfectly correct !!!!
    There is no such thing as a perfect rifle that suits everyone (nice line)
    SO WHY PAY £1000 MORE THAN YOU HAVE TO ???

I rest my case and have left the building...

Cheers team Walther all your best bit's are now in a Hammerli AR20 FT
    So when you said you were asking for feedback you were really just asking for people to agree with you?

Point a - Who is the mystery AR20 shooter? (I know a lot of the good Ponty lads) What grade does he shoot in? Will he consistantly be top scoring with it against the likes of Calps and John C?

Point b - Are you honestly saying the build quality is the same as a Steyr or a Dommie? Really? That's what makes the difference in price.

Nobody has said there's a crack in the side of it, have a look under your scope rail where the action joins together, you'll see the join between the halves of the action. Personally I'd be pissed off with any part of the finish coming away from the action that easily whether the gun cost £20 or £2000.

Lets not get into the whole this is better than that, as I genuinely think the AR20 is a good gun, there's some rough edges want knocking off but nothing major. It's not pretending to be on the same level as the top end kit and is all the better for it. It's based on an entry level 10m gun and that's how it's being pitched.
    Last edited by Charlts; 01-08-2010 at 05:34 PM.