Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammerli AR20FT

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    So when you said you were asking for feedback you were really just asking for people to agree with you?

Point a - Who is the mystery AR20 shooter? (I know a lot of the good Ponty lads) What grade does he shoot in? Will he consistantly be top scoring with it against the likes of Calps and John C?

Point b - Are you honestly saying the build quality is the same as a Steyr or a Dommie? Really? That's what makes the difference in price.

Nobody has said there's a crack in the side of it, have a look under your scope rail where the action joins together, you'll see the join between the halves of the action. Personally I'd be pissed off with any part of the finish coming away from the action that easily whether the gun cost £20 or £2000.

Lets not get into the whole this is better than that, as I genuinely think the AR20 is a good gun, there's some rough edges want knocking off but nothing major. It's not pretending to be on the same level as the top end kit and is all the better for it. It's based on an entry level 10m gun and that's how it's being pitched.
    Hi Charlts,
    Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.
    No I was not asking for people to agree with me, I was asking for positive comments on things like pellet types, hints on how to perfect, prepare and present the AR20FT, for instance:
    NOTE to all Hammerli users, clean the barrel before use, I put 4 pull through's through the rifle as it was treated with some sort of what I presume to be anti rusting grease. this made it perform miles better than straight out of the box.

The Mystery Shooter... I better not name him just in case it was a FLASH in the pan.

NO I'm not saying the build quality is the same as the mega bucks rifles.
    I'm saying the performance and accuracy is on par with far more expensive FT rifles... and "I know it's early day's" if they continue to perform this well, what would be the point in paying £1000 more.
    It's a bit like comparing A Mercedes and a Ford, then you realise the Ford is an RS Turbo and adds great fun and prestige to driving without the expense of buying a Mercedes.

The crack/join, I'll have to investigate, as I've not noticed or had reason to look, just so long as the rifle perform as well as it is doing. TBA

The point I was making about a bit of paint coming off of a FREE scope rail as opposed to paying for a scope rail that Steyr charge £100 for on top of the already high price of the rifle... at £1600 you would think they could include the rail... there again I suppose you pay for the extras in a Mercedes too.

The whole point is the AR20FT is NOT pretending to be the same quality as the top notch rifles, however, the initial reports and reactions are that it performs like one.

The description you give as a 10 Mtr rifle, being pitched as an entry level FT Rifle, sounds like a bit of a put down...
    If two equally good shots were competing one with a top of the range £2000 piece of kit and the other had a £650 AR20 FT would the target still fall when it was hit ?
    Answers on a postcard please, I'm spending too much of today on my PC.

Cheers and ATB
    Last edited by beatman; 01-08-2010 at 06:45 PM.
    DAYSTATE GREY SHADOW No8.... WooHoo

We don't get much upside down rain up here mate, maybe it's an issue for the Aussies though!!
    should have been at bisley in the winter, it was coming back off the ground as much as it was coming down

in all seriousness though, I expect a bit of tape would bring it back to the same level of water resistance... when it gets to a certain point, it all gets wet

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by beatman View Post

The Mystery Shooter... I better not name him just in case it was a FLASH in the pan.

The whole point is the AR20FT is NOT pretending to be the same quality as the top notch rifles, however, the initial reports and reactions are that it performs like one.

The description you give as a 10 Mtr rifle, being pitched as an entry level FT Rifle, sounds like a bit of a put down...
    If two equally good shots were competing one with a top of the range £2000 piece of kit and the other had a £650 AR20 FT would the target still fall when it was hit ?
    Answers on a postcard please, I'm spending too much of today on my PC.
    Don't know why you wouldn't name the shooter, especially as you've openly asked for feedback from good shooters - Why use someone who isn't as an example?

If it performs like one great, I look forward to hearing how it performs after being used 2-3 times a week all year round.

The description I give was taken from the Hammerli website, where the tag line "Put together your own starter set" gives it away. All the target guns are based on 10m platforms, it's the pinnacle of airgun target shooting so that's where the R&D goes.

I look forward to seeing them in the hands of top shooters, I know young Evan Grove is doing very well with his at HFT - I was with him the first day he tried his out and as I've said it's a great gun that's built to a price point. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    should have been at bisley in the winter, it was coming back off the ground as much as it was coming down

in all seriousness though, I expect a bit of tape would bring it back to the same level of water resistance... when it gets to a certain point, it all gets wet
    That's very true mate, hope they can be stripped, dried and rebuilt easy.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

The Mystery Shooter at p, a, r, c is me I am currently A grad and shot a 36 out of 40
    Today equalling the AA shooter I was with he shoots an EV2. Yes the AR20 has sum
    Issues but so do allot of other guns that cost 3 times more than the AR20 I don’t know
    Any FT or HFT shooters that shoot a gun straight from the box without ironing out the
    Rough edges AND sum! Series Issues as there seems to be sum quality control problems
    With allot of the other manufacturers out there.

If it performs like one great, I look forward to hearing how it performs after being used 2-3 times a week all year round.
    that's the real test... lets face it, there's plenty out there that can't manage a season without something going awonk...

I agree that nearly all Target style rifles need a fettle or two to help with fit etc. I own a steyr 110HP, not a cheap rifle but very basic.
    Ryan, have you not just bought a Platinum? Your having alterations made to it ar'nt you? How much have you spent on your dommi to get it to shoot how you want?
    The AR20, for £600 is a hard to beat rifle, i shot one today at Anston (hebby's) and it was really nice and accurate, steve said it was very consistant too. Time will tell if it's a good buy or not. First impressions look good. Mark
    FX Streamline STX/Aeron. MTC Connect 3-12x24 SCB

I agree that the cocking is the worst I have come across and I have bruises to show for it, it tries to be ambidextrous but you cannot easily pull the cocking lever in a straight direction using just one side so it feels strained, you cannot always grab both sides of the cocking lever as the mounted scope restricts your grip. Let's hope this becomes easier with extended use.
    Does it work like Crossman Challenger t shaped bolt ? One hand remains on the grip while the other pulls the T back ?

Can any of you AR20 owners post up some pix too please ? Kinda hard to judge if it's worth spending $$ when all there is, is advertising blurb

Quote Originally Posted by KScott_NZ View Post
    Does it work like Crossman Challenger t shaped bolt ? One hand remains on the grip while the other pulls the T back ?

Can any of you AR20 owners post up some pix too please ? Kinda hard to judge if it's worth spending $$ when all there is, is advertising blurb
    Hi,
    To answer your questions, please find a link for a video of the AR20 FT

http://videos.wittysparks.com/id/2758427561

The guy (Clark Kent) makes the cocking action look easy (3:10) however if I'm at a bench rest with the butt on my shoulder and pulling the cocking lever back onto my shoulder/chest, it gets a little sore. Guess I need to wear a shoulder pad and not a t-shirt... or I'm a big softy (I saw that coming guy's)
    Don't let this put you off as the AR20 FT is THE FT RIFLE to have

I would definitely not part with mine because of the cocking lever, it's a great rifle... if you can get hold of one !!!!

ATB
    Last edited by beatman; 02-08-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: I researched the video shooters name

im not sure how you'd get bruises...

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    im not sure how you'd get bruises...

I think I answered your question Rob,
    Thin T-Shirt, pulling back the lever/stock on to my shoulder/chest.
    I think I need a few weeks in a gym

Anyway definitely no photos before anyone asks

Oh by the way I have added the name of the shooter in the video

ATB

And thank you for your concern

I think I answered your question Rob,
    Thin T-Shirt, pulling back the lever/stock on to my shoulder/chest.
    I think I need a few weeks in a gym

Anyway definitely no photos before anyone asks

Oh by the way I have added the name of the shooter in the video

ATB

And thank you for your concern
    ah, posting at the same time... i didn't see your post... you big softy

Hi,
    To answer your questions, please find a link for a video of the AR20 FT

http://videos.wittysparks.com/id/2758427561
    Ta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4Xnr6ocAA

was where I found it originally last month. I was surprised that after using his thumb to release the lock and pull the bolt back he didn't keep his right hand on the grip and use his left to push the bolt back. Maybe it needs a few thousand cycles with some teflon lubricant ?

Ahh well, guess I'll have to wait till mine is in my hands

MojoCrow is offline It rubs the lotion on the anarchist ginger tom.....
    How much sideways play is there on the bolt? Plus any high spots on the bolt's body could make it more rough on cocking. How easy, with a scope fitted, would it be to cock it M16 style?

I could answer question myself but my boss is a bit slow sometimes and can take some convincing to stock some things.
    Customised AA S400 Carbine
    Ros beef, go home! www.buxtedshootingclub.co.uk SiHFT winners 2008 2009 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi-tong View Post
    I agree that nearly all Target style rifles need a fettle or two to help with fit etc. I own a steyr 110HP, not a cheap rifle but very basic.
    Ryan, have you not just bought a Platinum? Your having alterations made to it ar'nt you? How much have you spent on your dommi to get it to shoot how you want?
    The AR20, for £600 is a hard to beat rifle, i shot one today at Anston (hebby's) and it was really nice and accurate, steve said it was very consistant too. Time will tell if it's a good buy or not. First impressions look good. Mark
    Mark you've just agreed with everything I've said so far.

To answer your question, my Dommie stands me at £1170 including the scope which I paid £400 for. And the Platinum has had the cheekpiece re-shaped and the trigger fettled.

I'm not running the AR20's at all, as I've said before I quite like them but there's no denying they're built to a price, same as S200's and a few others. That's my only observation.