Thread: Pre War BSA Model D.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pre War BSA Model D.

Hi, How much would I have to pay for a Pre War BSA Model D in not too bad condition?
    Marsh. Thanks
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
    Hi, How much would I have to pay for a Pre War BSA Model D in not too bad condition?
    Marsh. Thanks
    I've been looking into these and would expect to pay around £250.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Marsh.....It depends on the size! (and not just calibre)...."Improved Model D" .....was only the factory designation covering various improvements (doh) on earlier guns, especially say the tap closure (more positive with spring and plunger)and other stuff, and was also a bit of a marketing coup...Airgunners were the same even then, and wanted the "latest" kit...even though it was very similar to what they had....in fact BSA offered a service where you could return you "out of date" gun to get the tap converted, and a newer design of cocking lever fitted...the only give-away would be the cylinder engraving (or lack of it) on the returned gun.

The most expensive Imp D will be the .25, I am assuming though you are looking either for a .22 "sporting" 45 inch, or the more common .177 43 inch gun (but even the Juvenile was an Improved model D!)

Well the .25.....not really sure...there has been one for for sale at £4000 at shustoke for a long while now, so we can assume that is too much...they just don't turn up very often, so really it is how much you want to pay....I would hazard £600-1000 depending on condition (I am sure I will be corrected)

.22 sporting......a bite easier, but still messy......a minter maybe £400+ with most in average to good patina condition seeming to fetch £200 +

.177 43"......quite a few around, and from £150 for a complete fair to good gun with all it's bits on....as with the others, condition is everything, and I personally would think the high £200's for a really nice one.

All said, if you are lucky enogh to get one with a good bore, they are remarkably good value, there is not much out there 100 years old in the antique world that you can get for this money that still works perfectly, and gives so much pleasure and sport!, that's before you see what £200 will get you in the way of a new gun at your local air rifle emporium

Thanks for the reply, if I get one it looks like it will have to be a .177 in the £150 range. I find the BSA range very complex (for me) but that makes it Interesting. Good job I have the BBS people.
    Thanks Marsh.
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

Hi, Just to let you know I have now got a .177 BSA Model D average condition for £150 + £10 post. Just as edbear2 said.
    It's in with all my pre war BSAs in this photo.
    http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4...rrifles001.jpg

Regards Marsh.
    PS Now I have to tell the wife!
    Last edited by Marsh.; 22-07-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: A PS.