Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do the Weihrauch HW75 and Webley Alecto compare?

Check the gun being offered, the 6M was available for a short while with Walnut target grips, they just aren't very common. Having said that, my model 6M with plastic grips is a joy to shoot and I don't think the wooden grip offers any real advantage over the plastic except the palm shelf.
    The 6 comes from "model 6" and the M is reputed to mean "Match". The model 6 pistol was designed for 10m target shooting from the outset, first as the plain old model 6 with the grip moulded in with the frame. The 6G came along with improvements to the rear-sight and separate screw-on grip halves. Finally the 6M came with an improved foresight, barrel shroud hand protector for cocking and several different grip styles. The latest of the 6Ms had wooden target grips with palm shelf similar to that fitted to the succeeding model 10.
    All models use the same Giss opposed piston recoil damping system and internal parts are interchangeable. The barrel changed on the 6M to accommodate the new micro-adjustable foresight. The barrel weight sometimes found screwed to the underside of the cocking aid comes from the model 10 and indicates a replacement shroud has been fitted. (or the original modified).
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Thanks Jef, that was very helpful.

I couldn't find what distinguished this model from other Originals anywhere, so thanks for that.

The chap said the gun was serviced about three years ago. He's asking for £120, I'll ask him to post me some pics to see if it has the palm shelf.

As for accuracy, what can I expect compared to modern SSP's?

I guess the reason I wanted a full-on target grip was because I'm shooting with an el cheapo Beeman 2004e and obviously it's not a target pistol and the sights aren't great and the grips aren't suitable. Although still a bargain for £35

If the 6m did need servicing, would it be an expensive job, or something I could maybe do myself?

Many thanks for all of the continued help.
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

If you look at the picture of the Model 10 (on Gunstar) you'll see that there's no rearwards extension of the frame at the top of the grips - I think that's an improvement over the 6M in that it allows the gun to sit lower in the hand and 'point' more naturally.

With the grips removed, you can see the difference here:

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/orig6a.html

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/orig10a.html

Iain

75??

I actually got to fire a HW75 this Wednesday,

It feels good, it looks good, it shoots good,

So does a HW 40 for a lot less dosh,

Price wise HW 40, get one.

Experience criteria,
    HW 40 .177 + Rhino 3x32 pistol scope + Daystate 4.51mm Pellets
    HW 45 .22 + RWS Superdomes .22
    HW 45 .177 don't know bought it Thursday

Back to reallity,

75 x Allecto

Allecto all the way, and yes I have one,

It is amazing and likes Webley Lazadome's and Defiants.

I guess that on paper the HW75 doesnt really make sense for the money. However, in the flesh its a different matter - its so nice to shoot and its a wonderful bit of kit. Mine feels like something I will keep forever.

I tried Cookies HW45 the other night (first time Ive fired one of these) and was inpressed - despite the recoil I managed to get some reasonable groupings after a while. I now understand comments Ive read saying that as far as these go its best to own both models.

I also tried Cookies Alecto and whilst rather synthetic in nature (a question of taste I suppose) its hard to fault and one of these is definitely on my 'wants' list!

Cheers
    Ian

Ja the Alecto is sexy I might get one if I don't get a proper 10m target pistol - it does have target grips and palm shelf and in the UBC comps it seems Alecto's sometimes outperform the PCP target pistols (Probably just cos people with expensive guns are bad shots and are trying to make up for it with fancy gear though..... )

I have the Beeman copy of the HW40 and have tried the real thing and the sights just aren't right for my arm length.

Velorum I see from your sig you have a FWB 65 and you live in Reading...maybe I should pay you a visit sometime
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

I suppose also, the Gamo Compact is a 10m target pistol, but what makes it more of a 10m target pistol than the Alecto? The Alecto has good sights, anatomical grips with adjustable palm shelf, and a MUCH nicer trigger

the Gamo does look nicer though IMO.
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming Monkey View Post
    Velorum I see from your sig you have a FWB 65 and you live in Reading...maybe I should pay you a visit sometime
    No problem - Im in Ruscombe so not far away and have a 6yd set up in my garage.

I will take it to Maidenhead club next Wednesday evening if you want to try it on the 10yd range.

Cheers
    Ian

Thumbs up 75 V Alecto

All the pistols mentioned in replies are good. Original question i would choose the Alecto , the 75 is good, but more with the Alecto, more trigger adj;, + adj palm shelf (a must imo), and variable power. the recoilless springers mentioned i would
    choose the 6M with wood grips they shoot extremely well...mike...

FWB65 Heads up mate!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Tempting.

If I only had a spare £300...

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Tempting.

If I only had a spare £300...
    You want another one?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    You want another one?
    I can daydream.......

I suppose also, the Gamo Compact is a 10m target pistol, but what makes it more of a 10m target pistol than the Alecto? The Alecto has good sights, anatomical grips with adjustable palm shelf, and a MUCH nicer trigger.
    I can't comment on the Alecto, and my only experience of the Compact is of a club gun which I can't adjust and tinker with to my own preference, but it's possible that the wooden grips on the Compact would be easier to work on and reshape if desired (I don't know if this has been done much, certainly the factory grips didn't suit me much).
    The Compact also has a better rearsight in that the notch width can be adjusted to get a sight picture of your liking, although the foresight is fixed.

Iain

PS - for 10m target shooting, I went HW75, to a HW40, and now use an Izh-46.

Thanks guys

Thanks for the heads up about the FWB 65 for sale mate...I just don't think I can spend that sort of money at the moment

The 6m I was offered is tempting but I've read they are a nightmare to service i.e impossible for me to do myself. I'm waiting for the chap to reply with what grips it has though.

Velorum - that would be awesome mate I should be able to make it down on Wednesday, maybe If I send you a PM on here on tuesday to let you know if I can make it? unless you were planning on going anyway that is. I bet I'll want one so badly after using it I'll just be forced to decimate my bank account...again

In the mean time if any of you UBC chaps want to sell me a Target Pistol...
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177