Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: JAN's FAREWELL

xxxx

Matt
    My Club: http://www.wendoverarc.co.uk
    Rifles: Air Arms S400 - Air Arms TX200HC - Webley MkII Service Rifle - BSA Imp Model D
    Pistols: Webley Seniors - Webley Juniors - Beretta 92FS - Cobra Crossbow

To the maker of the flowers we return a wonderous bloom

xxXxx

Jim & Carol D
    (Target Bunny)
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    xxXxx

Jim & Carol D
    (Target Bunny)
    A very beautiful thought, Jim and Carol. Thank you ever so much.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Xxxxxxx

I will never stop loving you, my Sweetie-pea!

XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOO

You have all my love and kisses and hugs, forever!

Your Jimmie
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jan's 57th Birthday

Today is Jan's 57th Birthday.

I observed the day by attending a luncheon in her honor with her fellow faculty members, and then spending the afternoon at the mausoleum, where I spent a couple of hours praying, and reading to her from MOBY DICK and Shakespeare's KING JOHN, which is one of the Bard's less-read and performed plays.

I'm not sure Jan ever heard it before.

Jim

Happy Birthday Lady Jan, you are truly missed.

Jim today must be very hard for you my friend, your in my thoughts fella.

All the very best

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Thanks, Jason. Yes, it was a rough day for me at times.

And no matter what people may say about rejoicing in heaven: I believe that Jan truly misses all of us, just as much as we miss her.

Jim

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Rough day Jim. I'm sure Jan enjoyed your reading, you'll have to make sure you read her the rest. It will do you both good.

Take care
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Yes, and a funny thing is that I read ahead on Moby Dick, after I left the grave (I took the streetcar, and read as I rode): but I will go back and reread (to Jan) these parts, picking up where I left off with her.

Jim

A strange coincidence

I don't know if I mentioned it here before: but (and I don't know if I mentioned this before here, either) Jan isn't buried in a grave and tombstone arrangement, but is interred in an indoor mausoluem crypt.

It's a conventional way to bury people here in New Orleans: either that way, or in an above-ground outdoor tomb. It's because of a combination of our high water table, and French tradition.

Anyway...all that is just to lead up to my point.

There are several crypts from bottom to top, and several in a horizontal line, making for a kind of wall of crypts, in a huge mausoleum with many, many such walls.

I haven't encountered even one other crypt there, out of the hundreds that I've walked by, that contains "anyone I knew": with the exception of the crypt directly above Jan, which contains the remains of a co-worker of mine!

She was like Jan: a truly beautiful woman, inside and out, and a good friend. She stuck her neck out for me during an office crisis.

She died in her 50's as well - even younger than Jan, and like Jan, her death was totally unexpected.

She and Jan were friends: and when she died, I inherited her office spaces, where I worked till I retired last December!

Is that weird, or what?

I'll bet she and Jan have some interesting conversations!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I don't know if I mentioned it here before: but (and I don't know if I mentioned this before here, either) Jan isn't buried in a grave and tombstone arrangement, but is interred in an indoor mausoluem crypt.

It's a conventional way to bury people here in New Orleans: either that way, or in an above-ground outdoor tomb. It's because of a combination of our high water table, and French tradition.

Anyway...all that is just to lead up to my point.

There are several crypts from bottom to top, and several in a horizontal line, making for a kind of wall of crypts, in a huge mausoleum with many, many such walls.

I haven't encountered even one other crypt there, out of the hundreds that I've walked by, that contains "anyone I knew": with the exception of the crypt directly above Jan, which contains the remains of a co-worker of mine!

She was like Jan: a truly beautiful woman, inside and out, and a good friend. She stuck her neck out for me during an office crisis.

She died in her 50's as well - even younger than Jan, and like Jan, her death was totally unexpected.

She and Jan were friends: and when she died, I inherited her office spaces, where I worked till I retired last December!

Is that weird, or what?

I'll bet she and Jan have some interesting conversations!

Jim
    i know this a bit late but 1 of 2 things is happening
    1 the universe is playing silly-buggers with you!
    2 there women! they organize things for convince!
    which ever one it is,as long as you think of Jan, you remember her smile and all the good things
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

OR, it could be BOTH No. 1. and No. 2.

By the way...The nonsense we're being fed about "we're all living to be 85..." is just that: nonsense!

There are 6 names on the vertical row of crypts where Jan is buried. One name is mine. The other five have already died.

I was born in 1951. Of the five who are already "in there", four have lived less time than I have.

And I see this throughout the mausoleum. The saddest tomb says simply, "Baby Curren 08-04-05" (meaning August 4, 2005, by the US dating practice).

The poor kid apparently died the day of birth, without even being named.

Very sad.
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 10-10-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Farewell Jan

Jim
    I do not know of a single person who met her who does not miss Jan.

However, Most of us also met YOU and enjoyed that experience as well. Whilst we miss her and regret her passing I for one, I can not speak directly for the others, would very much like to continue our aquaintance with you in the longer term.

Miss Jan, that's right, respectfull and proper.

Just, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, remember you have our support and your best interests at heart. Our problem is the distance between us in the physical sense and that we can not turn up to help you when you are feeling despondent and in need of solace.
    We are here on line. What support we can give, we will give freely.

With the greatest of respect.
    Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Thank you, Jim.

The support of our many friends here on the BBS and the UBC has been critically important to me in getting through these rough times. You've all been more help to me than you will probably ever know.

Jim