Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: " Car boot " Day !

hi

we was at lake windermere

at the airshow instead ...took buttys and it didnt cost a penny

great day out ...the army recruits wagon was there with a big paintball tent

had a shoot there for fun ...again all for free

Quote Originally Posted by pmcb View Post
    Heh heh heh... boot sales... it always amuses me that nobody wants to pay more than 50p for an item, but they all line up at the food van to pay 4 quid for a hamburger!

ATB
    Phil
    Too bloody true, I do one every now'n'again to have a clear out and it never ceases to amaze me, and not in a good way. The last one I did (last Sunday) I sold a working Arc Welder with cables for a tenner and most were still turning their noses up. Sold a £200 trolly for £30, had many an offer of a tenner.
    About seven years ago I sold a BSA Goldstar at one for £90 (couldn't get along with it) again still had the offers of twenty quid here n there.
    *shakes head

Ye do get the odd useful bargain though is ye look around like the odd rifle (though rarer to see down here in London, all behind closed doors n all that). Picked up a very nice very early Kukri for a couple o'quid.

edbear2 Guest
    I had some old dear trying to sell me an old Dutch shotgun... she said it was made in 'Holland and Holland' or something... the old gun looked more brown than blued, so i ignored the confused old girl, kept hold of the 25 quid she wanted, and kept on walking...
    I went to a one closer to Wales about a year ago, and an old dear had a sam browne in VGC for a tenner....but a big guy barged in front and said "I'll have that!"....so I was about to walk off when I spotted a rusty sword handle cap thing sticking up from a box.......pulled it out, and now (after some research at the Birmingham International recently)...I have a very early 17th century Japanese Washizaki sword, in a WW2 leather combat cover which has apparently polished 3-4 times meaning it has seen a lot of combat over the years......Not my normal sort of thing, and I am in the process of selling it to a dealer, but £500 is quite a good return on £25 I think

The stuff she was selling was her late husbands "under the bed" collection....I told her it was all worth far more than she was asking, but she just said "I don't need the money, and am moving to a smaller house near my daughter.....I actually was going to throw it all away, but am here with a friend for a day out"

That big guy I mentioned........I only bought the sword to see the look on his face......he looked like a dealer, and I could see he was really peed off he had missed it, but if he had been a bit more polite in the first place, I may have taken the £200 he offered me a few moments later

Cool

they sell guns at car boot sales the last one i went to sombody was selling a stolen phone and condoms!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by hulk239 View Post
    they sell guns at car boot sales the last one i went to sombody was selling a stolen phone and condoms!
    ... Hope they weren't second hand !!! ... Ha ha ha. Hi, and welcome to the best bit of the BBS.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ... Hope they weren't second hand !!! ... Ha ha ha. Hi, and welcome to the best bit of the BBS.
    cheers for the welcome and their was some white stuff on them condoms......

Quote Originally Posted by Peterthegmtb View Post
    About seven years ago I sold a BSA Goldstar at one for £90 (couldn't get along with it) again still had the offers of twenty quid here n there.
    *shakes head
    I've learned from bitter experience to never take a decent air rifle to the boot sale to sell. Not unless you display it where people can't easily get at it. By the time numerous ignorant folk have cocked and dry fired the bleedin thing (testing the spring see, because they're 'experts' ) it is indeed worth closer to the ridiculous sums they offer than what you're asking for it.

The rude folk also piss me off. There are those who will barge in when you're in the middle of a deal, snatch the object from your hand and try and buy it in front of you. Thankfully, most stallholders possess a sense of fair play and manners, and it has been known for them to refuse to sell at any cost to such a person.

We also get the 'pack rats' described by the poster earlier. Those who are cheeky enough to actually open the van or car doors and dive in before the seller has actually got out of his car. One 'booter' I've seen has a smashing way of dealing with these people. He'll get out, lock all the doors, go fetch a cup of tea and return to sit in his car, sipping his tea and calmly ignoring the mob surrounding his car.

I had some old dear trying to sell me an old Dutch shotgun... she said it was made in 'Holland and Holland' or something... the old gun looked more brown than blued, so i ignored the confused old girl, kept hold of the 25 quid she wanted, and kept on walking...
    if it was a holland and holland (they are made in london), they are worth a fair bit, even in bad condition

Quote Originally Posted by joe366 View Post
    if it was a holland and holland (they are made in london), they are worth a fair bit, even in bad condition
    I think he was messing about Joe

John

I think you know that really!!!!
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I went to one on Friday evening and got the Band of Brothers DVD box set for £2.00. Then I got a job lot of 3 Makita cordless drills... only 1 charger with them but all good batteries and working well. £20.00 the LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    I went to one on Friday evening and got the Band of Brothers DVD box set for £2.00. Then I got a job lot of 3 Makita cordless drills... only 1 charger with them but all good batteries and working well. £20.00 the LOT.

Well done mate- fantastic results

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    Could you actually see the lorry they'd fallen off the back of as it retreated into the distance?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.