Thread: COL Cartridge Overall Length

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I tend to agree with most of that

I can never understand why some reloaders start adjusting charge weight before COL as the COL makes most difference on most factory rifles, get that right with chosen bullet and then start charge weight testing

And buy a decent comparator, use Ogive to measure best distance to lands
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    I tend to agree with most of that

I can never understand why some reloaders start adjusting charge weight before COL as the COL makes most difference on most factory rifles, get that right with chosen bullet and then start charge weight testing

And buy a decent comparator, use Ogive to measure best distance to lands
    Absolutely, couldn't agree more
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

Reloading

I fully agree with all the above. i am currently going through load testing based on the COL and different bullets.
    Keep shooting

oh dear...

Just spotted this....

When a bullet is made (by the swaging process, as most are) a copper cup and lead core are pushed into a forming die at very high pressures. The copper and lead squeeze together forming the ogive and bearing surface, but the tip gets little attention in the process. The bullet is usually popped out of the forming die by a little wire into the point (the meplat). This is the reason that match hollow points are even hollow points, that little wire pokes a hole into to the thin copper jacket upon removal.
    The reason match hollow points have hollow points is because the core is seated from the front of the bullet, this has nothing to do with ejector punches.

'comparators' are the new fad.
    Simply check the overall length of a bullet from your selected manufacturer then check them all again with your comparator, you will find that you still measure differences!

COL

HI, Most factory build rifles will vary in chamber size unless you have a blueprinted action. I always check the aol before reloading and make sure the bullet head is 2 thou at most from the lands. this has given me fantasitc groups with the right weight charge for weight, speed, rifling. LIfe without the barrel harmonics putting the groups out is great.
    Shoot straight and safe , Monty57.