Thread: .223 Loading question

.223 Loading question

I'm thinking of getting a variation for centrefire and need a .223 for fox control at my uncles farm but also want to do some target shooting at the club with it. The only problem is that the range max velocity is 2150 ft/s and obviously .223 are way over that. Some at the club download and shoot this round but I have never managed to be there to see it being shot.

My question to those far more knowledgeble than me is, can .223 be reloaded to be below the range max velocity, are there special powders for this and is it safe?

My question to those far more knowledgeble than me is, can .223 be reloaded to be below the range max velocity, are there special powders for this and is it safe?[/QUOTE]

Yes to all the of the above.
    If there are members at your club already doing this with 223 then you need to talk to them.
    No special powders needed, just the right one(s)!
    A powder manufacturers starting load may be all you will need.
    HTH
    Tony

russian sniper is offline 1982 Sausage roll and cider gargling regional finalist
    Yep a minimum stated load might be all you need - as said above.
    BUT don't be tempted to load below the minimum powder load as its very dangerous!
    Always keep within the minimum and maximum powder loads stated for the bullet type/weight.

Daz

Ruger_shooter is offline Meadowlark Lemon's Personal Tailor
    Target shoot as much as you like on your uncle's farm. 2150ft/sec is very low for .223 rounds so why are restrictions imposed?

Have a look on the hodgdon site. you can use h4895 in reduced loads down to 60%. Alternatively trail boss can be used to subsonic velocities as long as your twist rate is fast enough to stabilize the bullet at lower velocities. hth.

went down that route a few years ago used 55 g full lead heads with bullseye both gas checked and not ,key holed at 30 yards so gave up as a bad idea but mine was a 1 in 12 twist ,some ranges have different rules ,indoor the one i went to was passed up to 45 ,pistol cal carbines but there are some restrictions on the type of heads you use cant remember but i seem to think jacketed/ball or hollow point whernt accepted as target loads from a cntr fire rifle on indoor range
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

Solution found in the name of the .22 Hornet!

8 grains of H110 and a 53g bullet give me a velocity of near enough 2000 ft/s

Might be worth checking whether your club has a muzzle energy limit in addition to the muzzle velocity limit. Some do.

Psychosomatic88 is offline Played the Honey monster in a police line up
    Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Might be worth checking whether your club has a muzzle energy limit in addition to the muzzle velocity limit. Some do.
    Correct, and our one has the same fps limit, and if memory serves its around 650FPE at the muzzle, so I guess yours is similar.
    Mauser Kar98K 8x57 ~ Mosin Nagant PU Sniper 7.62x54r ~ Mateba Grifone .357 ~ Mauser M12 impact .308 ~ Steyr AUG .223 ~ Sig Sauer 522 .22lr ~ Mauser ES340B .22lr ~ Beretta SV10 Prevail ~ Beretta 1301 Comp 10+1 ~ Armsan A612 ~ Newhaven Mossberg 600et .410 pump

dont forget indoor check your heads
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER