Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with the FWB Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    how can the FWB sport be compared to say the MK1 HW80 from the same era the only thing the sport had going for it it was much lighter than the HW80 i see it like this the sport had cheap weak plastic opensights a poor trigger and useless safety unit not just the plastic blade units the whole range mk 123 were way inferior to the HW record unit the sports barrel breech bolt and lockup assembly were inferior to the HW80' the sports barrel was no more accurate than an 80 i remember buying new FWB sports in the late 70's early 80's they were twangy and horrid to shoot from the box and needed a fair bit of tuning to make them shoot nice i think i've owned around 20 sports over the years they all got sold on i still own a 30 year old MK1 HW80 no plastic bits on it shoots and looks as good today as then and you can still get parts history shows which was the best spring gun if i remember the HW80 finished the sport off as with the other top airguns around at the time original 45/bsf 55/HW35/BSA S models etc they all died a lingering slow death only serious competition to the 80 came from another and even better HW the awsom 77

Dave.
    Very profound and concise Dave. It would have held more credibility if you hadn't been an 'Out Of The Closet' self declared Relum fan.
    (I haven't forgive you for selling that Appel o/p mount the other day. )

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

DM80 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Maybe it’s the North/South thing that Jim sometmes talks about Dave, but my experience selling airguns back then was that the 80 did very well pre’77’ but it didn’t, as you say, finish off the competition. It was the carbine version of the ‘77’ that did this.

Down south the Sport was dominant in FT. It’s record is hard to deny winning the first 4 national titles. True the 80 did well with the likes of Richard North and co but at 12ftlbs the Sport was the most successful break barrel - fact.

It’s a difficult rifle to shoot, it doesn’t work for everyone. One of my shooting buddys back then, Terry Wheeler (who incidently won a national title with a 45), couldn’t shoot them to save his life. My Father John could never get the best from the Sport. Lots of talented airgunners just can’t get on with the FWB. I understand your frustration Dave because if they don’t work for you the loyalty they engender is, and always will remain, a mystery.

sure the FWB sport won a few club shoots and even a few of the early field target shoots in the late 70's early 80's as did the original 45, HW35, even the airsporter s won a few god knows how when the HW80 arrived a few folk moaned it was big and heavy but once its potential was known it outsold all the other sporters of the time i remember going to shoots in the mid 80's everyone used tuned HW80/HW77's if you didnt you got knowwhere in fact you were lucky to see any of the other sporters at events the HW's dominated the late 80's till the AA shamal arrived on the scene by which time the sport and others were long gone mind you their was a FWB sport mk3 they probably sold around 5 i've only ever seen 1 and i'am near 50'ish

Ian you still must have a good few APEL's left you never sell anything your to tight i have few left boxed new mainly HW and the BSA types but aint selling' these are like gold dust imagine how much they would cost in todays prices.

Dave.

...even the airsporter s won a few god knows how
    At a well-attended club shoot in the early 1980s, I loaned a lad (who had never before shot field target) my .22" Vulcan with a Tasco 2.75x40mm non-parallax adjustable scope, and some Eley Wasp pellets.

He won the event, beating the experienced lads with their FWB Sports, HW35s and 80s, and Original 45s, many of them professionally tuned. They were not happy. .

i've only ever seen 1 and i'am near 50'ish

Ian you still must have a good few APEL's left you never sell anything your to tight i have few left boxed new mainly HW and the BSA types but aint selling' these are like gold dust imagine how much they would cost in todays prices.

Dave.
    The wrong side of 50.
    Picked up another HW Apel at that seaside gunshop yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    They were not happy. .
    Which dwarf were they then?

The BSF break barrel range has only been briefly mentioned in comparison. Weren't they as well built as the 'Sport and even lighter with as much, if not more, power potential?

ATB
    Ian

sure the FWB sport won a few club shoots and even a few of the early field target shoots in the late 70's early 80's as did the original 45, HW35, even the airsporter s won a few god knows how when the HW80 arrived a few folk moaned it was big and heavy but once its potential was known it outsold all the other sporters of the time i remember going to shoots in the mid 80's everyone used tuned HW80/HW77's if you didnt you got knowwhere in fact you were lucky to see any of the other sporters at events the HW's dominated the late 80's till the AA shamal arrived on the scene by which time the sport and others were long gone mind you their was a FWB sport mk3 they probably sold around 5 i've only ever seen 1 and i'am near 50'ish

Dave.
    FT started in 1980, the HW80 was introduced in early 1981. When it first appeared it had a brief period of success until chronographing was introduced in June 81. From then until mid 85 when the 77 took over there was always 124’s on the podium and yes you are correct there were alot of 80’s about in FT but then someone had to make up the numbers.

Had one Ray Gun 127 mint and have to admit I passed it on because it just didn't do it for me.

Its a weight game; anything with a few extra pounds with a spring in it is going to shoot from the shoulder more consistently. A HW77 thrashes a HW80. Youngsters, women and a good few of us are just not built to hall all that weight about. You can definitely shoot a Sport all day which can't be said of a lot of things out there. The Sport is the nearest to classic sporting rimfires which happens to be the nicest handling rifles of all time.

BSF, S70?, now that was a little joy marred by trying to get too much power packed in. The Webley Vulcan did the power thing best in a small package. If only the trigger had have been half reasonable which it wasn't.

Apel mounts, just love them.

Anyone have an opinion on the nearest handling PCP () to a Sport?

DM80 Guest
    At a well-attended club shoot in the early 1980s, I loaned a lad (who had never before shot field target) my .22" Vulcan with a Tasco 2.75x40mm non-parallax adjustable scope, and some Eley Wasp pellets.

He won the event, beating the experienced lads with their FWB Sports, HW35s and 80s, and Original 45s, many of them professionally tuned. They were not happy. .
    Jim i remember going to a shoot in the mid 80's at then my local clud blackburn arc i came in 2nd using my then new .177 webley omega' some lad won with a HW77 but on a good note i beat a certain Mr Ian jones into 3rd spot using his HW80 he probably dont remember that he's a fair few years older than me didnt keep the webley long i did like everyone else at the time traded in for a HW77K

Ian BSF's were good strong accurate well made guns more or less bomb proof really' but they were ugly as sin i only really liked the 70 a nice gun the BSF 80 should have been burned at the stake along with FWB mk3 sport probably one of the best guns around then was the HW85 luxus it really did have everything a superd airgun i still own a .177 85 luxus as new wont sell it for the world but if ever i do you have 1st refusal promised you that a few years ago and i dont forget.

my favourate rifles from the 70/80's

HW85/80/77
    Original 45
    RWS 45
    BSF70
    Anschutz 335

Dave.

This debate is much like the choice of woman we make; it is all down to the looks, the build, how they feel and how well they perform.
    Being very much a 'serial rifle bigamist' (like I.J.!!) I have to have all of them!
    ATB,
    Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Jim i remember going to a shoot in the mid 80's at then my local clud blackburn arc i came in 2nd using my then new .177 webley omega' some lad won with a HW77 but on a good note i beat a certain Mr Ian jones into 3rd spot using his HW80 he probably dont remember that he's a fair few years older than me didnt keep the webley long i did like everyone else at the time traded in for a HW77K
    Blackburn & District? Eeee, that takes me back to the early 1980s, when the founder of that club used to call me at the SAR office.

Hell of a challenge conversing with him; his thick Lancastrian accent I could just about cope with, but the constant banjo accompaniment made it nigh-on impossible to understand what the little chap was trying to say.

BTW: The Original 45 was more accurate from the bench than the Omega, as well.

DM80 Guest
    Blackburn & District? Eeee, that takes me back to the early 1980s, when the founder of that club used to call me at the SAR office.

Hell of a challenge conversing with him; his thick Lancastrian accent I could just about cope with, but the constant banjo accompaniment made it nigh-on impossible to understand what the little chap was trying to say.

BTW: The Original 45 was more accurate from the bench than the Omega, as well.

that would be Ian could'nt shut him up themdays i'am sure at that time him and old jack used to walk round the club with sidearms round their waist well brococks really as for understanding them i'am from bolton and still cant understand some of the lads from blachburn

the original 45 great gun they shoot much better then the sport when tuned properly and are a much stronger gun still own 2 but have to say the later RWS 38/34S were even better

dave.

but on a good note i beat a certain Mr Ian jones into 3rd spot using his HW80 he probably dont remember that he's a fair few years older than me
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    Being very much a 'serial rifle bigamist' (like I.J.!!) I have to have all of them!
    ATB,
    Eric

that would be Ian could'nt shut him up themdays i'am sure at that time him and old jack used to walk round the club with sidearms round their waist well brococks really as for understanding them i'am from bolton and still cant understand some of the lads from blachburn
    dave.
    Gentlemen. Gentlemen. Can we please get back onto the subject and desist from mocking the afflicted.

ATB
    Ian

the original 45 great gun they shoot much better then the sport when tuned properly and are a much stronger gun still own 2 but have to say the later RWS 38/34S were even better

dave.
    Side arms round their brococks That could be nasty!!!!!!!!!

Time for bed for this thread I think! Can't be anything else worthwhile saying!!

ATVB
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    Time for bed for this thread I think! Can't be anything else worthwhile saying!!

ATVB
    David
    It certainly turned out to be an interesting one

Following much thought, I have for the moment decided to stick with my .177 HW35K and get a tuning kit put in it, rather than buy a Sport.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    It certainly turned out to be an interesting one

Following much thought, I have for the moment decided to stick with my .177 HW35K and get a tuning kit put in it, rather than buy a Sport.
    A HW35 and a 'Sport? As different as chalk and cheese. As original poster on this fine thread which has included many interesting comments (and insults ), one of the finest topics thats graced this forum in many a moon, I would suggest you snatch up the first available, decent value 'Sport you come across. You know you will regret the decision otherwise.

ATB
    Ian