Thread: Help Required: HW80 - cocking link and cocking shoe.

Help Required: HW80 - cocking link and cocking shoe.

Just back from a weekend up in the hills on a coffee plantation and as luck would have it, the only shooting I did was with the camera.

For close to 10 years I have resisted decocking my HW80K and I don't know what came over me this time but I did just that before the first shot could be fired. The first time round, the rifle decocked without a problem. However, on the second ocassion, I did not hold the barrel fully back before releasing the trigger. So, next thing I know, the cocking link has come loose. After trekking back to the house and removing the stock, I find that the cocking link/lever, has a slight arch, rather than being parallel to the cylinder. Since I'm pretty certain it shouldn't be this way, I straighten it out but it keeps coming off the cocking shoe, when I shut the barrel after cocking.

The exploded diagram for the HW80 shows the inner face of the cocking shoe, rather than the outer and I am unable to tell if a part has broken off. If indeed, something has broken, it is the cleanest break, I have ever seen to date.

Hence, I would be grateful if some kind soul would take a pic of the outer face of the cocking shoe and send it to me. A side ways pic of the cocking link, whilst in position, would also help, so that I can judge the amount of clearance between the cocking link, breech block and cylinder. For this pic, the cocking link should be parallel to the ground.

Many thanks.

Rustam
    Last edited by Rustam Bana; 29-11-2004 at 09:59 AM.

Managed to see a pic of the cocking shoe in Bulmer's October article. At least nothing seems to have broken off on mine but I am wondering if the tolerances could have been changed. Or am I now looking at the cocking link/lever as the main problem part?

Could really use some experienced advice.

Thanks.

Rustam

Just guessing that the cocking shoe's metal tab that fits into the notch on the cocking arm has bent out slightly. Maybe try flattening the tab and see if it locates into the notch better? If there is no tab on the cocking shoe, it is possible that the tab has broken off completely!

speedi Guest
    Done the same on my 80 years back. Solved by buying and fitting a new shoe as it had broke the tab off. Was only a pennies to buy, in fact i think the postage was about 200 times as much as the shoe. Do you have spares available in india?

Quote Originally Posted by Numb Nut
    Maybe try flattening the tab and see if it locates into the notch better?
    Now that you mention it, I did do that as well but to no avail.

Rustam

Quote Originally Posted by speedi
    Done the same on my 80 years back. Solved by buying and fitting a new shoe as it had broke the tab off. Was only a pennies to buy, in fact i think the postage was about 200 times as much as the shoe. Do you have spares available in india?
    No spare parts in India but one of my friend's on the BBS is sending me the link and shoe, so it should be up and running soon.

When you had this problem in the past, did you notice that the cocking link/lever had arched a bit? If so, after hammering it back into shape, was it useable?

Rustam

speedi Guest
    I didnt notice any bending of the cocking link, and as it worked after i replaced the shoe, i never gave it a second thought. Sorry i cant help you on that bit. From what i remember tho, isnt the tab on the shoe slightly raised so the hook on the link arm goes underneith it (against the cylinder) and would therefor resist falling out after you close the barrel. I might be completely wrong, but someone on here might confirm or deny.

http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/W...W80%20plan.htm

Try this link its another exploded diagram on the 80, it might be different from the one you have been looking at. The link arm looks straight as a die to me (apart from the front and backend of it of course). The shoes tab is lowered a little from the main shape of the shoe which might back up my claim that this is what stops the cocking arm from falling out when the barrel is closed.

Has your shoes tab been broken off or is it now flat with the rest of the shoe?
    Last edited by speedi; 30-11-2004 at 06:17 PM.

"I didnt notice any bending of the cocking link"

Mine was probably courtesy of the 20 ft.lbs. main-spring.

"Has your shoes tab been broken off or is it now flat with the rest of the shoe?"

No, the tab isn't broken and it's more or less parallel to the main body.

Thanks.

Rustam