Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fixed mag 10x scope suggestions?

Lash13 Guest

fixed mag 10x scope suggestions?

Hi...whats a good 10x fixed mag scope...and where from? No one seems to have one.

Gary C Guest
    Try looking at the HFT results pages mate.
    Should get a few ideas from EB to Nikko to Tasco

Give Sparky a shout, he may be able to sort you out.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

There is also the Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10x

David
    Last edited by Aeroman; 29-11-2004 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Better image found and at a cheaper shop too!

I might be able to find you a boxed, mint, used EB 10x42 for a very reasonable price. Email me if you're interested.

Jonathan

Super Sniper, Nikko, EB etc but do not buy one without adjustable PA, either side wheel or rear IMHO.

David.

The Bushnell Elite 3200 is very good. If you're using it for HFT you don't need adjustable parallax, but it has to be reset, which is easy to do. Cheaper to import from USA. Search on the BBS for more info.
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan
    If you're using it for HFT you don't need adjustable parallax,
    I don't fully agree with that statement. Parallax certainly cannot be reset during a competition but you may wish to set it prior to starting due to the course setup or the prevailing conditions of the day. Even one or two yards of PA change may put you into a better comfort zone on any given day.
    Also if you are going to spend a considerable amount of money I like to build in maximum versatility given all other factors equal.

David.

Lash13 Guest
    Yea..I was looking at the Bushnell but I'm not sure how you reset Parallax on a scope. I dont mind taking things to bits.. just dunno how to do it.

Hi David, I'm a relative beginner, and anxious to learn. I'd have thought that a 10X40 scope has a depth of field which, when parallaxed to about 30 yards, will keep most HFT targets in focus. Could you elaborate your point please, as I don't fully understand.
    Thanks.
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Gary C Guest
    With respect to DAR I totally disagree.

Set your parallax and stick to it. You have 2 main choices at x10.

1/ Blurred at 8, fuzzy at 10 and slightly blurred at 45.
    2/ Very blurred at 8 , blurred a 10 and crystal at 45.

It's down to you playing the odds. if you want to Range find by bracketing you need crystal clear at 45, and run the risk of not being able to see a well shot reducer at 8..
    On the other hand you can use the optical resolution to rangefind - say clear at 35, bit blurred at 45.. and get good image at 8 to 10.

Your choice but chopping and changing between courses will simply confuse you in a comp.

sniper22 Guest
    b.a.r had a s/h d.m.p 10x42 last week. i bought it and then another came in. give em a bell to see if its still there.
    crystal clear optics and it was cheap at £240.

bozzerman Guest
    Agree with everything Gary is saying....

but would add....

I like to be able to quickly change the PA simply for practice purposes...

I choose the option '1' in Gary's post so 45 is going blurred....in a comp this can help a little as Gary suggests because if in doubt whether a target is 40 yards tok or 45 1md you get a clue with the 'blurredness'.

but.....when practising down the woods if I've put a paper target out to 45 yards I like to be able to see where my pellets are hitting....so a quick tweak of the pa allows me to do this.....similar story for practising the 8s and 10s. One thing having to shoot the odd 8 yarder in a comp which is really blurred but if you are practising at one for 10 mins..does my head in. Takes 2 secs with a pa scope but is a pain if you have to keep screwing off front rings etc.

When you're happy with the groupings you can always have a final practice with the pa at 27 yards so that the extremes are blurred as in a comp situation.

Boz
    Last edited by bozzerman; 29-11-2004 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    With respect to DAR I totally disagree.
    Me too, and I actually prefer the Elite because seen as it doesn't have the variation in the PA, (be it side or front), I've found that the clear picture has a bigger range over a scope with PA (mine was clearer than my EB from 10-45yds).
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

I think I will have to stop playing with my ring and leave it in a fixed position. I often do shot and practice with Gary's 1/, never tried 2/. I presume all the top shots leave scopes fixed then, one way or another. Perhaps thats where I'm going wrong and with the good advice given and accepted perhaps my scores will improve.
    I still think its better to have a PA than non PA. You might want to use it for more than HFT.

David.