Thread: 10 metre pistol update

10 metre pistol update

Hi guys,

Since buying a FAS 604 and putting in some serious practice I can now keep the majority of my shots in the black

The grip fits me almost perfectly, but I tend to loose circulation to my fingers very quickly and have to keep putting the gun down. Am I gripping it to tight or incorrectly or is this just normal?

I say the grip is almost perfect because I need to fill a small gap between my little finger and the palm shelf. Any guides on how to do this, and what material to use anywhere?

I want whatever I add to be able to be removed without damaging or marking the grips at all, that's quite important.

Thanks for reading, any advice much appreciated
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

One of the chaps at the club uses Blu-tack covered with bits of chamois leather. I though it was grip paste at first.

HTH

Mark

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I only know about this second-hand - but it certainly sounds workable...

1) Cover grip in cling film
    2) Apply 'Joy plastic wood' where required
    3) Put on a latex glove and lightly grease where required.
    4) Grip pistol as normal (maybe a bit harder to mould the plastic wood)
    5) Let the plastic wood go off
    6) Remove cling film and trim the inserts you have made
    7) Apply custom inserts with something like Copydex

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    3) Put on a latex glove and lightly grease where required.

That could take some explaining if one's partner enters the room at the wrong moment. :

Haha yes it could.

Thanks for those instructions Harvey_s, I'll look into it.
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming Monkey View Post
    Hi guys,

Since buying a FAS 604 and putting in some serious practice I can now keep the majority of my shots in the black

The grip fits me almost perfectly, but I tend to loose circulation to my fingers very quickly and have to keep putting the gun down. Am I gripping it to tightor incorrectly or is this just normal?

I say the grip is almost perfect because I need to fill a small gap between my little finger and the palm shelf. Any guides on how to do this, and what material to use anywhere?

I want whatever I add to be able to be removed without damaging or marking the grips at all, that's quite important.

Yes you are.

The pistol should be supported, not gripped. Use 2nd and 3rd fingers to bring the grip back to the webbing between your thumb and fore finger. Someone should be able to come along and GENTLY take the pistol from your grip without any force.

Another indication I look for when coaching is to see if the knuckles have turned white. If they have, again you are gripping to tight (or you've just died).

Remember, for every force you place on the pistol, there has to be a reaction, so let the pistol just sit there. A little movement or space below the last finger won't make much difference as long as the palm shelf supports your hand.

As I replied to you by pm (I think it was you <Edit, it was Jpayne>) the only thing to move, should be your finger from the middle knuckle down.

Do this and all your shots will be in the black

Bob
    Last edited by Prone Shooter; 07-08-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Fas

The correct pressure of the grip is very important, too tight also causes the muscles to tighten and results in an inabilitly to get the trigger to break smoothly, too light and the gun can move when the trigger is taken. It's one of the things I practice during dry firing. Its very difficult to define an exact grip to some one else, but a good practice technique to help you find it is best done dry firing. Grip the pistol as tight as you can before the shudder caused by over gripping comes in and still keep a still hold and take the trigger , then try as light as you can and still take the trigger with out moving the sight picture. The two extremes will show you where the middle is and thats what suits most people. As you are at the early stage a good coach would also be benificial before you get into bad habits.
    The old Mk 1 FAS grips were also a bit thin in the palm, the new ones are much better, look on the pictures of my polished FAS that Harvey put on your first post (My new Toy). You'll also notice that I have the trigger right back into the frame. As important as grip tension is trigger finger position and a straight pull and this can be adjusted by modding the grips and trigger. The FAS can be dry fired by just lifting the top until it clicks then closing, thats then set the trigger with out charging the air. The trigger can be adjusted for weight, position, and length of pull but it is quite fiddly to get it where you want it but when right they are excelent.
    Have fun and good shooting.
    Robin

I tried to link to the pictures but not very good with computors! just look on your old post!
    Last edited by RobinC; 08-08-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I've used Milliput on my grips, fairly cheap at £2 - £3 (from craft shop etc). Its an epoxy you mould together, takes a fair while to set fully, and every easy to work with (like plastercine).

Once set you can sand it and work with it as per wood.

I haven't had to remove any from my grips, but I've been told it can be done.

Steve.

You could also try isopon p38.

Thanks guys.

Robin C, I was very pleased to discover the FAS' dry firing function, I now practice dry firing and it certainly helps.

Prone Shooter, thanks for the grip advice

Thanks for all the tips on grip modding - may not need to do it afterall but good to know
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Hi guys,

Isn't that a great feeling?

After years of pistol shooting, I'm almost there!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

[QUOTE

Thanks for all the tips on grip modding - may not need to do it afterall but good to know [/QUOTE]

It's probably a good idea to leave it, at least until you have the experience to be sure that what you are doing will be benificial. Pistol shooting is quite technical and some good one to one coaching from an experienced coach will do wonders for your shooting and saves months (or more) of searching about in the dark.
    Good shooting and have fun.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    [QUOTE

Thanks for all the tips on grip modding - may not need to do it afterall but good to know
    It's probably a good idea to leave it, at least until you have the experience to be sure that what you are doing will be benificial. Pistol shooting is quite technical and some good one to one coaching from an experienced coach will do wonders for your shooting and saves months (or more) of searching about in the dark.
    Good shooting and have fun.
    Robin[/QUOTE]

Spot on and stops you getting into bad habits as well

Thanks guys.

Robin C, I was very pleased to discover the FAS' dry firing function, I now practice dry firing and it certainly helps.

Prone Shooter, thanks for the grip advice
    Pleasure mate good luck with your progression.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Thanks guys.

Where could I get like a day of coaching or something, do the NSRA do it? I'm not miles away from them.
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

Thanks guys.

Where could I get like a day of coaching or something, do the NSRA do it? I'm not miles away from them.
    Join a good target based club, most have qualified coaches, if they don't they will be able to recomend one. Look on the NSRA club finder for clubs in your area.
    Good shooting, and have fun.
    Robin