Thread: Kelly Trigger

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    HM,

This thread is a blast from the past!

I think there is some, although a version of the foresight is produced by Barry Nelson, up in Yorkshire. The Kelly version looks a little nicer, but Anschutz changed their foresight mount back in 1987, so it won't fit newer rifles; not without modification or an adaptor.

As for history, John Kelly didn't actually invent the turnover foresight. He based it on an American design, the Womack, admittedly improving the design. John was a regular at the US Nationals held at Camp Perry, and probably came across the Womack there. He shot on the Pershing team, at least once, and I think gained his GB cap before his County cap! He shot for a London club, near Walthamstow, possibly Walthamstow Ensign.

As well as triggers and foresight, he made rearsights, experimented with barrel bedding, and made stocks. I've seen a few beech thumbholes, and one LH metal skeleton stock. The metal stock looked very similar to the Gemini 703, but pre- dated it by several years.

John died around 1997.

I finally found one of his triggers in 2016. And it's attached to my Kenyon-smithed 1913. The release is very crisp, and will safely go to scary light. Unusually, John's trigger will fit any Anschutz Match 54, which Anschutz and Kenyon triggers won't, the geometry of the bent differing between pre-1980 and post-1980 rifles.
    Last edited by tim s; 18-02-2018 at 07:57 PM.