Thread: Martini Henry cleaning

Martini Henry cleaning

I've just bought some black powder and have loaded some rounds to shoot in the near future. What do I need too do in the way of cleaning after shooting it.

I have rods and jags but only nitro cleaning solvent do I need black powder solvent or will just pouring hot water down the barrel do and then clean with nitro solvent.

Any advice?

I use Mr Muscle window cleaner with added vinager(dont add your own vinager)on all my muzzleloaders.It works a treat and it doesn't cost much.I always store them with a good oil though.

I use Stardrops and hot water.
    Apparently some detergents have salt in it, Stardrops doesn't, so I'm told.
    I have been using it for years and had no problem.

Don't use oil to clean it.
    I did the first time I cleaned a blackpowder gun and the residue ended up like black oily sugar.
    I didn't make that mistake again.

Dry the gun well after cleaning and oil it in the usual way.

Wigan Bear,

One thing with the MH is after your last shot if you can leave the case in then push a couple of patches down from the muzzle. This saves some of the crap ending up in the action.

Just my 2 peance!

T

Shot the rifle for the first time today with blackpowder, 75gr of Kranks ffg with a 500gr lubed bullet. Very pleased with the accuracy and the recoil seemed very tame but it's taking me ages to clean it. Loads of boiling water and rodding with a bronze brush and No 9 and patches are still coming out black!!!!!!!

Going to try stardrops and or the window cleaner next time.

I've been advised to try 80gr next time which should just about fill the case with no filler needed.

I can't believe how filthy BP is! I'm used to using No 9 and a few patches with my 7.62 and job done.

Washing up liquid did it in the end.

greenshoots Guest
    Washing up liquid did it in the end.
    salt..

greenshoots

Don't panic! Washed it out with warm water and ran an oiled mop down it after it had been sat on a radiater for a couple of hours cooking!!!!!!!. Going to get some stardrops as suggested. Seems alien putting water near a rifle but needed to get the crud out.

A long time MH shooter on the range today said put a pull through with a baby wipe before you leave the range. He claims after shooting on a Sunday he only cleans his rifles on a Monday with no problems.

Makes you wonder what the army used to do in the 1880's!

brilliant news mate.....

Cleaning a 450/577 Martini

I use a steam gun bought from Aldi for £15, the advantages are huge, no chemicals, cleans all the crud away even the previously missed muck. the heat dries most of the parts, wipe down with a clean dry cloth, pull the barrel through and oil up. Takes about 10 minutes