Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charmouth tunnel

How so? There are no exemption for NSC/NRA in primary legislation. Either the Police turn a blind eye, or they just carefully manipulate the line between clubs and private ranges to get the benefits of having people as members of a club, but to avoid the pitfalls of having to abide by a club's HO Approval conditions.
    You can't just turn up to an NRA Open day - you must sign up in advance, so arguably, your name will be personally known to the person handling the registrations.
    I don't know how they do it, but they are the only people who can have open days to members of the public. The one I went on not more than 4 years ago didn't even need preregistration, you brought your form along on the day.

As for 'known' I guess as with all laws it needs a test case. How about Crown V Hemmers for taking a close mate he met in the pub 10 minutes before going to a a club guest day

You can be friends with someone for years and not really know them.

Their website says

The Tunnel is a target shooting club whose facilities are available to both its members and to the general public subject to an initial visit to the Centre. Please note that no shooting is available on the same day as the first visit.

Charmouth Tunnel

Dear all, club or no club, VAT or no VAT, business rates or partial business rates? Use the system we have or fail? Open six days a week and three evenings or just two evenings a week? All questions we were faced with. With the current climate it was decided that a pre visit might be more politicaly correct, but not fixed in tablets of stone.
    You are all welcome to visit, feed back is allways good. Thank you Mole

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    I don't know how they do it, but they are the only people who can have open days to members of the public. The one I went on not more than 4 years ago didn't even need preregistration, you brought your form along on the day.
    They maybe got caught up with and had to tighten their system, as they are very definitely requiring pre-reg now.

As for 'known' I guess as with all laws it needs a test case. How about Crown V Hemmers for taking a close mate he met in the pub 10 minutes before going to a a club guest day

You can be friends with someone for years and not really know them.
    Well exactly. Josef Fritzl kept up his charade for decades... it's all about risk management. At the end of the day, sitting up in bed too quickly could kill you. Theoretically.
    All I know is the clubs I've been a member of have quite an open policy. "Known" means the visitor is expected, not that they're long-time pals with an existing member. The police know, the Police are fine with it. In some cases the existing procedures were developed with Police input. The problem is of course it's only in the guidance, so each Force can interpret differently. All it takes is a new Chief Constable or FLO Manager who wants to be difficult to change that interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Their website says

The Tunnel is a target shooting club whose facilities are available to both its members and to the general public subject to an initial visit to the Centre. Please note that no shooting is available on the same day as the first visit.
    Which actually begs the question of how the general public can shoot at all, given that clubs should not be selling "day membership".
    Unless the actual hourly fee is counted as a range fee and you're either on a "Free", "Partial" or "Full" membership package that entitles you to higher or lower range fees.
    So even if you only shoot once, you're registered as a member on the "Free" package.

I have no doubt it's legal, but it's all a bit complicated, which is to be expected when you try and run a business within the confines of laws that were drawn up with volunteer-run member's clubs in mind.
    I would be very interested to know what the exact structure of the business is - what's part of a club, what's part of a business - what the legal framework is that they're working under.
    There are very few commercial ranges in the UK, so odds are their particular arrangement with Dorset Police is unique.
    Last edited by Hemmers; 15-08-2010 at 09:54 PM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    Unless the actual hourly fee is counted as a range fee and you're either on a "Free", "Partial" or "Full" membership package that entitles you to higher or lower range fees.
    So even if you only shoot once, you're registered as a member on the "Free" package.
    Which then brings up the kettle of fish of having to tell plod they are a 'member', keeping track of their attendance and telling plod if they don't shoot for 12 months......

Isn't firearms law fun.

Totally agree with the rest of the post.

Which then brings up the kettle of fish of having to tell plod they are a 'member', keeping track of their attendance and telling plod if they don't shoot for 12 months......

Isn't firearms law fun.

Totally agree with the rest of the post.
    I am pleased to see you have had the same thoughts!

im just itching to pop down...

personally, I think from reports this sounds like a great effort... 50m indoors, cafe, shop... hands up who has access to that to start with?

100m planned... 7.62 indoors... and a 25m... crikey...

even if it is a commercial enterprise, that doesn't irk me. Whilst it's all good to have clubs as cheap as chips, how many struggle stand on their own two feet because of lack of interest or because they have a narrow field of operations.

poking the head out of your bunker for a sport, with the aim to bring in revenue so the facility stands on it's own two feet is to be applauded in my book, and i'd go further and say that some clubs could really benefit with at least a commerce based structure even if they choose not to run at a profit.
    I'm sure something like this isn't going to flaunt the laws... i can't imagine how much red tape must be laying around the place to have got this into the ground.

costs dont bother me... lets face it, if you get hooked on anything it doesn't end up being cheap. I know there's a lot of talent in the sport that finds it hard to finance their potential, but if anything, at least this should open up a few eyes as to what it actually costs and what can be done.

who knows, this success could drive another scheme or venture in time that perhaps can support training teams for instance because it is able to support a wide variety of shooting, perhaps even beyond private or sports use.

Dont look a gift horse in the mouth. This is a new range (when some are closing) with good facilities (that people have cried out for), supporting a variety of shooting (that seemingly other modern ranges dont).

And it's only and hour away from me, so ner ner ner

The tunnel need appaulding in their efforts to get a new shooting venue up and running and when the economic state of this country was at its worst aswell, The effort alone needs supporting and hence the reason me and jerry have booked range time on thursday plus we can show them our FT equipment and explain our sport to them.
    http://www.eastdevonftc.co.uk

On a break from FT.

I for one am really excited about this - not least because it's ten minutes from my house! Some people may be a bit sniffy about the cost/commercial nature, but hey, it's a commercial venture! It can surely only be a benefit of all the shooting sports it supports.

I'm hoping to go and have a look very soon, and whilst the cost made me have a think at first, when you think of the cost of many other hobbies it's really not that bad.

And from my point of view, I'd probably be spending the £7.50 in petrol getting to a club range to shoot at, let alone the additional travelling time...

Whether I take up membership or not, I really hope the place does well and develops successfully.

My boy managed to get a shoot on Monday, he tagged along with a member and got to shoot on first visit, result! He had a go with .22 RF at 25 yards with open sights and had a thoroughly good hours fun.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

my son and i both went for a couple of visits to the tunnel and have just come back from charmouth
    the facilities were excelent and the staff very helpfull and friendly
    i can whole heartedly recomend this place to anyone visiting it
    having read this thread on my return
    i would think that if some people have a better way of runing clubs
    they should open one and see if they can do better ,for themselves
    thanks guys at the tunnel
    WALTHER DOMINATOR LG300.
    "The Oaks"

I visited The Tunnel yesterday and spent an hour on one of the ranges.

An amazing set up, which I can highly recommend, very friendly people and a really nice environment to shoot in.

I think its facilities like these which are going to bring more people into target shooting, and they should be commended for all the hard work they have done.

I'll definitely be making use of the facilities on a regular basis.

Steve.

I finally got round to popping in, despite living so close!

Really friendly and welcoming (I just popped in and got a guided tour) - it's a really interesting site with great facilities. I spent an hours distraction free shooting there the next day, aqnd fully intend to go for membership...

I have no link to the place but I'd really recommend a visit there, even if your just in the area as a tourist.

Some have jibbed at the cost - I think it's perfectly reasonable when you see the place and what's on offer, not to mention what the overheads must be!

And when it's on your doorstep, with the current fuel costs, it's a bargain!