Thread: .177 paper punching pellets.

.177 paper punching pellets.

Hi Everybody,

I recently returned to shooting after a long (30 yr) absence and I would appreciate any advice or information regarding which pellets are considered the best for making a neat hole in NSRA targets at 20yrds with a pistol. I am using a Rohm powered by CO2. I have mainly been using R10 match pellets but I have tried a couple of different pellets and the variation was in results was quite marked. Looking forward to your advice

Not much better than the R10's if your pistol likes them,it is all i use in my pistols and i get very good results.

Hi, and welcome to the BBS.
    You have almost answered your own question. You need to try a variety of pellets to see which are the best in your particular gun. Minute variations in the manufacturing processes mean that often two apparently identical guns will perform differently on the same pellet.
    With the Rohm I found RWS Hobby were as accurate as any within the limits of my abilities. I have found H & N match to be the best in my Steyr LP50 and I use R10 in my FWB65.
    CO2 pistols seem to love the Dynamit Nobel Geco, which is just as well given the number you can get through with rapid fire sessions, they are very easy on the pocket. RWS Hobby seems to suit most of my other pistols although I do have half a dozen tins of Top Shot Competition I picked up cheap when on holiday recently and am still trying these out.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    From your post I'm presuming that Its not grouping but the hole in the target that you are asking about. It is an issue with co2 powered pistols that the pressure drops as you shoot, and it is likely that this is the cause of ragged holes in the target as the velocity of the pellets drops as you shoot. compare your first shot with your last shot, or if you can, borrow a pcp pistol and try the same pellets ,and then compare results, hope this helps
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Just re read your post, 20 yards is a very long way for a co2 pistol, I only ever shoot a 20 yd comp with a fully charged pcp cylinder in my lp10
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Thanks Everybody - It is good to have other views.
    tuffty's point about 20yards being a a long way for a CO2 pistol is interesting so maybe I should look for a PCP.
    Has anybody else shot a CO2 pistol at 20yards?

When it comes to grouping I am getting most of the holes in the black on a PL15. Not brilliant but 12 week ago I was lucky to get them all in the target

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    Just re read your post, 20 yards is a very long way for a co2 pistol, I only ever shoot a 20 yd comp with a fully charged pcp cylinder in my lp10
    The LP10 is regulated, so as long as it's in the green zone you should get the same power wherever the needle sits. I was knocking stuff down at 20 + yards the other day with mine, with the needle dropping well into the yellow.

My Rohm's love the R10, with very good results, I have a Top and a Sport, both of which the power has been changed and both running about 5ft/lb and out to 20 or even 30 yards they do very well. I also have the trainer, which is CO2, would not bother beyond 10 yards with this....

But the R10 are, for me anyway, I think about the best out there...
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…