Thread: JSR, AGS, LEAPERS 8-32x56 Out of the box review.

JSR, AGS, LEAPERS 8-32x56 Out of the box review.

Wander into a shop, look through a few scopes, buy the one you like, job done.
    Over the years I've bought, kept & still use a few good quality scopes.
    I've allso bought a few that I sold on quickly inc' a few I didn't even fit to a rifle.
    That's the problem when you distance buy & the scopes are posted to you without a preview by yourself.
    New or S/H will it be any good.
    I was looking for a new scope, not just any scope, a bit more specific but open to what was available to choose from, narrowing my choice down as I searched.
    Lack of funds meant two things.
    The first choice had to be the right one & It had to be a budget VFM scope.
    While saveing up I had the choice narrowed down to one of a possible three, then two.
    Before the cash come good I spotted a bargain & snatched it verry quickly.
    An AGS "old stock" scope.
    Made by Leapers in the USA, no idea of country of actuall manufacture though.
    These are allso sold as JSR badged versions.
    Since my purchase I've found the scope has been sat on a dealers shelf for at least two years so please allow for that.
    The box is strong & padding inside helped it to arrive safely, good immpression to start with.
    The finish looks good, smooth paint well applied so it's not a thrown together budget scope.
    The flip up's are a little flimsy, plastic but sprung so they stay up alone, a good snap closeure, time will tell but better than a bikini & if they break BCs will replace them.
    Allen key supplied for the turrets but I've not delved into that side of things yet. 1/8" 100yds marked on the turrets.
    There is a lock ring to keep the turrets on aim, I doubt If this feature is actually needed but a nice touch, definate clicks heard clearly so another good start.
    One of the reasons I went for this scope is focus at 10yds, the nasty surprise was the focus knob was so stiff It rendered the scope unuseable.
    Saved up for an after market wheel & slowly I could get the knob to move but that was it.
    The wheel arrived from JSR & transformed the scope. still stiff but the focus was smooth looking as I looked through the scope, no jerking or other problem, the focus is slowly easing as I use it but It'll need more use before I'm happy with that side of things, Bad point ? not so, if it were loose & sloppy I'd of sold it on.
    I'll persivere.
    8-32 mag, I most often use 10/12X but want high mag occasionally, the adjusting ring is stiff but moves smoothly, looking through the scope the milldot ret was clear, no adjustment was needed but after setting it up I'll probably tweek it a little.
    How clear is the glass ?
    I'm not too critical, I bought a budget VFM scope.
    10yds, the grain on the fence was clear, 135yds, rough brick work was inspected & moss on roof tiles was clear enough to shoot, 150yds, if only my rifle was loaded, that pine cone would be dead, 500yds (guess, possibly much more) a metal storage silo had some interesting grafity on it & I know the artist name, daft idiot sprayed it all over the silo roof, 4 miles at least as the crow flies (about 12 miles by road) Radio masts were clear as was the guy ropes.
    To put this simply, compareing against a Bushnell 6500, an EB 10x44, a WTC.
    Compareing it against other budget VFM scopes I have or have owned & some cost much more than the JSR RRP.
    ?X?X me that's good.
    The 56mm front lens means I need high mounts, with some clearance available If I removed the front flip up I might be able to go as low as med'.
    I've done a rough set up zero, now I need to have a read through the instruction booklet that come with it as did a little chart for mildot use at different ranges.
    Also supplied was a cloth & a sunshade.
    In bright light the image didn't darken as the mag was turned up but as the light fell the high mag image did darken.
    I looked through it at some trees plus a house roof chimney & tiles (roof dark side) illuminated by a street light & possibly this could be a good low light scope with the mag down, I need to take it out into the field to make a better judgement though.
    The ret is not I/R, I didn't want one, JSR also do the non I/R version as well as the I/R one.
    I think that's covered all of it.
    Doing the rough set up zero the POI was very low (allow for high mounts & 10yd target) & going to the left by a similar amount.
    Through the shots the POI moved slowly as I done graduall adjustments to just below the aim dot.
    I checked the barrel band, all was fine.
    I checked the mounts & as suspected they were offset.
    Explanation here.
    Rimfire
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2noVkhVTlqw
    Air rifle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj70tzt-yZc
    Being offset is no problem, I'm shooting at set ranges not varying ones & as I increase the range from 10yds the alignment will improve so I can wind it back towards the middle setting.
    I've virtually run out of adjustment vertical as well, allowing for useing high mounts @ 10yds it was still low, I'm useing adjustable ones for intended long distance shooting & found the front mount was raised a little.
    Sportsmatch adjustable mounts explained here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...0A4yRyiI&gl=GB
    Allthough not fully set up would I buy another Leapers / JSR 8-32x56 ?
    Yes.
    Would I consider another Leapers / JSR scope of any type ?
    Yes.
    Do I consider expensive guarentees quality & VFM ?
    Not any more.
    Thanks to JSR, a non customer with problems given much helpfull assistance & speedy delivery of the after market sidewheel I purchased from them.
    Thanks also to Leapers, allso very helpfull & no question was too stupid.
    Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you the Leapers, AGS, JSR 8-32x56 scope.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gunvidde.../0/BgwnCE00iW0
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

the adjusting ring is stiff but moves smoothly,

The 56mm front lens means I need high mounts, with some clearance available If I removed the front flip up I might be able to go as low as med'.
    The stiff ring is universal with these (I noted it on my review as well, a coaster makes adjustment easier if you change mag regularly)

Removing the flip up gives you 4 or 5mm extra, it's a bit thick

As you conclude, a good VFM scope.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeG View Post
    The stiff ring is universal with these (I noted it on my review as well, a coaster makes adjustment easier if you change mag regularly)

Removing the flip up gives you 4 or 5mm extra, it's a bit thick

As you conclude, a good VFM scope.
    I'm wondering if I've been lucky or if they've made some slight change as my side wheel adjustment is easier than the 8-32 mag adjustment on this scope that arrived this week.

Vermin Al is offline Some say, ..... 4,000fps is enough
    Nice review.

My JSR 6-24x50 S/F scope really is excellent value.
    Al

cheap and cheerful

Used mine at my club on Monday for the first time and noticed agreat improvement over my Simmons.
    The more experienced shooters who tried it were full of praise and commented on the image brightness and value for money.
    I pointed out about the comments on the stiff sidewheel and all commented on how easy and smooth the one on my scope was to use.
    Before it arrived I'd wonderd if I'd made a mistake not purchasing the larger fitting at the same time but in actual fact it would have been a waste of money so maybe they've taken on board past complaints.

enjoyed the review my friend

Have 2 of these and am really chuffed as they sit on the cheaper air rifles... Definate recommended.