Thread: Powder by weight or volume

Powder by weight or volume

Hi change of question, just noticed that the hogdon muzzle loading data for the ROA is by volume and only for round ball not conicals, please can anybody tell me what charge by weight in 777 fffg I can safely go upto in mine using the Lee 220 gn conical bullets.

Thanks

Rick
    Last edited by Night Stalker; 19-08-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: change of question
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

http://www.hodgdon.com/pyrodex-pellets.html
    not sure if this is the info you require rick but these pyrodex pellets are in volume only but not sure if the rest of their data follows suit....but to be honest most data for m/l pistols are in volume rather than weight......its just us who like to get everything exactly the same and still....miss

Muzzle loading data is always by volume....but....

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm

I prefer to weigh. I have a test vial marked with min and max for 777 in my revolver, set by volume and my loads are well in the safe zone. I just think weight has to be that little bit more accurate. Each to their own though.

Interesting that you are using conicals, I tried some testing over a couple of years but have given up with them now.

I found they tumble and keyhole too much with my moderate loads and if loaded hotter the soft lead was being stripped by the rifling so no better. I cast some a bit harder but that was too much strain to load.

For your OA you will be in the 25-30 grn(BP by vol) range. You will be hard pushed to find data for conicals, it all seems for ball. The load should be less than for ball because of the extra weight and contact area drag but will need to be fairly hot to prevent tumbling.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 17-08-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Interesting that you are using conicals, I tried some testing over a couple of years but have given up with them now.
    Ditto. Waste of time.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Ditto. Waste of time.
    Hi

Like Dave & Smokeless - I also tried conicals with BP & saw little gain on the target - I did like using them - as they are a NICE bullet though !

I got better results with them in the ROA than with my Pietta Remington NMA

I have started using them again with my nitro ROA & I have to say they are absolutely splendid !

Cheers

Roy

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    I also tried conicals with BP & saw little gain on the target - I did like using them
    Roy - never under estimate the fun of the "dark side".
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

tried to think so, but i found it was not as the same in the actual process. As you mentioned, I still have doubts, but really

thank you for sharing!