Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: How far will a pellet travel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Messingham
    Posts
    75

    How far will a pellet travel

    As above ashuming strong back wind optimum angle of fire and using a sub 12ft lb rifle. Any ideas how far it will go before touch down.
    cheers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Croydon
    Posts
    671
    I can bounce my .177 across the lake I fish, well over 100 yards

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rushden / North Bedfordshire
    Posts
    6,834
    @25 degrees ~450yds at a guess, maybe more (I'm not at my lappy so haven't got Chairgun to hand)

    EDIT With a tailwind 600yds?
    Ian
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Barrow-in-Furness
    Posts
    1,049

    Exclamation

    Maximum range achieved at an angle of 45 degrees. Should be able to work distance out......somehow
    Someone on here will know
    Freedom needs a soldier.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rushden / North Bedfordshire
    Posts
    6,834
    With no tailwind,

    optimum angle of 22 degrees
    Terminal energy 0.305 FtLbf
    Distance 424 yards.

    (With JSB Exacts)

    So I wasn't far off.

    Interestingly .20 & .22 carry further.
    Last edited by SpikeG; 17-08-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    Ian
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. Benjamin Franklin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    selby
    Posts
    12
    out of interest then, if you were to shoot vertically up, the pellet would eventually stop and fall down, so what would be its terminal velocity?!

    i mean i assume it would be the same as if you just dropped it fform a great height!?

    always pondered that one, but i dont get out much!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Messingham
    Posts
    75
    Thats surprised me i would have expected alot less. Can't get my head around .22 traveling further. We used to shoot on council land and they made us section off 200mtr and i thought that would have been enough. live and learn.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aylesbury - not far enough from Kes.
    Posts
    54,420
    Quote Originally Posted by dough View Post
    out of interest then, if you were to shoot vertically up, the pellet would eventually stop and fall down, so what would be its terminal velocity?!

    i mean i assume it would be the same as if you just dropped it fform a great height!?

    always pondered that one, but i dont get out much!
    Apart from it being dumb?

    If terminal velocity at 122mph were measured in fps it would be around 178fps.
    So, a 14.3gr pellet doing 178fps would contain just over 1.0 ftlb.

    Enough to blind you if you're looking up. That's why it's dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kes
    The mods here are a good bunch of eggs. You just have to ask nicely and not be a tit every day.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    selby
    Posts
    12
    it was a simple and hyperthetical question, no need to be rude

    i was just considering the drag and mass of the pellet, the distance it could travel vertically upwards with relation to air resistance and the offset of the mass of the pellet and therefore how much velocity downwards it would terminally achieve is all

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aylesbury - not far enough from Kes.
    Posts
    54,420
    Quote Originally Posted by dough View Post
    it was a simple and hyperthetical question, no need to be rude

    i was just considering the drag and mass of the pellet, the distance it could travel vertically upwards with relation to air resistance and the offset of the mass of the pellet and therefore how much velocity downwards it would terminally achieve is all
    I wasn't rude. I was simply stating that if you were gazing at the sky when you did it, you might get a pellet in the eye.

    Blimey! Common sense is now offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kes
    The mods here are a good bunch of eggs. You just have to ask nicely and not be a tit every day.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    selby
    Posts
    12
    common sense isnt rude, but assuming i dont have any is!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aylesbury - not far enough from Kes.
    Posts
    54,420
    Quote Originally Posted by dough View Post
    common sense isnt rude, but assuming i dont have any is!!
    You've read it totally wrong, mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kes
    The mods here are a good bunch of eggs. You just have to ask nicely and not be a tit every day.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Runcorn
    Posts
    1,358
    Somebody will correct me, but as to pellet size .22 will travel further than .177 as if you throw a squash ball and a ping pong ball the squash ball will go further.... does that make sense? lol
    'Beans??!!....Beans are for Riflemen' (capt Yates 2RGJ)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    6,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Somebody will correct me, but as to pellet size .22 will travel further than .177 as if you throw a squash ball and a ping pong ball the squash ball will go further.... does that make sense? lol
    what if they were the same density or dropped from a plane 2 miles up
    Why is it that when a seller from a bad deal has something else to sell my signature gets removed neil w

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hear, Their and Everyware. (Mostly Reepham)
    Posts
    5,526
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeG View Post
    With no tailwind,

    optimum angle of 22 degrees
    Terminal energy 0.305 FtLbf
    Distance 424 yards.

    (With JSB Exacts)

    So I wasn't far off.

    Interestingly .20 & .22 carry further.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimtrab View Post
    Thats surprised me i would have expected alot less. Can't get my head around .22 traveling further. We used to shoot on council land and they made us section off 200mtr and i thought that would have been enough. live and learn.
    Doesn't the heavier pellet retain more energy over distance? Must be something to do with inertia. That's my guess. Inertia.....or momentum....... no, inertia.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •