Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old air rifle that fires pellets from a cartridge?

Old air rifle that fires pellets from a cartridge?

I was chatting to a bloke this morning while walking my dog, and he told me that his friend has an airgun that fires a .22 pellet from a type of cartridge, or canister that is first pumped full of air, then put into the breech and fired He couldn't remember the makers name( but said the gun was manufactured in Stratford upon Avon, one of 150 made and it's FAC rated. He thought that the name began with an 'S' and there were partners, ? and ? Any ideas?

Saxby & Palmer pre Brocock.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Saxby and Palmer??...They produced rifles for air cartridges, think it was called the Galaxy, Ensign...something like that.

Also, a Compny called Crown produced some air cartridge guns too.

The air cartridge system was banned so these need to be on ticket now, even sub 12fpe....
    blah blah

agreed

god i wish i still had mine i loved that rifle

its a saxby palmer and i'd advise him to chop the barrel and receiver up and sell the other parts off as these are now section 5 prohibited firearms that cannot be sold or transferred.

possession of these guns without the license(no longer issued) is a criminal offence.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    He couldn't remember the makers name( but said the gun was manufactured in Stratford upon Avon, one of 150 made and it's FAC rated. He thought that the name began with an 'S' and there were partners, ? and ? Any ideas?
    I read this as being on FAC although not above 12 ft.lbs. I didn't know they had stopped renewing licences. Sly.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

OUCH

You can't even have them on a FAC these days at all?

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I read this as being on FAC although not above 12 ft.lbs. I didn't know they had stopped renewing licences. Sly.

ATB
    Ian
    the deadline for license applications for these guns expired years ago,you can't even transfer them to a license holder.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    the deadline for license applications for these guns expired years ago,you can't even transfer them to a license holder.
    If you put them onto an FAC after they were first banned then you can still keep them, I think. Maybe that's what this guy's friend did?

Or are you saying that police forces are refusing to renew existing FACs for these guns? If so I think there would be a good case for seeking compensation under European property rights laws. IIRC the way they got around having to offer compensation when Brococks were first banned was to allow owners to keep them on FACs, but not sell or transfer them.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    If you put them onto an FAC after they were first banned then you can still keep them, I think. Maybe that's what this guy's friend did?

Or are you saying that police forces are refusing to renew existing FACs for these guns? If so I think there would be a good case for seeking compensation under European property rights laws. IIRC the way they got around having to offer compensation when Brococks were first banned was to allow owners to keep them on FACs, but not sell or transfer them.
    no...renewals isn't what i said,they won't grant new licenses for them as the deadline has long gone...renewing existing licenses is not an issue.....personally i'd like to see the ban lifted.

I think the issue might be you appeared to assume the guy didn't have an FAC for possession of said item:

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    its a saxby palmer and i'd advise him to chop the barrel and receiver up and sell the other parts off as these are now section 5 prohibited firearms that cannot be sold or transferred.

possession of these guns without the license(no longer issued) is a criminal offence.
    From the comment in the first post it suggests it might be held legally on ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    I think the issue might be you appeared to assume the guy didn't have an FAC for possession of said item:

From the comment in the first post it suggests it might be held legally on ticket.
    Having had 2, Of these , FAC rated !!!!!!!
    I think not, Maybe 12 Fpe on a good day, Only recently I offered free a Saxby & Palmer bench pump " Free " For these very same rifles,

I eventually took it to the tip ! The early cartridges were plastic, I think with an aluminium inner core,
    But much over 12 Fpe , forget it (Buy an Innova )

I have had a few of the Saxby & Palmer pistols, & Very nice they were, However when Brocock took over, I bought an ME ( Something or other ) It had the hardest trigger pull ever ,
    I sold it just before the ban for £70 with 5 cartridges & Pump.
    The Saxby guns were much better made & performed better,

In hindsight, I thought the pumping of cartridges a pain ( That was with the " Slim Jim " ) But later having bought the Brocock , Single pump , Pump !
    ( It took 2, Pumps ) It wasn,t so bad, I reflected that I didn,t mind pumping up an Innova, But did a cartridge, Well : There you go.

I still have the Brocock single pump & Many cartridges/seals Etc, I was going to make a new gun to use them , Using the rear of the cartridge only to supply air, IE Not a TAC, Just one day, Maybe !! Ha ha,
    They were innovative at the time ( I am talking of the pistols only ) & some superbly made,

The Saxby & Palmer rifle pump. I took to the tip !

Brocock ( The blue one ) TAC, Single stroke pump

Cheers, Ged.

Thumbs up Thanks for the info

Thanks Chaps, I'll pass on the info when I see him again.

I think that someone once did a run of Lee Enfield conversions to TAC's as well, can anyone shed any light on this??

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

There was a clever bloke from "ull" that did some conversions.......