Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA 240 Magnum

BSA 240 Magnum

I have just got hold of a 'BSA Magnum' it is is very good condition and was cheap. I thougt it worth investing a few coppers in , so have put in a new breech seal and checked it over as you would. So why is it so awful? I cannot get a group of any sort all shots are completely random. I am a reasonably competent pistol shooter and can get them all on the card with any other airpistol.

Does anyone have any history/ experience of these guns? And can anything be done to improve matters or are they really this bad?

Ormicron

Quote Originally Posted by Ormicron View Post
    I have just got hold of a 'BSA Magnum' it is is very good condition and was cheap. I thougt it worth investing a few coppers in , so have put in a new breech seal and checked it over as you would. So why is it so awful? I cannot get a group of any sort all shots are completely random. I am a reasonably competent pistol shooter and can get them all on the card with any other airpistol.

Does anyone have any history/ experience of these guns? And can anything be done to improve matters or are they really this bad?

Ormicron
    Hi there.I bought one new when they first came out and i had the same problem,absolutely awfull accuracy i gave up with it in the end and bought a hw45...

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    My old 240 ironically was more accurate than my 45, however they are very hold sensitive and the slender grip makes it fairly uncomfortable...

240 Magnum

I sold one a while back to a really nice chap on here but when he got it at his end it wouldn't group for toffee.

I always found it very difficult to shoot but the placements weren't random, just pulled one way or the other because of my weak wrists (it's a medical thing not an excuse honest ) - they sure aren't lady's guns in terms of felt recoil - but this was as you describe, all over the place.

We tried replacing the barrel seal but that didn't work and in the end gave up - i bought him another 240 and took the pistol back.

I put the faulty 240 away and got it out a few months later when i had a bit of time and when i looked really, really, carefully at the end cap http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...BBS/Magnum.jpg was very slightly unseated - not so much as to stop the barrel catches from engaging, but enough to mean that the barrel was not sealing effectively.

A quick unscrew, reposition and tighten up was all that was needed to fix it

I hope this is of some help to you - I don't get the 240 out often as there are lots nicer pistols to shoot when i have the time, but its compact size and the recoil mean that when I do, it does raise a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    they are very hold sensitive and the slender grip makes it fairly uncomfortable...
    The grip is improved by fitting an anatomical one - which is quite straight forward - but the hold sensitivity is still there for me!
    http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...S/IMG_9584.jpg
    Last edited by Minuteman; 18-08-2010 at 10:39 PM.

240 Magnum

Thanks, I think you may be on to something, the cocking lever has to be pressed down hard to engage the catch, as you say it may be out of alignment. I thought along these lines and blued the seal up and looked for a good contact on the breech face which it made but this may be inconsistant, so will go down the shed and investigate.

Regards Ormicron

I bought one when they first came out. Great looking (far better than the HW45) and nicely made, but I couldn't group with it. Too much power in too light a pistol maybe.

had the same problem with mine from new. The cocking lever wouldnt shut fully, meaning it would pop open slightly when fired. Just rubbish production quailty i guess. have more or less sorted the problem by rubbing the breech seal down slightly, taking a very small amount off the hooks on the breech release plate under the plastic cover at the back and by drilling the breech block screw holes in the cocking arm slightly larger to allow the breech block to sit higher in the cocking lever. all a bit of hassle really

groups quite nicley tho once you can get the breech to stay shut

Thumbs up

I must have been lucky, because both my 240s (.177 & .22) group just fine - all the same, I'll keep my eye on the end caps now in the event that accuracy drops off, so thanks for the tip, MM!

Quote Originally Posted by Mintuteman
    The grip is improved by fitting an anatomical one - which is quite straight forward - but the hold sensitivity is still there for me!
    http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...S/IMG_9584.jpg
    I found this most interesting too, in view of the wide variety of AR grips available. Did it require much modification to get it to fit?

Thumbs down re bsa 240 magnum

i also had one brand new i got mine straight off the production line from bsa mom worked there for over 30 years.
    i have always bought bsa but i must admit i sold it soon after because for accuracy it was bottom of the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I found this most interesting too, in view of the wide variety of AR grips available. Did it require much modification to get it to fit?
    The AR grips are almost a straight fit and the plastic is easy to work with, a little filing and a couple of holes drilled at the right angles - internal of the grip I replaced the original bolts with some screw headed bolts cut to the correct length and a little metal strap to reinforce the plastic grip.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...Insidegrip.jpg

Solid as a rock and has never loosened, though now I've said that sod's law will come into effect

Thumbs up

Thanks for that MM - I've got a couple of "surplus" AR grips in a box somewhere, so I may give it a go!

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

240 Magnums

I had both 0.177" and 0.22" cal versions a while back, but sold them both on here about 2 years ago to fund other purchases. I found them tricky to shoot, but noticed that holding them too tightly was no good. I got better results with a fairly loose hold, allowing the "kick" to occur, rather than suppress it with a tight hold. Even so, not the easiest pistols to obtain accuracy with. John
    Laudator temporis acti

Smile

Hi

I have a pair of 240's but i can't really say how they shoot as i've not really shot them (a couple of pellets through each when i bought them), they're very nice to hold though

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda113 View Post
    I had both 0.177" and 0.22" cal versions a while back, but sold them both on here about 2 years ago to fund other purchases. I found them tricky to shoot, but noticed that holding them too tightly was no good. I got better results with a fairly loose hold, allowing the "kick" to occur, rather than suppress it with a tight hold. Even so, not the easiest pistols to obtain accuracy with. John
    Pretty much what I found when I had one. Nice enough but too much like hard work to extract decent and repeatable accuracy from them. There's definitely a knack to them.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vimes View Post
    Pretty much what I found when I had one. Nice enough but too much like hard work to extract decent and repeatable accuracy from them. There's definitely a knack to them.
    Actually, this is what I like about mine! A tight group from a 240 is much rarer, but all the more rewarding for that, than a tight group from a pistol that's designed to be easy to shoot!

Personally, I find a bit of practice with the 240s when I can't get out with the rifle is the best thing I can do to improve my shooting - that, and a trip to the gym.