Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA 240 Magnum

Memory

After this thread I dug the 240's out for a session yesterday and doing so also jogged my memory.

As well as sorting the end cap issue I also paid some attention to the front sight - part of the steps of diagnosis was a feeling that because the front sight locates in the shroud and the pellet path is from the barrel then though the hole in the sight there was a possibility of it clipping, so i also reamed out the front sight by 0.5mm as well - so you might also want to have a look at that too.

Hope you've got it sorted by now and this info is extraneous.

DM80 Guest
    i've had a few 240's all had poor accuracy i just can't understand why folk collect these they were a terrible pistol unrealiable and inaccurate i thinks this is why BSA soon dropped this pistol after a few short years.

dave.

Nice foam in the case. What is it and where can you get it from?

Anyone tried fitting a scope to one of these ?

I did - I thought the extra weight might improve it but the rail does not appear to be anywhere near inline with the barrel, has anyone else found this?

bsa magnum

Had one a few years ago and as you say awfull accuracy sold it and got a nice scorpion instead.

I've got two, both .177 and while they are challenging to shoot, with perseverance and practise, it is possible to get reasonable groups with them. I really enjoy shooting mine, although the one I shoot more often has been detuned with a weaker spring, which makes it a lot sweeter to shoot, it's still doing over three ft/lbs though.

240 magnum

i bought my .177 magnum because i wanted something else to hit pellet tins with in the garden. mine was described as mint by the seller andy greenslade but alas he lied to me and the pistol was scratched on the foreend both sides. ive since touched up the scratches with a blueing pen and it looks better now though.It does has a higher velocity than my hw45 by about 35-40 fps and is fine for plinking but the '45 is a far superiorly engineered pistol. i agree that the 240 quality isnt marvelous but its great for beer cans pellet tins and cartridge cases on a bright day! i will keep mine but it wont go down as my finest purchase tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Pinpoint View Post
    Nice foam in the case. What is it and where can you get it from?
    Was a while ago - think it was just some foam i got from a shop locally, there's some great stuff on the net look for "acoustic" foam or even better go to machine mart when they're having a sale and buy one of these - as you can see you can cram a whole rifle in one

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...S/IMAG0218.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...S/IMAG0219.jpg

As for the Magnum accuracy - the chap I bought one of my 240's from (a guy off here - thanks again to whomever it was ) supplied his own home brew stock for a carbine action and increased accuracy;

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...S/IMAG0217.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    i've had a few 240's all had poor accuracy i just can't understand why folk collect these they were a terrible pistol unrealiable and inaccurate i thinks this is why BSA soon dropped this pistol after a few short years.
    When I first shot mine I hit an A4 piece of paper 3 out of 5 times at 6 meters. What on earth...terrible pistol I thought. Anyway I stuck at it, replaced the spring, seals and tried again. All shots within a 3 inch circle at 6 meters. Fiddled around with the overleaver catch until I got a double click instead of a single one and the groups shrank to 1 1/2 inches at 6 meters... That was the first day of ever shooting a spring gun of any description, let a lone a pistol.

Take 1

Take 2 and 3

^^^does anyone know why it doesnt show the picture and only provides a link?

Newmarket, Suffolk. More than a one horse town!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ormicron View Post
    I have just got hold of a 'BSA Magnum' it is is very good condition and was cheap. I thougt it worth investing a few coppers in , so have put in a new breech seal and checked it over as you would. So why is it so awful? I cannot get a group of any sort all shots are completely random. I am a reasonably competent pistol shooter and can get them all on the card with any other airpistol.

Does anyone have any history/ experience of these guns? And can anything be done to improve matters or are they really this bad?

Ormicron
    Had one in .22 years ago. They must be held exactly the same way every time! The odd shaped grip is no help there. It can be done and the gun is actually very accurate, but its a real learning experience. If its not your thing then its a shame but my advice is persevere and it will come good in the end.
    Join BASC. You know it makes sense!

The gun has potential and is perfectly accurate but as said everything needs to come together. Consistent grip, good internals, breech seal block in the right place-it can sometimes go out of line creating issues. The crown is notorious on these. Mine looks shocking, Im still managing to get good groups but I think if I was to get the old brass screw out with polish it would improve matters further.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeherald View Post
    Had one in .22 years ago. They must be held exactly the same way every time! The odd shaped grip is no help there. It can be done and the gun is actually very accurate, but its a real learning experience. If its not your thing then its a shame but my advice is persevere and it will come good in the end.
    I agree, they are very hold sensitive but with effort and perseverance they can be mastered, to do so is very satisfying! They are challenging to shoot, but when you get it right, the feeling of satisfaction is huge.

Here is a target that I shot yesterday. The top shot was me holding it too tightly, the next one down was due to the overleaver not being secured in the same position as the other shots (a running issue Im trying to sort out at the moment).

I have lusted after a 240 for years...its the trophy wife syndrome for me I'm afraid. I would put up with almost anything from it -it just looks so good!