Thread: MTC Viper Connect (Prototype) Part 3

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...

Thumbs up MTC Viper Connect (Prototype) Part 3

Taking the P...err... parallax....

This scope was not designed for FT, and I cannot see how you would fit a large wheel in any event, it does not really have a large enough magnification to range find.

One interesting effect though is that although the focus snaps in quite precisely, if you are shooting prone it only seems to effect the middle say 40% of the image (in that this area is sharp while the top (distant) and bottom (foreground) are blurred slightly).

Because of the large field of view, the temptation is to look round the image and think...”Hey, the top and bottom parts of the image are not in focus”.

This phenomena is more noticeable in the prone as you are at a much shallower angle to the ground. Kneeling or standing you probably would not realise.

With a conventional scope at 10x, with the subsequently narrower FOV, this phenomena would not be noticed so readily, but since you can now see ground that starts much closer to the scope than normally, the fore ground as well as the background are now out of focus.

This is to be expected and is normal with the Viper connect, once you understand why, it makes sense. I noticed it to some extent with my big Viper last night out rabitting, but it only really waves at you in the prone.

The parallax control is very smooth, but due to it’s close proximity to the IR on off switch, and similar shape, I would like to see some lugs or castellation on the edge of the control so you know which one you are trying to twist, particularly with a gloved mitt while staring down the tube at your intended victim.

This is the only scope that I have been able to practice standing shots with in my garage, at only 6 yards, at 10x, and be in crisp focus (and still have some left). The ideal rat basher then? Could be.

Rubber cups!!

Ooh errr...Well you have to cater for all..

The scope is supplied with a rubber eye cup that is used (Optionally) to keep light out while allowing the eye to “Connect” directly to the ocular bell.

With the Connect 01, as I stated earlier, this was pretty much vital in order to get the correct image.

With the Viper Connect, you have much more leeway, and I personally found that the scope performed more or less conventionally off the bipod without the cup.

I had a full image at all times, and put 5 fills through my BTAS100 prone over approx 2 hours with no more strain on my neck or eye muscles than with a standard scope.

I am not saying the cup is not necessary, just not essential. Some will use it, some will not.

However, having spent some more time with the scope I noticed an effect where the rubber eye cup will actually help (aside of the fact that it makes life a lot more comfortable).

I suspected I was having focus problems with the close eye relief, as the ret focus seemed to be going in and out slightly.

What was actually appeared to be happening was this.

The connect is a short/zero eye relief scope, so it depends on your eyeball being pretty close to the ocular lens to work correctly (in that you need to see all of the image, not a slightly clipped version created by not getting into the eye piece correctly).

I found that if I moved my eye about off centre the ret (particular the IR) smeared slightly.

Fitting the eye cup cured this in that you have to get your eye into the right position to use it, and you also get the usual advantages of a scope enhancer of sorts.

What I did find with the old Connect 01 (and my NV) was that the close proximity of the eye in cold weather, allied to the rubber eye cup, lead to almost constant misting. That said, I have found the same today with very hot/humid weather and the new connect...so off it came.

I have found this with all sorts of close coupling optics, it is a disadvantage of the necessity to be close coupled to the ocular lens, and not of the Viper connect per-se.

The cup does act as an aid to correct eye position, and it does an excellent job of keeping the glare off the ocular and enhancing the image, so it will be kept on my connects and generally used.

You must be aware though that anyone used to using the Pigs ear type enhancer, or the longer fairing types, will come unstuck here.

Any eye cup really needs to be fully cylindrical on this scope as the eye relief bell is adjustable and rotates in order to do so, so whatever is fitted, needs to work in any position. The extra point of contact with the scope really used to help stability with the Connect 01, and in order to exploit this advantage in all positions with the Viper connect, the variable eye relief is crucial.

In the field

I took my new acquisition to my first visit to an FT club a few weeks back.
    One chap wielding an electronic beast with a sight nearly as large...and a feather....suggested I would not see the target at 50yards let alone hit it with my small scope.

Lady luck (because in all fairness I would not normally bother shooting this far without a bipod) did not desert me.

I propped it first go, then continued to do the same from the kneeling position. OK, hardly Vasilly Zeitsev, but given how dark and dingy it was in the wood, I thought the little connect did itself proud.

Then we went rabitting....that was fun. Rabbit 1 was dropped again, in a very dank wooded area, where I would have normally spent an age trying to find it through the scope. It was only a 25yd shot, but he bought it, text book, kneeling...he was alert, and he may have been onto me but just did not get time to leg it.

The second rabbit was similar. I was not particularly well cammed up and out on the open, so it was a case of first to the trigger.

This rabbit popped out at 30yds, but was disturbed by me bringing the rifle on aim.

Rather than leg it, it backed into the bracken and stopped there, thumping and telling the world I was about.

He was not acquainted with the Connects quick acquisition, or its brilliant image, so he bit the dust also, with just a few kicks registering his distain for MTCs new baby.

I initially wanted the Viper connect for squirrel bashing. That particular avenue or carnage has been restricted somewhat in that our new keeper actually...well...keeps, which means that the tree rats are much thinner on the ground.

Imagine my delight when, out on a quite overt target bashing session, a tree rat signalled his approach by the usual crashing about in the trees next to where I was shooting.

The speed on aim was just plain unfair....I picked up the hawks dinner for the next few days.

I have been back to a conventional MTC Viper since for rabitting and, with the combination of AMD ret and the Connect technology now missing, it felt quite odd to be honest.

You get used to the image quickly and soon miss it.

Summary

Well, all I can say is that in the Viper Connect MTC have ticked all the boxes.
    It used to be that you would buy, say a 3-12 x 40 for hunting, then maybe a 1-5 x 25 for ratting or squirreling, or even lamping. For HFT see the above.

Now you need buy only one 3-12 x 32 scope that will quite literally do it all, and a bit more.

The Viper Connect is compact, precise, light, intuitive, flexible, sharp, probably a scope for all seasons.

Taken as an aside, the AMD ret inspires accuracy, and the single illuminated cross is so much less intrusive than the busy rets found on other scopes.

Allied to the Viper Connect this is a field combo that will be difficult to beat.

Don’t do as Gary would suggest and sell a kidney...maybe just a finger...or a...no, no,

As Basil Fawlty would say "You'd have to sew em back on first!"

I have all of my essential parts and have ordered another for my other hunting rifle...anyone want a Sidewinder 30?

I suspect the “for sale” area on here may be offering up a few conventional scopes, as folk try to standardise with the Viper connect on their PCPs, it really is that good.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Great series of reviews Parabuteo

How much does this weigh & how should it be mounted (ring size, height) as it looks difficult to mount with a traditional twin mount.

Price is quoted at under £250.....so subject to the above (& reliability somewhat better than the Connect 1) I'll definately but one!

Many thanks

Ken

goulss is offline Artillery conquers and infantry occupies.
    Great sensible review, any idea of a launch date yet?
    All the best
    " A retired husband is a wife's full time job.
    Daystate Panther Silver .177, Diana MOD 6M .177

Leaving manufacturer any day. Should be here by Sept1

gary

any pics of what sounds a lovely bit of kit ? Gary

Just googled and found it on the MTC site - derrrrrrrrrrrrr

sorry Gary - too much vimto and chocolate raisins
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Having used the excellent Viper "conventional" scope for a while now for both field and competition use, I must admit that the new offering sounds innovative and very tempting. Very thorough reviews Para!
    If there are any knocking about at the Midland I just might be tempted. Its pleasing to note that at least one organisation is designing products for us airgunners to use at our specific ranges. Well done the MTC team for leading the field with a new approach to meeting our needs. I am sure that the scope will be a huge success, and I look forward to peering my ageing eyes through the lenses of one soon.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Having used the excellent Viper "conventional" scope for a while now for both field and competition use, I must admit that the new offering sounds innovative and very tempting. Very thorough reviews Para!
    If there are any knocking about at the Midland I just might be tempted. Its pleasing to note that at least one organisation is designing products for us airgunners to use at our specific ranges. Well done the MTC team for leading the field with a new approach to meeting our needs. I am sure that the scope will be a huge success, and I look forward to peering my ageing eyes through the lenses of one soon.
    Andy
    Thanks...I think

I had no idea it was such a long review until I bunged it on here, but I have read many reviews, and would be too easy just to say...hey...this is a great scope...buy one!!

A hell of a lot of thought has gone into the Viper Connect. I showed a chap at the club I have just started attending and he was pretty amazed.

It is a pity this could have not gone on as one lump, and with images, but to be honest there would be little point in the images as I have the 40mm prototype, and Gary and Sammie already have some great images on their web site.

Re the mounting, I find the double ring fine, but it does not allow any room to mount a lamp on.

Sammie tells me the production unit has a slightly longer front end which should help, and it is defo slimmer, but airgunners are usually quite ingenious and will over come this issue (if it is an issue).

The Sports match mount looks as though it will fix this if required.

Personally, I will suck it and see when the production batch arrive.

With the original connect there was a weaver rail on the top, but I mounted a logun lamp screwed through a small plate sandwidged between the mount rings. this gave more than enough light with that scope, and I suspect this one also.

The rifle I have the current unit fitted to will get the NV stuck on it over the winter in any event.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

As you have said Para, lets wait and see what the production versions are like. I am sure that somebody will come up with a means of mounting a gunlamp in a reasonably conventional manner.

Looking forward to seeing one myself.

A genuinely excellent trio of reviews by the way.....

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Ive had a connect01 for a few years now and swear by it,yes its heavy and the eye pice steams up from time to time and the head position takes some gettin used to, thought it was the dog b****x until i tried the prototype connect02 at the midland gamefair last year!All those little niggles with old scope have been ironed out and the good points improved in most cases, cant wait to see if the new batch has arrived by the time the midland is on this year,ill definatly be getting one