Thread: Scoring comp cards

Question Scoring comp cards

I would like to score shot competition cards for air rifle and pistol for county /club competitions that are being held at the club I attend. My question is, is there a recognised training organisation / course that I have to take. Who is the best people to talk to concerning scoring of competition shot cards.
    Many thanks for your antisipated responce. ,

The nsra will have everything you need.

first read the rules and regulations concerning the competition you are shooting.
    most comps do not allow you to score your own cards. although unofficially you can, but do not use shot gauges etc. and do not write the score on the card.
    usually the card's shot will have to be witnessed by a club official, and by doing so confirms that they have been shot to the rules and regs.

some organisations can be overly anal about it all (not mentioning names)
    down to the point of refusing comp card shot on different brand of card!!!

read and re-read the rules, is the best advise i can give.
    if posting, get proof of posting.
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Do you mean you want to work out the score of your own cards for your own satisfaction, or do you mean your club/county have asked you to score cards for their competitions?

Either way, there is no formal course.

If you're just marking your own cards, then ask someone at the club to explain it.

Don't write on the card except to sign it (witness always dates it, never the shooter), and don't use any invasive gauges (i.e. plug gauges).
    Optical gauges are okay if you're careful. The rules forbid tampering with the shot hole prior to marking, so visual inspection is fine.

If you're being asked to do it for the county, then they should provide you with any training necessary, as well as filling you in on local/county rules and standards (for instance, I believe the NSRA treat the unnumbered outer black ring on the 10-spot .22 cards as scoring 5. Hampshire treat anything outside the (numbered) 6 ring as a miss. Not sure as I've never put a shot there, but some counties have local peculiarities.

And if you are using a plug gauge (because it's marginal), don't keep taking the gauge in and out. It goes in and stays in until you make a decision.
    I once saw someone plug a hole 4 or 5 times before announcing it was out, at which point I felt I really had to step in and point out that of course it bloody was because he'd spent the last minute poking and enlarging the hole with the plug! Fortunately didn't make any difference as it was out to start with (IMO).
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

I would like to score shot competition cards for air rifle and pistol for county /club competitions that are being held at the club I attend. My question is, is there a recognised training organisation / course that I have to take. Who is the best people to talk to concerning scoring of competition shot cards.
    First of all you need a sound knowledge of the rules, these may be downloaded from the NSRA website. You would also be well advised to purchase the NSRA booklet "Guidance on Scoring", cost £1.50. You would also be expected to have a reasonable degree of shooting experience in order that you can appreciate some of the problems you may have to deal with.

However before volunteering your services you should appreciate that scoring requires that you can work accurately and consistently as well as being able to allocate time on a regular basis and meet deadlines.

To take up another point mentioned:

some organisations can be overly anal about it all (not mentioning names)
    down to the point of refusing comp card shot on different brand of card!!!
    You may organise your own competitions and shoot them on whatever brand of targets you wish. The NSRA specify their own targets in their competition conditions. It is consistent and I cannot see anything wrong with that. Some other competition organisers will accept ISSF approved targets, that is their decision.

If you feel that the rules need to be changed then have your club bring it up with your county committee who, if they agree, can direct your county NSRA rep to raise it with the shooting council. The mechanism to cahnge the rules is there.

Rutty

"If you feel that the rules need to be changed then have your club bring it up with your county committee who, if they agree, can direct your county NSRA rep to raise it with the shooting council. The mechanism to cahnge the rules is there."

it was and has been raised. they were still anal.
    the fact that their cards are 3 times more expensive than issf cards is another issue.!
    happy with my lot!

it was and has been raised. they were still anal.
    the fact that their cards are 3 times more expensive than issf cards is another issue.!
    I find that interesting, I receive the minutes of the NSRA Shooting Council meetings and have not noticed any request that the conditions of competition be amended to accomodate the use of targets other than those supplied by the NSRA. Could you please indicate the date of the meeting when this was discussed?

The use of targets other than those specified in the competition conditions has come up, but to the best of my knowledge no county has proposed that the rules be changed to permit the use of alternatives.

As far as the cost of cards is concerned, I think you are overstating the case. The cost of 10mtr Air Pistol Targets from the NSRA is approx £45/1000 whilst the cost of similar ISSF approved targets from Europe is approx £28/1000 (both prices include delivery). The NSRA are more expensive but not 3 times more.

Anyway you only require NSRA targets for NSRA competitions, many other organisers will accept the ISSF approved equivalent. So how many NSRA competitions do you shoot? I know that my own club buys ISSF equivalent airgun targets in thousands and NSRA airgun targets in hundreds.

To go back to your assertion that "the NSRA is anal", I can only repeat:

Bring it up with your county committee. Or why not contact this man and put your sugestion to him? He is Lancashire based and I am sure that he will advise you.

Rutty
    Last edited by Rutty; 21-08-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    I find that interesting, I receive the minutes of the NSRA Shooting Council meetings and have not noticed any request that the conditions of competition be amended to accomodate the use of targets other than those supplied by the NSRA. Could you please indicate the date of the meeting when this was discussed?

The use of targets other than those specified in the competition conditions has come up, but to the best of my knowledge no county has proposed that the rules be changed to permit the use of alternatives.

As far as the cost of cards is concerned, I think you are overstating the case. The cost of 10mtr Air Pistol Targets from the NSRA is approx £45/1000 whilst the cost of similar ISSF approved targets from Europe is approx £28/1000 (both prices include delivery). The NSRA are more expensive but not 3 times more.

Anyway you only require NSRA targets for NSRA competitions, many other organisers will accept the ISSF approved equivalent. So how many NSRA competitions do you shoot? I know that my own club buys ISSF equivalent airgun targets in thousands and NSRA airgun targets in hundreds.

To go back to your assertion that "the NSRA is anal", I can only repeat:

Bring it up with your county committee. Or why not contact this man and put your sugestion to him? He is Lancashire based and I am sure that he will advise you.

Rutty
    was it you who refused to score the cards?
    happy with my lot!

was it you who refused to score the cards?
    Ah, now we are getting to the heart of the matter. Due to your own failure to read the Rules and Conditions of a competition you have had scores disallowed. Everyone has to play by the same rules. If you don't like the rules then don't enter or go through the appropriate channels to get them changed.

End

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    Ah, now we are getting to the heart of the matter. Due to your own failure to read the Rules and Conditions of a competition you have had scores disallowed. Everyone has to play by the same rules. If you don't like the rules then don't enter or go through the appropriate channels to get them changed.

End

Rutty
    i wrote "the" not "my" cards

in fact my cards were correct type, as i did not know of cheaper alternatives back then.

anyway
    apologies to curlyrunnerbean for hijacking his thread.
    end also
    happy with my lot!

Thank you for all your help and hope everybody has ironed out and understand the situations that they brought up with this thread