Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Chronograph ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Which Chronograph ?

I've been looking at moving up from a combro, and the choices seem to be a Chrony or a Skan.

I understand the Chrony is a bit fussy with the type of light, but looks good if you wanted a nice large space to fire things through.
    The skan looks better in a lot of ways but is it really worth the extra money?

Cheers
    James
    Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20 - Air Arms TX200 HC .177
    FX Verminator .177 - Theoben Evolution .177

ive just bought a chrony f1...brilliant bit of kit...yes its abit light sensitive,mainly dont use it anywhere near neon lamps ie. in a kitchen.... it comes with diffusers so it works fine in direct sunlight .... a mate got a skan but paid 3 times as much and it only does the same thing in the end !!!!

CED with infra red diffuser tops.
    Regards, Kevin -

Cornwall Airgunners Club.

Exclamation

Has any one seen this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-C_8kyUQbE
    Is there realy that much diferance between the two chronys. Jon.

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonone View Post
    I did the same test recently , a combro through my f1 beta and the combro was lower, i trust my f1 because it matches the skan at the club,

Thats the second combro i've come across that reads low, only 30-40 fps but if someone sets there gun at 11.5 it could actually be more!

Trouble is not everyone can afford a high end chrono and the combros are very popular, better to have one rather than nothing i agree, but unless you compare readings how will you know for sure?

Anyway back to the F1, works better in the shade even with the diffusers on, i was looking at some 12v led's so i can set it up in the shed, work in progress when i get round to it
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by jayt View Post
    I did the same test recently , a combro through my f1 beta and the combro was lower, i trust my f1 because it matches the skan at the club,

Thats the second combro i've come across that reads low, only 30-40 fps but if someone sets there gun at 11.5 it could actually be more!

Trouble is not everyone can afford a high end chrono and the combros are very popular, better to have one rather than nothing i agree, but unless you compare readings how will you know for sure?

Anyway back to the F1, works better in the shade even with the diffusers on, i was looking at some 12v led's so i can set it up in the shed, work in progress when i get round to it
    I haven't found the thread, but I seem to recall that the Combro can be self calibrated. Perhaps someone will confirm this.

Found the thread
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I haven't found the thread, but I seem to recall that the Combro can be self calibrated. Perhaps someone will confirm this.

Found the thread
    Yep forgot you can do this but again what do you compare it too?

http://www.chronoscopes.com/
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

Here is the way i got my Alpha Chrony to work inside, the light kit is expensive and if you are still close to strip lights it sometimes would show up errors,

So i went to B & Q and gota couple of LED spotlights and fixed them as shown in the picture, I have had no problems since and it only cost £10

Iain D
    FWB 700 Universal, FWB65, Anschuz 1913, BSA Martini MK5, CZ452

Mr Magoo is offline Should Have Gone to SecsPavers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-C_8kyUQbE

Wow!.

I have not seen that footage on Youtube before.

Thanks Jonone

So if the combro was reading wrong and your rifle was confiscated by the police and tested

Possibly looking at a prison sentence.

Be Very Careful

Nice find that, which one is the more accurate?

Just because a Chrony tallies up with another at a different location, humidity and a different light dont make it correct when used elsewhere. Manufacturers spend thousands and used in controlled environment.
    Also have seen numerous times them reading a good 10% fast 17 years ago.
    Even external lighting kits and adaptations would need checking even recalibrating.

Of course the Combro could be out, we dont know. The only way to find out is compare with a known to be good.

Aside from that both run 4mhz which translates to +/-1.5% error each individual shot. That means each individual shot with something running 800ft/sec could give any reading -12 to +12ft sec.

Quote Originally Posted by hareng View Post
    Aside from that both run 4mhz which translates to +/-1.5% error each individual shot. That means each individual shot with something running 800ft/sec could give any reading -12 to +12ft sec.
    Hate to disagree but at 800 ft/s the cb-625 clock resolves to around 0.8 ft/s and displays to 1 ft/s.

984 counts = 800.2 ft/s
    983 counts = 801.0 ft/s

There are potential faults that can put them out which is why I am a fanatical tester.

Top tip for accuracy has to be "read the manual", they don't work by magic, they depend on you to get the setup right.

If you think you have a problem cb-625 I am not hard to find

Robin

If you have a Combro and you think it is reading low or high, send it to Robin and he will check and adjust the calibration (there may be a small charge for this, depending on its age)

I had mine checked some time back and it is spot on, even after shooting it the other day. It needs some new case parts so maybe it is time to get it checked again.

I have had it since 1996 and wouldn't be without it.

Hmm, F1 reads 967, cb-625 reads 871 ft/s

Sorry to be all mathematical but chronoscopy is all about numbers.

871/967 times the 60mm optical separation on the cb-625 = 54mm, that's 6mm out.

But the cb-625 optics are only 1.5mm wide

If I wanted to get that result I think I'd remove one of the metal sunfilters from a photodiode and set up a false optical path. Perhaps it happened at the same instant he lost one segment on the LCD

I'm not saying the cb-625 can't be that far out, a dud capacitor could do it, it is, however, unlikely.

Robin
    Last edited by robinghewitt; 23-08-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Typo's

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    I got an F1 as I was certain that I would shoot a Combro!!!

I really like it to be honest. Take care with lighting and it's very useful.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Joke, Chrony in fluorescent light Just as bad outdoors in sunlight. Whats the point in an inaccurate chrono.
    Same applies to newer Skans, says mine is doing 300ft/sec shooting back to 8ft through a small hole and shielded from above light.
    The Combro beats hands down for accuracy even though knackered two up.

Theres only one to buy CED M2 with Infra Red setup, use in any light so not affected by changing conditions. Add to that the clock runs 12 times quicker than all other chronos.