Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Chronograph ?

Question Which Chronograph ?

I've been looking at moving up from a combro, and the choices seem to be a Chrony or a Skan.

I understand the Chrony is a bit fussy with the type of light, but looks good if you wanted a nice large space to fire things through.
    The skan looks better in a lot of ways but is it really worth the extra money?

Cheers
    James
    Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20 - Air Arms TX200 HC .177
    FX Verminator .177 - Theoben Evolution .177

ive just bought a chrony f1...brilliant bit of kit...yes its abit light sensitive,mainly dont use it anywhere near neon lamps ie. in a kitchen.... it comes with diffusers so it works fine in direct sunlight .... a mate got a skan but paid 3 times as much and it only does the same thing in the end !!!!

CED with infra red diffuser tops.
    Regards, Kevin -

Cornwall Airgunners Club.

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    I got an F1 as I was certain that I would shoot a Combro!!!

I really like it to be honest. Take care with lighting and it's very useful.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Joke, Chrony in fluorescent light Just as bad outdoors in sunlight. Whats the point in an inaccurate chrono.
    Same applies to newer Skans, says mine is doing 300ft/sec shooting back to 8ft through a small hole and shielded from above light.
    The Combro beats hands down for accuracy even though knackered two up.

Theres only one to buy CED M2 with Infra Red setup, use in any light so not affected by changing conditions. Add to that the clock runs 12 times quicker than all other chronos.

sitsinhedges Guest
    Chronys can be used to chrono anything from an airgun pellet to a cannon ball

Bet the others can't

to be honest it all comes down to a couple of things ie, how accurate do you need to be ( hft/ft or plinking) i use a skan mainly because all my testing is done in my garage under artificial light and i need accurate results as if its my first test with a new pellet i need to know how consistent it is before i bother with accuracy tests, i also need it for doing shot count tests and power tests ect to be really honest the £179 i spent was well worth it.air guns are queer beasts at the best of times and i have now had 2 new guns running well hot and without a chrono you will never know untill its too late i would say that any body getting into air gunning with an alleged sub 12 ftlb gun needs access to a chrono just to be sure

I find the Combro more than adequate at about 40 quid

179 quid

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I find the Combro more than adequate at about 40 quid

179 quid

Matty
    So have I until now. I can't strap the combro to my hw45 and it doesn't like the recoil on the Evo.

It's a pain that the Chrony doesn't like strip lights, I'll be using it in the garage!
    Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20 - Air Arms TX200 HC .177
    FX Verminator .177 - Theoben Evolution .177

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    So have I until now. I can't strap the combro to my hw45 and it doesn't like the recoil on the Evo.

It's a pain that the Chrony doesn't like strip lights, I'll be using it in the garage!
    There is a light kit available for the Chrony which over comes this problem, it should also be possible to make your own set up.

The advantage of the Chrony (I have the F1) is that it can be used whilst shooting targets. I can set mine up on my homemade bench so that It records the velocity whilst I am accuracy testing.

Each pellet weighed then shot. Thus you know the MV and FPE for each shot of a group and can use this info for pellet testing/selection. It helps determine whether a light/heavy pellet does fly faster/slower and whether or not this affects the POI.

Exclamation

Has any one seen this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-C_8kyUQbE
    Is there realy that much diferance between the two chronys. Jon.

in the market for a new chrony myself at the moment.I shot the end off my combro while using it on my: springer [rubber bands allowed the recoil to move it]
    I found all the pieces and superglued it back together which was a success and worked fine for a year....problem now is the batteries have gone flat and I cant get the thing apart..yup...cos it superglued...DOH!!!
    the Bolton wanderer who wandered to London [lost at the time]

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonone View Post
    Has any one seen this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-C_8kyUQbE
    Is there realy that much diferance between the two chronys. Jon.
    I did the same test recently , a combro through my f1 beta and the combro was lower, i trust my f1 because it matches the skan at the club,

Thats the second combro i've come across that reads low, only 30-40 fps but if someone sets there gun at 11.5 it could actually be more!

Trouble is not everyone can afford a high end chrono and the combros are very popular, better to have one rather than nothing i agree, but unless you compare readings how will you know for sure?

Anyway back to the F1, works better in the shade even with the diffusers on, i was looking at some 12v led's so i can set it up in the shed, work in progress when i get round to it
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by jayt View Post
    I did the same test recently , a combro through my f1 beta and the combro was lower, i trust my f1 because it matches the skan at the club,

Thats the second combro i've come across that reads low, only 30-40 fps but if someone sets there gun at 11.5 it could actually be more!

Trouble is not everyone can afford a high end chrono and the combros are very popular, better to have one rather than nothing i agree, but unless you compare readings how will you know for sure?

Anyway back to the F1, works better in the shade even with the diffusers on, i was looking at some 12v led's so i can set it up in the shed, work in progress when i get round to it
    I haven't found the thread, but I seem to recall that the Combro can be self calibrated. Perhaps someone will confirm this.

Found the thread
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I haven't found the thread, but I seem to recall that the Combro can be self calibrated. Perhaps someone will confirm this.

Found the thread
    Yep forgot you can do this but again what do you compare it too?

http://www.chronoscopes.com/
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?