Thread: Indoor Pistol Shooting Club

Indoor Pistol Shooting Club

Hi All

Im thinking of starting a Indoor Pistol Target Club ie: in a Church hall or community centre etc.

Has anyone ever done anything like this and could offer some advice on how to start, if its possible, what insurance would one need etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Davy Tee

Contact the NSRA,

http://www.nsra.co.uk/index.php?opti...id=20&Itemid=3

Ali Aitken would be the best place to start.

HTH

Alan

thank you

insurance

I think your simplest way to handle insurance is to affilliate to the nsra - if nothing else its a good starting point

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Beware! Many people hear the word shooting and shut their ears. I've had trouble with getting permission within our Scout Hut for crying out loud and it's a standard Scout activity! Where we previously borrowed a hall, they wouldn't let us at all.

You're going the right way about though - having insurance cover before you even ask does smooth some feathers.....

Not to put you off - just to warn you it may take longer than you think and involve some careful handling of the grumpy old ladies who seem to run the committees....
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

Hi

I chair Shebbear Shooters AGC. We began in 2003 with a grant from the Millennium Commission, and until last year we were an outdoor club only, with permanently laid out FT and HFT courses. We had - and still have - a wide range of members, all-out target shooters, fun plinkers, hunters who want somewhere to fettle their kit and to hone their skills, and so on.

A few years ago I had a try at Light Sporting Rifle, the NSRA indoor 20 yard standing discipline, and was going to join a club as we had no facility of our own.

However, NSRA affiliation covers you for two ranges, one indoor and one outdoor. I went along to see the committee at our local village hall, found out that the hall is seldom booked for every night of the week, offered them the idea that we would be happy to give them 2 or 3 bookings a month and would fit them around their existing users. That was enough to trigger (no pun) their interest.

We had to do a proper method statement and risk assessments to show how we would occupy and shoot safely in the hall, and we had to supply copies of our club papers, constitution, rules, insurance etc. One thing we added was that any new recruits to the club would have to prove their competence and safety at the outdoor range before the committee would let them take part in indoor shooting. Although nobody wants any shots going wrong, the potential for harm in a four acre field is rather less than in an enclosed hall.

So far it's been a success. We take part in the NSRA postal comps for LSR and at the moment I think we are in top place in division 3. One of our members has also won a bronze medal for being 3rd in B class nationally.

We have made up some target holders with combined pellet catchers and they have built in illumination. If you're interested I'll email some photos of the construction. They are chipboard and ply with 3mm steel plate liners.

You can get NSRA affiliation for as little as about £130 I think; that is for a maximum of 30 members. We are a bit above that and our affiliation for the year, with additional insurance cover, was £220.

Here are some pics: Christine shooting a BSA Ultra. http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...0225lowres.jpg

A pellet trap in manufacture: http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...llettrap-1.jpg

Three target holder/pellet traps illuminated: http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...Catchers-1.jpg
    Last edited by Rich; 30-08-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Photos aded