Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Govt airgun review - deadline near

Airgun law review - submission deadline near

This is what the BASC says:

The influential parliamentary Home Affairs Committee has begun an inquiry into firearms control and is seeking written submissions from the public before it takes oral evidence in the autumn.

BASC will be making a detailed submission but it’s vitally important that the inquiry also hears from individual shooters and collectors before the 27 August deadline.

Your submission must be “original work” and not merely repeat the wording of circulated information. Put your arguments in your own words. Tell the committee the type of shooting that you do, how long you have been shooting for and why it is an important part of your life.

BASC has produced an online guide to help you make your submission to the inquiry.

BASC guide to responding - with a big section on airgun facts and figures:

The danger presented by, and legislation regulating, airguns.

* Home Office statistics show that in 2008/09, the level of airgun offences declined by 19% which in turn was a fall of 15% over the previous year.

* The overall decline in airgun offences since the peak year of 2003/4 is 56%.

* Although most airguns are not certificated, this does not mean that they are not controlled. Airguns are considered to be “firearms” for the purposes of the criminal law. Those who misuse airguns are subject to a wide raft of over 30 potential criminal charges with commensurate penalties including heavy fines and imprisonment.

* Air rifles are limited in power to a kinetic energy of 12 foot-pounds (ft/lbs). In comparison a .22 rimfire rifle, used for training cadets, target shooting and small pest control has a kinetic energy of around 135 ft/lbs and a standard shotgun can easily reach 1350 ft/lbs. Air pistols are limited to 6 ft/lbs. Above these power levels, air rifles can only be possessed on the authority of a firearm certificate and air pistols are prohibited weapons.

* Air rifles and pistols are used in target shooting up to Olympic level. Low powered air rifles (< 12 ft/lbs) fire a light projectile over short distances and are also used to control pests up to the size of a rabbit at ranges up to 25 yards. They are effective around buildings where standard firearms cannot be used.

* Informed estimates suggest that there are upwards of 4 million low powered airguns in circulation. A retrospective ban on possession would be impractical because no records exist of who owns them. This would simply criminalise large number of people to no effect and a large number of air rifles and pistols could become available to a criminal black market.

* Retrospective licensing of currently owned air weapons would not improve public safety because recent experience shows that most people who currently own one would not apply for a licence. Only already lawful users would be likely to apply.

* It is an offence for anyone to fire an air pellet beyond the premises where they have permission to shoot. When young persons aged 14 and under are being supervised by an adult aged 21 or over, both the young person and supervising adult commit the offence.

* Young people under 14 may not use an airgun unless they are supervised by someone over 21.

* Young people between 14-17 years of age may not buy or hire an airgun or ammunition or receive one as a gift. However an airgun may be borrowed from a person over 18 years of age and used on private property with the occupier’s consent, without supervision. A person within this age group may not carry an airgun in a public place at any time unless supervised by a person of or over 21 years and then only with a good reason for doing so.

* Nobody under 18 years may buy an airgun or its ammunition.

* Licensing airguns would impose an intolerable administrative burden on the police which would have an adverse impact on public safety by diverting scarce resources away from front-line policing and firearms licensing.
    Last edited by Garvin; 24-08-2010 at 10:09 AM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Firearms Review

Thanks Garvin this is a timely reminder to all of us who shoot whatever we use and deserves a bump.

Firearms Review

Another bump.

I've just Emailed mine this morning and there is still time to do it.

I suggested that no further licencing of sub 12ftlb rifles is necessary and that FAC rated air rifles from 12ftlbs to 40ftlbs be included on the easier to get Shotgun Certificate. To me it seems plain daft to have a 20ftlb HW80 on the same cert as a 135ftlb rimfire.

I also suggested that .22 Pistols/Revolvers and say centrefire pistols up to .38/9mm come off section 5.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post

I also suggested that .22 Pistols/Revolvers and say centrefire pistols up to .38/9mm come off section 5.
    That'll sort it

Correct me if I'm wrong but the second sentence of the 8th item down does not make sense in relation to item 9. Shouldn't it read "When young persons 14 and under are being supervised by an adult 'under' 21 the young person and the supervising adult commit an offence."

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gander View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the second sentence of the 8th item down does not make sense in relation to item 9. Shouldn't it read "When young persons 14 and under are being supervised by an adult 'under' 21 the young person and the supervising adult commit an offence."

Phil
    No Phil, I think it's saying that if a pellet strays beyond a permitted area and an adult over 21 is supervising a child, they both get done for it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Just in time

You need to get your reply in quickly, I think the deadline is 27 Aug.
    I sent mine in a while ago pointing out several things that are controlled to no purpose (replicas, which cannot harm anyone - ever). Banning something because of what it looks like is quite ridiculous.
    I also pointed out this stupid situation - I have five classes of firearm on certificate:
    One class I can possess at home but must not shoot (S7(1))
    One class I keep at home and I must shoot regualrly (S1)
    One class I can keep at home but may not shoot (except under the general range exemption) (S1 belonging to my wife but on my ticket for administrative purposes)
    One class I cannot keep at home but can shoot if I wish (S7(3))
    One class I can keep at home and can shoot or not (S2)
    This all makes it difficut for the shooter without helping to cut crime in the slightest. Even my FEO struggles to keep up with the law.

deserves a bump

Quote Originally Posted by reaper6 View Post
    deserves a bump
    Not really, the deadline passed three days ago.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Deadline has been extended for anyone still wishing to submit evidence, But not by much check out the BASC website for details.

If you shoot anything at all , please do not miss this opportunity to have your say.....

Lakey

Here is the link from the shooting times website

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/news/..._extended.html

If anyone does use the extension to submit evidence, could they please include some comments on power testing such as the opportunity to introduce standard projectiles for testing and getting rid of that bloody 'capable' word!

Thanks for that Lakey.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Here is the link from the shooting times website

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/news/..._extended.html
    Thanks for the notice - I've sent my comments again.

The opposition will be submitting evidence too. Check this out and especially the comments at the end:

http://www.league.org.uk/blogs_entry.aspx?id=136
    Vintage Airguns Gallery