Thread: Black Powder Beginner

Black Powder Beginner

Hi folks, I'm new on here or rather returning after a long absence from the airgun scene.

I'm rather confused about the legal side of BP guns and would appreciate a bit of guidance. I have a SGC and would like to know what I can own or build as a kit. I appreciated the explosives licencing aspects but what about the weapons themselves? I assume that antique firearms can be owned but not used but what category would a new or old smoothbore gun fit into if I want to use it?

I'm guessing that a lot of smoothbore long guns fit the description of a shotgun but then that presumably wouldn't allow the use of solid ball ammunition???

Advice appreciated.

Ad

I'd also be interested to know on what basis it is legal to own a smoothbore pistol.
    Again thanks for any advice.

Smoothbore guns are on SGC.
    If the barrel is rifled you need an FAC.

You are right about not being able to fire single projectiles unless it is on a FAC.

A smoothbore pistol would need to be on an FAC if you wanted to use it.
    You can have an antique muzzleloader, rifle or pistol, without a licence unless you want to use them.

As far as I am aware it is illegal to bore a barrel. This has to be done by an RFD so any kit would have to have the barrel already bored.

You can shoot a single round ball from a smoothbored long gun on SGC.

Generally referred to as a musket.

Steve.

Cool thanks guys.

So I can own or build a musket and shoot shot or single balls, all on my SGC. That's great and exactly what I was hoping.

Again thanks for the help.

Ad

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    You can shoot a single round ball from a smoothbored long gun on SGC.

Generally referred to as a musket.

Steve.
    Where do you get this from?

A shotgun cartridge must have no less than 6 pellets or it becomes an FAC.
    I assume the same applies to muzzleloaders since they are on SGC.

Interested?

Yes but thats a 'cartridge' and not the loose constituents of a load for a muzzle loader. As far as I know, a cartridge in that context has to have its own ignition source, so it also excludes muzzle loading cartridges such as might be made for a Brown Bess.

I should just add that there is an agreement that round ball is only shot on approved ranges. I have to admit that I don't know the history of this and always assumed that it was between MLAGB and ACPO?

Whilst I am not aware that it is illegal to shoot round ball off range, I would imagine that if it became generally known that this was happening then there would be pressure for a change in law and we don't want that.

Steve.

I have just asked a member of the MLAGB and he shoots his musket with patched ball on SGC.He said you can have it on FAC or SGC.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mac View Post
    I have just asked a member of the MLAGB and he shoots his musket with patched ball on SGC.He said you can have it on FAC or SGC.
    Thats interesting, you learn something new everyday, thanks.