Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Webley Tempest Centennial ETA

I can't understand the fuss about this. To me, these aren't real Webleys, and commemorating a meaningless 'centenary' of a company that no longer exists in any meaningful way just seems stupid, and smacks of marketing cobblers and exploiting the collector market. What exactly, is it a centenary of? Didn't Webley only start making air pistols in the 1920s? Selling these for the prices they are asking seems like a rip-off to me. I am a Webley fan, and as much as I love the real Webleys that I already own (pistols: a Mk1, a Senior, a Premier, two Tempests, two Nemesis, a Stinger, also rifles: two Mk3s, a vulcan, and two Longbows) I have got no interest whatsoever in owning one of these Turkish copies. I'd rather buy one of those indian Senior copies than one of these.

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste
    [QUOTE=Rob M;4763174 I have got no interest whatsoever in owning one of these Turkish copies. I'd rather buy one of those indian Senior copies than one of these.[/QUOTE]

Well, I`ve got Mk I, MkII Service(versions 1-3) and Mk III rifles, pistols from Mk1 to Tempest and I have had a Centennial Tempest on order with BAR since Jan 2010 because I want one. If you don`t, then don`t buy, simple, don`t make a fuss about something you`re not concerned about.
    Laudator temporis acti

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    ... I'd rather buy one of those indian Senior copies than one of these.
    What Indian Senior copies are these then...?

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda113 View Post
    Well, I`ve got Mk I, MkII Service(versions 1-3) and Mk III rifles, pistols from Mk1 to Tempest and I have had a Centennial Tempest on order with BAR since Jan 2010 because I want one. If you don`t, then don`t buy, simple, don`t make a fuss about something you`re not concerned about.
    I think you've missed Rob's point - Webley only patented an air pistol they never made in 1910 and the tardy buggers have missed the 'centennary' of this non-starter...
    They didn't actually start making any pistols until 1924 so the 'centennary' isn't until 2024 and even then I suppose a centennary model should arguably be a Mk.I....
    Finally, if a company that does'nt actually produce guns any more releases a 'centennary' model then it perhaps has to accept the cynicism that it is only a marketing ploy rather than ongoing commitment to the production of air pistols.
    (and please don't mention the Alecto which is a Zoraki HP-01 with a Webley badge on it)
    Last edited by harvey_s; 20-01-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda113 View Post
    I'm not making a fuss, I was kind of hoping someone might give me a good reason for buying one, although at the price they're asking I wouldn't buy one on principal! Over £200 for a turkish copy of a pistol that was less than half that from JSRs when they were British made! It really seems to me like they are out to rip off the collector market. I know it comes in a nice case, but these things are made in Turkey where manufacturing costs far less than it does in the UK, so how is this price justified?

It reminds me of when they started selling turkish made Longbows, poorer finish, made abroad where manufacturing costs are much less, but they were asking more for them! I just think it's sad to see the 'Webley' name reduced to being a sticker put on cheap foreign guns in order to hike up the price a bit, it doesn't seem fair to me.

A company called ISW in India was making copies of the Senior a while ago, I think that they may have got the tooling from Webley after Webley stopped production, it is an exact copy and is called the "ISW Senior", parts are interchangeable with the Webley Senior.

I would like to see a back-to-back comparison of the 2 inc. performance.
    I also hope the parts are interchangable or I can see spares being an issue for a limited run such as this....

Just found this...

Page from ISW catalogue

I'm going to get in touch with them with a view to maybe importing one.

Just found this...

Page from ISW catalogue

I'm going to get in touch with them with a view to maybe importing one.
    It says min. order is 8 with prices between 2000-3000 Rupees - That's £27-£40...
    At that money I'd take a punt....just as a 'centennial' celebration you understand

I can't understand the fuss about this. To me, these aren't real Webleys, and commemorating a meaningless 'centenary' of a company that no longer exists in any meaningful way just seems stupid, and smacks of marketing cobblers and exploiting the collector market. What exactly, is it a centenary of? Didn't Webley only start making air pistols in the 1920s? Selling these for the prices they are asking seems like a rip-off to me. I am a Webley fan, and as much as I love the real Webleys that I already own (pistols: a Mk1, a Senior, a Premier, two Tempests, two Nemesis, a Stinger, also rifles: two Mk3s, a vulcan, and two Longbows) I have got no interest whatsoever in owning one of these Turkish copies. I'd rather buy one of those indian Senior copies than one of these.
    I'm with you on this one,i already have a very tidy proper webley tempest and i just cant see what the turkish example has to do with webley,thats if we ever get to see them.And like you point out,the price is unreal and their future value once bought is going to drop like a stone...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    It says min. order is 8 with prices between 2000-3000 Rupees - That's £27-£40...
    At that money I'd take a punt....just as a 'centennial' celebration you understand
    Aye that's very reasonable - though postage, import duty, tax and what have you would push that up a little.

If you were building a list to meet the minimum order quantity I too would take a punt with you

Regards these "New" Tempests - not the real thing but can't help still wanting one, just not at that price.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Well, I for one am quite happy to see it back, Turkish or not. Its an 80 year old tradition and so having some degree of continuity is excellent. If other Turkish airguns are anything to go by it may be good to indifferent. I suspect that as what passes for Webley these days was involved its quailty will be pretty decent. I have a couple of Hatsans and they look and shoot fine. The Turkish products are, like it or not, as good as anything from the 'cheaper# manufacturers like Gamo, or Norica, and are, I'm afraid, as good as th emodern BSA springers (at least partly made in Spain). Just because Johnny foreigner has a hand in matters does not automatically maske it rubbish.

The centennial bit refers to the first Webely air pistol patent issued in 1910, shame they missed it by a year.....

But as it sems there is an Indian Senior (presumably made in steel) then the tradition continues elsewhere as well. May it long continue.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Just because Johnny foreigner has a hand in matters does not automatically maske it rubbish.
    I'm not saying it will be rubbish at all, just that in my eyes, it's not a genuine Webley and calling it a 'centennial' and charging as much as they are makes it look like a cynical attempt to rip off collectors, that's all. If it was much cheaper I would actually be interested as the Tempest is an excellent plinker (I own two and one of them is the pistol I use most often) and I already own a load of foreign airguns, but as it is, I think it's a rip-off. That's all I'm saying.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Well, the company that commisisons it is called Webley and I suppose they have every right to call it what they want. 'Real' Webley is dead and buried and so no, it wont be a 'real' Webely. It is as you say a rip off, though I may try to buy one just for the hell of it.

...and smacks of marketing cobblers and exploiting the collector market.
    Yes, agreed. That is usually the case with most "centenary" versions of anything. At least some manufacturers give us something truly different such as HW's green laminated 97k.

What about BSA's rebadged anniversary (Gamo) Meteor... sorry but uuuuugh. (wheres the puke smiley?)

I too hate anything "designed" to be collectable - reminds me of thimble collections...
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS