Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1851 colt navy conversion

1851 colt navy conversion

Hey folks, my grandfather gave me a "replica" revolver earlier on, i always remember being fascinated by it as a child and now he's decided he wants me to have it down to his bad health

I've been trying to identify exactly what it is because he once told me that he has a suspicion its not a replica at all. He came by it when his brother who often travelled to America passed away a few years ago, he also had a fascination with guns and fetched this back with him. I'm not sure when he fetched it over here but to me it looks like it still has the firing pin
    I've never owned my own firearm and dont consider myself an expert in any way (just airguns for me!) but as far as i can tell it still has the firing pin which is visible when the hammer is pushed forward, i'll put some photos of it for you guys to deduce an opinion. Another thing that fueled my suspicion was when i googled the name scrawled on the box (1851 navy conversion) most of what i found were .38 special firing replicas of the original revolver which makes me wonder if thats what this is.

Let me know if you recognize anything guys let me know as i'd love to find out exactly what ive been given.
    Cheers
    -Josh

Any pics?

Look through the chamber - If the hole is not clear all the way through (I.e. either totally or partially blocked) then it's either a replica or blank firer. Also, is the barrel plugged?

oops!

Forgot the photos! But apparently i cant attach photos so ill have to sign up to a image hosting site and post links! wont be long
    -Josh

here you go

Heres a shot of what i think is the firing pin
    http://i33.tinypic.com/2yyzi85.jpg
    and heres the whole thing
    http://i34.tinypic.com/ven2b6.jpg

When i shine a light downwards behind the cylinder i can see it down the barrel so i think it is unblocked

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    It looks too clean and shiny to be an original.

If it is a replica: you need a FAC to own it, unless it's deactivated.

If it's a cartridge conversion: you can't own it at all, unless it's deactivated.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

i bet its a brocock pistol......open the cylinder and look into one of the holes where the tac goes and it will be stepped or better still look down the barrel from the muzzle and it will be .22 or .177 hole

It looks too clean and shiny to be an original.

If it is a replica: you need a FAC to own it, unless it's deactivated.

If it's a cartridge conversion: you can't own it at all, unless it's deactivated.

Jim
    Yeah i know its definitely not original but what's confusing me is if it is a fully functional pistol, how would my great uncle have got it onto the UK as he did'nt have an FAC either. I know it was purchased in America but surely he must have an FAC to fetch it over here

i bet its a brocock pistol......open the cylinder and look into one of the holes where the tac goes and it will be stepped or better still look down the barrel from the muzzle and it will be .22 or .177 hole
    Looks like you could be right there actually... i just held a .22 pellet up to the muzzle its exactly the same size as far as i can tell, im away for the weekend but when i get back ill buy a de-ac 22 round and a 38 special to see which one it is but as i say i think you might be right with the .22 cal

Josh, take it to your local RFD and tell him the circumstances of it coming into your possesion. He will tell you what it is and explain your options if it is a firearm.

jj

Quote Originally Posted by jjvc View Post
    Josh, take it to your local RFD and tell him the circumstances of it coming into your possesion. He will tell you what it is and explain your options if it is a firearm.

jj
    Indeed. You need to ascertain exactly what this is, and dispose of it in the proper way if necessary.

hopefuklly hes not in a bad mood, there wont be options he will take the firearm, and ask a lot of questions one including who gets the 5 years? lol na there pretty good but will take the weapon imeadiatly unless you show intrest in useing it at a club in which case he will probly issue you with a temp licence while he reviews you or tell you to have it held in a shop untill you know whats happening, by he i mean the firearms officer not the rfd.

Best thing is to research the law - check with organizations like your NRA - and decide in advance what you want to do with it, depending on what it is and the applicable law.

If it's an original percussion, a non-firing replica, a conventional air pistol, a deactivated cartridge conversion, or a deactivated modern percussion, you can own it without any legal hassle.

If it's a firing condition cartridge conversion, you can get it deactivated but you can't get a fAC for it.

If it's a firing condition modern percussion, you can get it deactivated. Or get it on FAC: but you'll need to join a pistol club, and shoot it there regularly.

A Brocock TAC? I know that when they were banned, it was a legal compromise: present owners could keep them but could never transfer them to anyone else. Therefore, I don't think you could legally keep it if it's a firing condition TAC. But I would guess that you could, if you get it deactivated.

In any case, it's a beautiful pistol, has a family history to it, and obviously means something to you: so I hope that you will find a way to legally keep it.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 25-08-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thats very good advice

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

I'm not sure

Looks to be a groove through the breech which could mean that it's a breech loader.
    Also, no nipples so it might not be a muzzle loader.

Given that your grandfather gave it to you it's unlikely to be a nitro conversion from a BP M/L.

Have a look for proof marks, that should tell you if it's a replica or not.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

A few weeks ago i was at a clients house and he had several authentic looking revolvers on the wall. I commented on one in particular that should have been a cap and ball with nipples but was actually a cartridge revolver, marked up as 9mm if i remember right. It looked very much like the one in your picture and when i got talking to the owner he told me they were made by Pietta and where sold as non firing copies. He even had a catalouge which i had a good look at but they were expencive compared to a real shooting one though.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mat BRC View Post
    Thats very good advice
    Thank you!

Jim