Thread: Anyone interested in guns of the American Civil War?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Anyone interested in guns of the American Civil War?

This topic is interesting me more all the time, as the 150th anniversary of the conflict begins later this year.

Makes me feel old, since I can remember as a boy the 100th anniversary!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim

I've just bought a really nice Civil War era Spencer carbine. Could take a few pictures of it if you like ?

I would love to see them.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

The gunmakers of Birmingham profitted from the ACW immensely. They were supplying guns to both sides. There is a plaque in the Gun Quarter stating that legend has it the gunmakers would light cigars with £20 notes and would order two taxi's to go out: one for them and one to carry their top-hats and coats. Not very moral, I suppose, when one thinks of the tremendous loss of life. I read a very good novel about the ACW recently: "Enemy Women" by Paulette Jiles.

A snippet from The Revolver 1818 - 1865,

It might be thought that the company's [London Armoury Company, whose chairman Archibald Hamilton was a confederate sympathizer] eventual liquidation [in 1866] stemmed from a Confederate failure, as it disintergrated, to pay for what was ordered. In fact, this does not appear to be the case ... payment was always made in due course.
    Responsibility for this financing, in the teeth of enormous difficulties, undoubtedly lay with the Confederacy's European bankers, Messrs Fraser, Trenholm & Co, who were London based , and of great reputation and integrity. Left with worthless Confederate paper when the South finally capitulated, these bankers grimly honoured every Confederate draft upon them, and to their own ultimate ruin.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    The gunmakers of Birmingham profitted from the ACW immensely. They were supplying guns to both sides. There is a plaque in the Gun Quarter stating that legend has it the gunmakers would light cigars with £20 notes and would order two taxi's to go out: one for them and one to carry their top-hats and coats. Not very moral, I suppose, when one thinks of the tremendous loss of life. I read a very good novel about the ACW recently: "Enemy Women" by Paulette Jiles.
    People will always make a profit of other's tragedy.

The saddest thing is when they engineer the tragedy for the very purpose.

Jim

A beautiful piece, Lee, inexcellent condition!

Now I know what I have to start saving up for!

Jim