Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Arms S400 MPR Target Rifle

Air Arms S400 MPR Target Rifle

Air Arms have a reputation for producing good air rifles.

But is their MPR Target rifle likely to be up their with the likes of Anschutz, Feinwekbau and Walther's basic rather than top of the range rifles for 10m indoor target shooting with perhaps a better quality of rear-sight fitted.

hunter88 is offline Hunter Field 'Tree' Shooter
    yes is the answer its a fantastic rifle and is well in my opinion as good as anschutz etc
    http://www.buxtedshootingclub.co.uk/ SiHFT Winners 2008 2009 2010

But is their MPR Target rifle likely to be up their with the likes of Anschutz, Feinwekbau and Walther's basic rather than top of the range rifles for 10m indoor target shooting with perhaps a better quality of rear-sight fitted.
    Compared with the "entry level" offerings from the 3 big German manufacturers Air Arms products represent very good value. Now if Air Arms could produce something with the same range and ease of adjustment as the GunPower Edge but with a decent trigger and a sensible sight line, then they would have a real winner.

Rutty

The MPR is a great starter/junior rifle for 10metre but it does have some small failings which it's competitors have the edge on.
    Quality of rearsight, the big boys are way ahead.(Will cost a bit to upgrade)
    sight radius (distance from rear to front sight, longer the better within ISSF rules) an oversight on AA's behalf I think. (barrel extension tube?)
    The butt, adjustable but not nearly enough.( standard version, not the ali version).
    The trigger, again the big boys are ahead.

For the price you cant go wrong and the small failings it has can be rectified with a bit of fettling and some inginuity, and of course, some of your hard earned folding stuff!!

Bing!

I agree that the rear-sight is not that special and I would definitely consider upgrading to something like the Gehmann 590 with a suitable adjustable iris unit.

The other thing is that although I am 5'9" tall I have a long body and shorter than average arms so a starter/junior type rifle is probably better for me that a full size one. I also quite like a lighter weight rifle and the full size German ones I've handled do see rather heavy at around 4.5kg.

Air Arms also list two versions of the MPR on it's leaflets - Sporter which has an overall length of 925mm and a Precision version which has an overall length of 1047mm and also has a muzzle extension and butt pad spacer kit fitted as standard.

The good thing about a lighter rifle is you can add weight to suit how you like it. You may find as you add weight the rifle will "slow down", as the target moves around in the foresight it will become easier to maintain aim. The lighter the rifle the more likely it is to flash back and forth, slightest tremors send the target flying out of your foresight, the heavier the rifle (within reason) the slower this movement will be... In theory..

Bing!

To be honest, I'd rather have a sech anschutz, FWB etc. Not cause the AA is inherently less accurate, no, its because its an mpr, that is 'multi purpose'.
    That is, its not fully made for ánything specific. Not 100% for 10m either.
    Might have different stockfit/shape, trigger, balance etc,cause its not 100% made for 10m.
    It doesnt excell in anything, thats the 'problem'.
    If yr looking for a hobby mpr, than its a good go, if yr looking for 100% 10m rifle, I'd buy something else.
    I bought my walther LG300 new for E800. Thats the same price as the mpr costs here. And the walther ís 100% for 10m.
    ATB,
    yana

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    To be honest, I'd rather have a sech anschutz, FWB etc. Not cause the AA is inherently less accurate, no, its because its an mpr, that is 'multi purpose'.
    That is, its not fully made for ánything specific. Not 100% for 10m either.
    Might have different stockfit/shape, trigger, balance etc,cause its not 100% made for 10m.
    It doesnt excell in anything, thats the 'problem'.
    If yr looking for a hobby mpr, than its a good go, if yr looking for 100% 10m rifle, I'd buy something else.
    I bought my walther LG300 new for E800. Thats the same price as the mpr costs here. And the walther ís 100% for 10m.
    I beg to differ, what the MPR does excell in, says otherwise.

HFT - Worlds
    Benchrest euros and world cup.
    British nationals and world postals.
    20 yard standing rifle.
    Biathlon.

It probably hasn't amounted to much in 10 metre, as many entry level MPR shooters appear to accede to the hype and abandon them for the more fashionable 'labels'
    The AA400 platform is simple and as accurate as any other. I'm often amused by those who explore the merits of other marques and ultimately come full circle.
    There are loads of kids and adults in various airgun disciplines worldwide, using the very versatile MPR to good effect and outshooting the pedigree rifles consistently.
    It's made for shooting and is as accurate as the person pulling the trigger.
    An MPR is one gun does all and does it very successfully.
    With adjustment, it allows it's owner to participate in a variety of disciplines without resorting to acquiring an veritable arsenal in order to do so.

So saying .. I have three, each with a different use.

Gary.

I didnt say it wasnt accurate. I only said, that for the price of an AA MPR, I'd rather have a fullblown 10m rifle, like the Walther 300.

If yr competing in several disciplines with 1 rifle, an mpr is great.
    But for 10m ónly, my vote would go to another rifle.
    For once, the MPR at 3.15 k, is WAY too light for serious 10m work. Whereas the competition is 4-5k.
    Also, the MPR uses a bolt action, whereas the 10m guns use a flipup or something like that to cock. Which is much easier imo.
    I also wonder wether the mpr's trigger is in the same league as anschutz/fwb/walther. And dunno about the fine adjustability of the diopters of the MPR. Many cheaper matchguns use diopters with relatively large klicks.
    An anschutz has very fine clicks.
    Fill pressure of the walther is 300bars as well, LOTS of shots!
    The MPR still ís an AA 400 action, with a matchlike stock. Nothing more, nothing less.
    But feel free to disagree, thats what makes us human different!
    ATB,
    yana

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The original poster asked specifically about 10 mt, and whilst the MPR will be adequate and some people do shoot 10 mts with one reasonably well, it is simply not as good as the Anschutz/Walter/FWB 10mt rifles for 10 mt precision ISSF shooting. Yana is spot on, for the same money you can get a better rifle for the job. Why buy a converted sporter, when you can buy a rifle designed for the job for the same money.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    The original poster asked specifically about 10 mt, and whilst the MPR will be adequate and some people do shoot 10 mts with one reasonably well, it is simply not as good as the Anschutz/Walter/FWB 10mt rifles for 10 mt precision ISSF shooting. Yana is spot on, for the same money you can get a better rifle for the job. Why buy a converted sporter, when you can buy a rifle designed for the job for the same money.
    Robin
    I agree that the Anschutz/Walther/FWB rifles are better than the Air Arms MPR but then they should be - the can cost up to 5 times as much to buy depending on the exact model chosen.

Havent seen one that's 5 times as expensive.
    Thats 5x800=E4000 The mpr is a wood stocked standard rifle, so you cant compare it to a carbontech walther..Thats the wrong comparison.
    A normal woodstocked anschutz/walther or FWB is E800-1400.
    Anyway, the walther I bought, the LG300, is júst as good as any Anschutz or FWB AND just as expensive as the MPR. NOT 5x as expensive.
    And the club versions of the other brands are also not/ little more expensive.
    ATB,
    yana

Here in the UK the MPR costs around Ł500. The Feinwerkbau 700 Aluminium cost around Ł2500.

I did say the price depends on the model you choose. Even the 700 Basic is twice the price of the MPR and the 700 Universal is three times the price. Both are wooden stock versions. They are almost certainly much better rifles but are more expensive so they should be.

Here both the MPR and Walther 300 I have are around the E800 mark.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Here both the MPR and Walther 300 I have are around the E800 mark.
    blimey, that makes it worth while jumping on a plane to Rotterdam and going shopping