Thread: Front sight width - advantages of a narrower sight?

Front sight width - advantages of a narrower sight?

most of the (match) air pistols that i've seen come with 4mm to 4.5mm front-sights as standard.

I've heard that the argument to use sights wider than this are that they correspond more closely to the width of the 'black dot' on the target, thus making aiming easier. this makes sense.

but then some manufacturers (e.g. Steyr) make front sights down to 2.5mm in width, so i'm wondering whether there's some theoretical/technical reason why a very narrow front sight may be desirable (other than personal preference)?

conversely, would there be a significant disadvantage to using 'too narrow' front sights?

the distances i'm shooting are 10m and 20yrd, so i'd be most interested as to what your preferences for front sight widths would be on these distances would be?

any insights would be greatly appreciated

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    It all depends on what's available and personal choice, I like a gap either side of the foresight that's about 15% of the foresight width.

If you start talking about front width & rear gap you have to quote sight base too and then unless everyone has the same thing it's out with the tape measure, black marker, scissors and some paper to know what's being discussed
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

thanks for the response nick.

for argument's sake, i'm referring to the steyr air pistols here -sighting radius between 310 and 350mm, which i think is typical for 10m pistol

but similar variations are also available in other brand pistols too, so i don't think that the argument is fully model-specific.

i hope this helps to pin down the parameters a bit.

Narrow sight makes aiming more precise, you can 'pinpoint' better.
    Bút its far more nervous to aim as well..
    I dó like quite a bit of white between front and rear, otherwise, I start seeing them as one if my eyes get tired
    But the more white, the more nervous it is..
    ATB,
    yana

I think the idea of the wider sight is to give an area aim and allow you to concentrate on the trigger release, rather than trying to achieve the fleeting release of a point aim that the narrow sight gives you.

I tend to shoot with the 4.5mm front and quite a large rear sight gap of around 5mm. This is on my LP10 with the sight base on the minimum setting.

I do struggle with a narrow rear notch inside under the lower light levels. But I really should try with some shooting glasses and an iris to see if it helps.

HTH

Mark

I used to have a Twinmaster top, not sure what the width of the front sight was, must have been about 2.5mm ish, I then 'upgraded' to a Twinmaster Sport, now the front sight is 4.5mm which is a lot wider then the one I was used to. At the time I thought this extra width was going to useless and much less accurate. Well since I have been using it I have quite shocked at it actually, for me anyway, a lot more precise than the smaller one and a hell of a lot easer to use as well. So I don;t agree with anyone saying the smaller blade is more preside...

Just my 2p worth anyway....
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I find it easier to get a sharp sight picture with a wide forsight and a wide rearsight gap, I use 4.8 front and 5 rear on both my Steyrs. Whilst aiming you should concentrate on the foresight, and the sight picture against the blurr of the target aiming mark. A small foresite width and narrow rear can give a false picture similar to that caused by using a too small rifle foresight where the white gap seen is not target white but light refracted around the edges of the element.
    Good shooting,
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?