Thread: Alecto longer barrels

Alecto longer barrels

Available from:

http://muzzlemack.com/default.aspx

10.5"custom 2 Step Crowned Extended Target barrels in .177 & .22 Cal

for the Webley Alecto and Zoraki‏ HP-01 Pistols

Extended section is 7/16" OD and will fit Crossman 22xx barrel goodies

$40 + Shipping

Note: as with all customisation especially with Crosmans it is advisable to use a chronograph to ensure you pistol is still legal. Use the services of a gunsmith unless you have the skills required to cut down the barrel and recrown.
    Then you can have fun adding silencers, muzzlebreaks, etc

Cheers
    Ian
    Last edited by tayloriand; 01-09-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: crono' note added
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW

Is it really a good idea to be advertising a part which could turn an air pistol into a prohibited firearm?

Adding a longer barrel will increase pellet velocity with a pneumatic. The Alecto is already close to the limit. Not having a go, but it is exactly the sort of thing the anti's like to seize upon.

If I had an Alecto, I would be grateful to Tayloriand for posting that link. A slightly longer barrel won't increase power much (may not increase it at all actually) but would make fitting a moderator much easier. Buying airgun parts, including barrels from abroad is perfectly legal. Antis will never like what we do or view us in a positive light as their dislike of what we do is largely irrational, so what's the problem? I'm not advocating any illegal behaviour, anyone fitting custom parts to an airgun needs to ensure that they stay legal.

According to Webley the Alecto has a maximum muzzle energy of 5.8 ft/lbs meaning as little as an extra 10 fps with a 7.5 grain pellet is enough to put the pistol into the same category as a prohibited handgun.

Adding an extra 3.5 inches of barrel will increase muzzle velocity because the compressed air has more time to act upon the pellet (the physics are different for a spring-piston).

10 fps isn’t much to play with. Some owners will always be responsible with modifications, others won’t give a stuff and may even want a more powaful pistol.

With a Home Affairs select committee deciding the future of airgun legislation - including representation from the GCN who no doubt monitor this forum - now is the time for that little bit extra collective responsibility I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    According to Webley the Alecto has a maximum muzzle energy of 5.8 ft/lbs
    Whilst I agree absolutely with your line of argument as regards responsible behaviour, I'd be cautious about accepting Webley's claims for the Alecto as Gospel. I mention this because the most I can wring out of my .22 Alecto is 5.5 FPE. The margin is still narrow, I admit...

Has anyone actually tested these longer barrels yet to see if it does make any difference?

My .22 alecto with 3 pumps gives 4.9 - 5.2 ft/lb with 16 grain jsb's (25 tested with f1 chrony) I don't see that a slightly longer barrel would put it over 6ft/lb.

I know a few people who have added longer or shorter barrels to their guns and it's made little or no difference to their velocity, but every guns different I guess.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    According to Webley the Alecto has a maximum muzzle energy of 5.8 ft/lbs meaning as little as an extra 10 fps with a 7.5 grain pellet is enough to put the pistol into the same category as a prohibited handgun.

Adding an extra 3.5 inches of barrel will increase muzzle velocity because the compressed air has more time to act upon the pellet (the physics are different for a spring-piston).

10 fps isn’t much to play with. Some owners will always be responsible with modifications, others won’t give a stuff and may even want a more powaful pistol.

With a Home Affairs select committee deciding the future of airgun legislation - including representation from the GCN who no doubt monitor this forum - now is the time for that little bit extra collective responsibility I think.
    Wouldn't that be negated a bit by the fact that the pressure of the air will be lower in a longer barrel as the pellet reaches the muzzle end?

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    Wouldn't that be negated a bit by the fact that the pressure of the air will be lower in a longer barrel as the pellet reaches the muzzle end?
    Eventually, yes. There is a point where increasing barrel length swings the opposite way and causes a decrease in velocity.

It’s also a myth a longer barrel automatically means better accuracy. It doesn’t.

Further explanations here
    http://airgun-academy.pyramydair.com...barrel-length/
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/...important.html
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/...locity-in.html

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy
    My .22 alecto with 3 pumps gives 4.9 - 5.2 ft/lb
    I don't know if mine's typical, but it actually generates less power with 3 pumps than with 2. Three pumps gets me about 5.1 FPE, as compared to 5.5 FPE with two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I don't know if mine's typical, but it actually generates less power with 3 pumps than with 2. Three pumps gets me about 5.1 FPE, as compared to 5.5 FPE with two.
    Sounds like a fault to me - there is a release valve that will not allow overpressure, you can hear it hiss on the third pump - seems like yours releases too much.

You could try slowly and surely compressing the third stroke - the temptation is to slam it back because the resistance is greater with each stroke and maybe this causes the valve to react.
    Last edited by PaulR; 01-09-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Mine gives 5fpe with 2 pumps, and 5.2fpe with 3 pumps. That's why I never use 3 pumps....hardly worth it for all the extra effort!

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Sounds like a fault to me - there is a release valve that will not allow overpressure, you can hear it hiss on the third pump - seems like yours releases too much.

You could try slowly and surely compressing the third stroke - the temptation is to slam it back because the resistance is greater with each stroke and maybe this causes the valve to react.
    Agreed. The release valve definitely activates on the third pump, but it does so regardless of how quickly you close the top cover.

I'm not bothered by this. Most of my shooting is done with just the one pump anyway, and 5.5 FPE from just two is plenty extra for those times when I want to shoot a little further or knock down targets with a bit more inertia.

Well I have tried to contact this guy making the barrels and had no reply for a few days so looks like it's a poor show anyway.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Eventually, yes. There is a point where increasing barrel length swings the opposite way and causes a decrease in velocity.

It’s also a myth a longer barrel automatically means better accuracy. It doesn’t.

Further explanations here
    http://airgun-academy.pyramydair.com...barrel-length/
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/...important.html
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/...locity-in.html
    Gets ya a bit nearer the target, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    Well I have tried to contact this guy making the barrels and had no reply for a few days so looks like it's a poor show anyway.
    Most of these guys are custom hobby machinists who spend their spare time making great custom parts at great prices. Therefore they may not check emails for a few days and I received a reply after only a day or two. Muzzlemack has a good reputation on the Green and Yellow Forums in the States.
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW