Thread: Walther Luftpistole model 53

Walther Luftpistole model 53

I am new to this site and want to say hello and wish you all well. It seems this forum is the one to go to for information about airguns. I have an 8 year old and will be teaching him how to handle himself around guns, gun ranges, and hunting in a few years. He is a Cub Scout and part of their growth involves archery and marksmanship.

To accomplish this, I am getting two airguns; a rifle with adjustable sights and scope and a handgun with adjustable sights. I think it is important to know how to sight in a weapon; it will be part of his education in this matter. Since I am relatively new to airguns, I am not versed in the manufacturers who make them. Good, Bad, ugly, functional? What would you get? Why? I am thinking about getting a .22 cal, 800 fps, single shot in a rifle and .22 cal, 600 fps, multi-shot for a pistol. What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your input.

I look forward to the back and forth.

Regards,

George

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi George, and welcome to the BBS. Am going to move this thread to the General Airgun section, as feel you will get a better set of suggestions there . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I'm guessing you're in the U.S? Corinth (Vermont?).

I only ask because the velocities you mention would almost certainly require a firearms certificate for the rifle in the UK, and the pistol would be banned. Hence it has some bearing on what people will recommend as will availability in your locality.

ps. Welcome to the BBS

Which airguns to buy??

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    I'm guessing you're in the U.S? Corinth (Vermont?).

I only ask because the velocities you mention would almost certainly require a firearms certificate for the rifle in the UK, and the pistol would be banned. Hence it has some bearing on what people will recommend as will availability in your locality.

ps. Welcome to the BBS
    Yes, I am in the U.S. and in one of the most conservative states; Texas. It isn't much to have a permit to carry guns in this state. I don't imagine there is any law or permit needed for the control of airguns. I mention those velocities to give my son realism of an actual gun, and allow him to build the confidence to hit targets with repetition; build accuracy, skill, and distance. I feel those with lower velocities will lose their punch and trajectory when distance is factored in. In short, I am looking for something that will not break the bank and will not have to be replaced in short order. I don't want my son to outgrow it, rather, I want him to grow into it. In the meantime, I can use it too to reestablish an expert marksmanship skill that I had when I was in the US Army.

Thanks for the fast response and sentiment on arrival to this site.

Regards,

George.