Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sexiest looking classic (pre 1960) airgun

Sexiest looking classic (pre 1960) airgun

Hi All,

As the collectors 'Lounge' is a bit quiet at the moment I will ask the following question and invite people to submit their answers....

"What is the sexiest looking classic (pre 1960) Air Rifle or Pistol ever? And Why ?

For me it would have to be the BSA Cadet/Cadet Major. The smooth flowing shape is fab, the way the metalwork blends into the stock. The Tonka Toy build quality, and the fact that in 1946 it broke the mould and was totally different to what had gone before.....

Thats my idea, now how about yours

All the best

Lakey

edbear2 Guest
    Mmmmmm, that's one of my faves too. I suppose the Airsporter Mk 1 must be right up there for classic lines (and like the Cadets...it looks "right", and this initial feeling is confirmed by the actual balance and point-ability of these guns as you shoulder them)

From a "nuts and bolts" perspective...ie purposeful / engineering look .....Westley Richards "highest possible" with the heart cut out in pistol, Webley Service in rifle are high on my list, although I prefer BSA's as shooting tools.......The original Lincoln and pre 1914 underlevers are also very clean looking and uncluttered, although not to everyone's taste.

The Original/Diana mod 50 must be right up there as well, and the Webley Mk 111...

Crosman 600 - Techno tour de force of it's time and still able to match anything on the market today. It still has a shape and build quality that makes it very much a pistol of any generation!

Hmm. Tough one Andy. I think it would have to be this 1958-ish HW35E, for the following reasons:

It's an early enough example to have been hand-finished by a real craftsman whose main aim in life was to produce a quality product and who didn't have some git with a clipboard constantly checking up on whether he was meeting his weekly unit performance target.

It looks gorgeous and apart from the alloy Rekord trigger and bakelite buttplate and pistol grip cap is made entirely of walnut, steel and leather.

It has an all-steel diopter rear sight so finely crafted and finished that on its own it would cost as much to make today as a brand new HW100 rifle.

It handles and shoots superbly, especially considering it's over 60 years old.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

MK1 BSA meteor does it for me
    beautiful from every angle

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    For me it's got to be a pistol, and something older. This beauty is more than 100 years old and looks as sleek now as it did back then. Walnut stock, fluted grips, heavily nickelled furniture, everything hand made - what else could you want?
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...Pairpistol.jpg
    Last edited by ccdjg; 05-09-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: error

Depends what you mean by "sexy"...it would have to be the BSA Military Pattern for me..just something about those rugged lines that hits the spot...(no i'm not a bender ) nurse,more medicine..single malt style..

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Original model 50e very sleek rifle with lovely shaped stock, the later ones had a stock shaped like something used to stir a vat of jam.

Circa 1920's Jean Marck No2 factory special (2nd down from the top in this pic)...nothing else even comes close!
    blah blah

Interesting question Andy, especially when beauty can be in the eye of the beholder. Has to be a toss up between a cased BSA Improved Model D, with all the correct accessories and the Webley Service. I used to consider the BSA underlever as ugly but my opinion has mellowed over the years and I now think of the rifles as purposeful and businesslike with no unnecessary frills.

The Service has to be one of the sexiest air rifles of all time as it is undoubtedly a quality product and there are lots of features to play with such as the quick barrel release, bolt lever, safety (on early models), choice of iron or peepsight and its general resemblance to a service arm of the period.

Then again, the Cadet/Major is sleek and beautiful too. For looks alone, I don't think this break barrel has ever been beaten.

Oh hell, I just can't make up my mind and will just have to be polygamous on this one!

John

Collieman is offline Has a Parsnip shaped like an amusing "Thingy"
    Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Depends what you mean by "sexy"...it would have to be the BSA Military Pattern for me..just something about those rugged lines that hits the spot..
    Seconded, the way it was made to mimic a Lee Enfield just makes it winner (even if the bolt is a dummy)

Since I have started looking at vintage airguns, the Improved D ticks all of the boxes.

Luke

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Airsporter Mk. 1

"Black"

No contest (rifle) - Webley Service Mark 2.

They utilised the patent used for the Mark 1 pistol to great effect. It looks like a "real" firearm (check out that bolt) and fires with great accuracy.

To hold one and feel the balance as you raise it and it just sits in your shoulder as you choose which sight to use - the open sight or flick up the "peep" - is a true joy.

Want to change calibre? - press the button and slide out the .22 barrel - slot in the .177 or .25.

A work of art which has a practical use even to this day.

The Benjamin Model 600 Automatic?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    What is the sexiest looking classic (pre 1960) Air Rifle or Pistol ever? And Why ?
    Rifle-wise, the sexiest just has to be the Airsporter MkI with its three-piece, finger grooved, walnut stock, tapered barrel, and smooth shotgun-style sloped-back. Not only a handsome gun, but from an actual shooting perspective, is one of the better Airsporter models manufactured, too. As for sexiest pistol? Here, the Webley slant-grip, curly trigger Senior rules. It is just beautiful, and does exactly as it says on the tin. Good thread this.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 05-09-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: house keeping.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.