Thread: Local club and shooting times

Local club and shooting times

Hi y'all
    Looking for an FT or preferably HFT club near me (Alsager, south Cheshire) that shoots more than the lousy twice per month. Why is that?
    Been to Byley - great layout and people but only shoot once a fortnight. Also Fort at Wrexham and Chester have same restriction. How can we expect to do well if we are limited in this way.....any suggestions?

Mods might want to move this to General Airgun? The only club I know of that holds a Comp week in week out (Unless there is a National on) is Quarry in South Wales but if you have a look on shootingthebreeze.com you will see that you can do a Comp every weekend pretty much throughout the year if you are prepared to travel, Midland Hunter dates are being released this week as well so I'm told Also check out Tawd Vale & Rivington Riflemen both clubs are excellent (Not sure how often they are open though) and not to far north of you. Don't right off the Fort lads, there are some very good shots there considering they only practice once a month LOL
    Last edited by jagxkrs; 05-09-2010 at 07:29 PM.

The reason why many clubs only shoot twice a month is that many of them are based on agricultrual land and are thus restricted to 28 "events" a year.

To have more would mean planning permission and quite possibly an events licence.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    You could easily shoot 2 or 3 different courses a week if you don't mind a drive. Within an hour and a half there's lads of clubs - Tawd, Rivi, Oldham, rough Wedge, harriers, Harriers, Fort, Quarry, Tondu, Millride, Purley, The Greyhound, Far Coley, Anston, Worcester Air Rifles, Furnace Mill and probably a fair few I've missed.

The only way to shoot a proper course once a week for most of us, is to travel I'm afraid.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the government rules over just about everything these days. I could understand it if each meet was the size of a county show but for this it's overkill once again.
    Anyway, off to check the maps and see just where these clubs are and how much driving it's going to cost me!
    Thanks very much for your replies.

Quarnford

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbslane View Post
    Hi y'all
    Looking for an FT or preferably HFT club near me (Alsager, south Cheshire) that shoots more than the lousy twice per month. Why is that?
    Been to Byley - great layout and people but only shoot once a fortnight. Also Fort at Wrexham and Chester have same restriction. How can we expect to do well if we are limited in this way.....any suggestions?
    You could try Quarnford,where you can shoot all day for a fiver ,eats & drinks available on site with proper toilets.Great bunch shoot there.Check out directions in FT chat on this site for list of shoot dates.From Sandbach it takes me 3/4 hr.
    Hope to see you there matey.
    Regards Peter
    Last edited by peter b; 07-09-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jagxkrs View Post
    Also check out Tawd Vale & Rivington Riflemen both clubs are excellent (Not sure how often they are open though) and not to far north of you. Don't right off the Fort lads, there are some very good shots there considering they only practice once a month LOL
    Rivington Riflemen meet 3 times per week - Weds and Thurs nights indoors, (outdoors during the summer months ) and Sunday outdoors and indoors.
    Your right about the Fort lads.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Or you could move to the Highlands & join a club like 'Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol club' and use their Range almost any time it suits you!

'
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!