Thread: Question ref MOA groups at optimum ranges.

Question ref MOA groups at optimum ranges.

I'm trying to get some sort of comparison (purely for my own amusement) with fullbore and air rifle accuracy (or more correctly difficulty) at their optimum ranges. The only way I can think of making a worthwhile comparison is by looking at what is considered good group for a selection of fullbore rounds at different ranges in terms of MOA.

For example I can shoot a sub MOA 5 shot group at 25yds with my .177 MK4 (conditions permitting!) and 1.5 MOA at 50yds (I'm sure the AA shooters could do better)

So what sort of MOA groups could a good fullbore shooter expect? My days of shooting 7.62 & .303 were rather restricted to figure 11 & 12 rather than grouping so I'm not really up to speed!

Cheers.

I believe the V-bull is usually about 1 moa for standard target shooting (diopter sights) & smaller for PR. (3.3" at 300 yards)

Not too many people can keep all their shots in the V-bull though (me included) Supported & with optics it's a different story of course.

A GOOD fullbore shooter should keep the majority of his shots within the Bull area so I'd say around 1.5 moa or better.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

At 25 yards i would not be expecting to see an enlarged .177 size hole, come to think of it have seen that at 55 and 60 yards repeatedly 18 years ago.
    This is mostly down to the unweighed and unsized pellets, they dont make em like they used to.

Thanks guys, that gives me some idea.

the loud bangy boys are generally staggered as to what a good airgun will do with the right ammo and person behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    the loud bangy boys are generally staggered as to what a good airgun will do with the right ammo and person behind it.
    Never been staggered yet But I do find them a good training aid to real shooting.
    Last edited by DedIdick; 08-09-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Back in the "good ole days" we use to shoot 300 mt free rifle, and I found the limitation was ammunition and its match to the rifle. Our best groups were shot with hand loads or top grade ammunition such as Lapua, both easily capable of half minute or less, sadly the shooter generaly was'nt.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    sadly the shooter generaly was'nt.
    Sounds like me does that