Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Target Air Rifle from Germany

Buying a Target Air Rifle from Germany

Following on from my Air Aims S400 MPR air rifle thread RobinC suggested looking at some German websites where the prices are quite a bit lower than in the UK.

Has anyone purchased an air weapon from a website in German?

If so how did you get on and what did they charge for carriage to the UK.

Thanks, Dave R

Never an air weapon but I have had two rifle barrels; carriage was reasonable, I seem to remember getting hit for VAT but not import duty. I'd have to try & track down my invoices to verify actual costs but I wouldn't let that put you off buying from there.
    As long as you're legal should be no/few issues.
    Should you actually need an import licence (don't think you do with EU), they are normally not a problem either.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Following on from my Air Aims S400 MPR air rifle thread RobinC suggested looking at some German websites where the prices are quite a bit lower than in the UK.

Has anyone purchased an air weapon from a website in German?

If so how did you get on and what did they charge for carriage to the UK.

Thanks, Dave R
    Carriage should cost around 22 euros for DPD the German Parcelforce equivalent to deliver to the UK inc insurance. DPD owns DHL and either they or Parcelforce will to the UK leg. Send money from your bank using IBAN direct into the sellers bank account. Cost about £10 depending on your bank. For cash sums up to £100 send airmail with insurance if the seller has a good reputation. PM me if you want more info. There's no customs duties at all because of the single market, free movement of goods within Europe etc. Obviously I'm talking UK legal airguns here, not firearms.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

If you are buying from Germany or any other EU country then there will be no VAT to pay, shouldn't really be any import duty either, as we are all one great big common market, well I thought that that was the idea!

Alan
    "If you have a rifle, and you line up back-sight, fore-sight and Frenchman, pull the trigger, the world is suddenly a better place." Bernard Cornwell, in conversation with Mark Urban.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Hi Dave
    I answered on the other thread how I did it. For air weapons covered by the EU power regs (ie stamped with an F inside a pentagon) which is all target guns, it is perfectly legal within the EU with no face to face requirement, that British face to face requirement does not apply to EU to Britain transactions. Other than slight language issues but even then most will answer at least emails in English and most speak English or have an English speaker. It is no more complex than to buy mail order from Britain before our silly law. No duty, no Vat.
    Warranty's I can't answer, but in Britain you would have to return to the seller anyway, I would presume it will be at worst just the same .
    Carriage, look on their sites, Schiesssport Buinger has a good one with a translate function.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    If you are buying from Germany or any other EU country then there will be no VAT to pay, shouldn't really be any import duty either, as we are all one great big common market, well I thought that that was the idea!

Alan
    Thats incorrect I'm afraid, you will have to pay the German VAT at 19%. There will be no import duty, as the goods are an intra-community supply, but definitely VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Hi Dave
    I answered on the other thread how I did it. For air weapons covered by the EU power regs (ie stamped with an F inside a pentagon) which is all target guns, it is perfectly legal within the EU with no face to face requirement, that British face to face requirement does not apply to EU to Britain transactions. Other than slight language issues but even then most will answer at least emails in English and most speak English or have an English speaker. It is no more complex than to buy mail order from Britain before our silly law. No duty, no Vat.
    Warranty's I can't answer, but in Britain you would have to return to the seller anyway, I would presume it will be at worst just the same .
    Carriage, look on their sites, Schiesssport Buinger has a good one with a translate function.
    Robin
    VAT will have been included in the price you paid, although this may not be seperately displayed on the invoice you received. Same as buying a gun in the UK. The VAT element is already added.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Thats incorrect I'm afraid, you will have to pay the German VAT at 19%. There will be no import duty, as the goods are an intra-community supply, but definitely VAT.
    Yes Correct, but they are tax paid which means there is no Vat to pay entering Britain, and they are still cheaper than in the UK including the higher European tax rate.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Yes Correct, but they are tax paid which means there is no Vat to pay entering Britain, and they are still cheaper than in the UK including the higher European tax rate.
    Robin
    No extra VAT, but just trying to be clear, the VAT is already paid. There will, of course, be no import duty.

They will usually be cheaper in Germany as thats where the majority are made. Buying in Germany cuts out a UK wholesaler /distributor

Cheaper in Germany

Certainly are, I am looking at doing exactly this and best price I have been quoted in the UK is 1999 pounds, whilst Germany, 1799 Euros, which even with carriage and insurance makes for a nice saving.

Quote Originally Posted by jpayne View Post
    Certainly are, I am looking at doing exactly this and best price I have been quoted in the UK is 1999 pounds, whilst Germany, 1799 Euros, which even with carriage and insurance makes for a nice saving.
    What are you buying? Might be able to help. Not every retailer in the UK is out to sink the arm in you up to the shoulder

PM me if you'd like a quote, can source almost anything.

I'm sure the original poster won't mind me commenting that we have been able to quote £1650 for this rifle, £350 less than the nearest UK competitor.

Considering we're making a profit at £1650, it highlights the fact that some retailers in the UK are either making too much margin, or being tied by their supplier/wholesaler taking too much margin.

Either way, if you shop around you can match the deals on mainland Europe.

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I'm sure the original poster won't mind me commenting that we have been able to quote £1650 for this rifle, £350 less than the nearest UK competitor.

Considering we're making a profit at £1650, it highlights the fact that some retailers in the UK are either making too much margin, or being tied by their supplier/wholesaler taking too much margin.

Either way, if you shop around you can match the deals on mainland Europe.
    So how would that work seeing as you're in N. Ireland?

I assume you're an RFD so can you send rifles to Scotland, England and Wales but only to another RFD for collection?
    Last edited by chris u'5; 07-09-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

What type of rifle are we talking about.

I have prices from at least three UK dealers and two German dealers for quite a few different rifles and pistols and it would be interesting to compare.

Also as you are in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK I assume you would have to send any air weapon to another RFD for us to purchase face-to-face and this could well include a charge by the local RFD.

Quote Originally Posted by chris u'5 View Post
    So how would that work seeing as you're in N. Ireland?

I assume you're an RFD so can you send rifles to Scotland, England and Wales but only to another RFD for collection?
    Yes, that bits simple. everyone has a local RFD, so its just a matter of arranging. Some might charge a nominal fee for the service, others don't if you buy pellets etc from them already. They only have to enter it in their book and then pass on to the customer. 5 mins work for them.