Thread: RWS Diana 52 & 54

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

RWS Diana 52 & 54

Gents,

I am toying with the idea of looking for a decent example of the RWS 52 or 54 (or possibly even the 48 but I've not seen or heard of them since they were advertised new with that black stock) as I've always fancied a nice side lever.

I know that the major difference between them is that the 54 is semi-recoilless but what others are there? Is there anything in particular to watch out for (with either model) or are they as bomb proof as HW's if looked after? I have heard that the trigger is not so great; can this be fettled at all? And is it single or two stage? Also, what sort of prices do they go for?

Any views of those with experience using these rifles would be appreciated.

I've put this thread in collectibles as I figured I'd get the best advice here but Gareth, if you feel it's more appropriate for the general airgun section please feel free to shift it.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Mate

These are great power houses and i truly reccommend them.
    I have both in .177
    For some people they can be a bit heavy to lug about in the field but
    they are a super smooth full power hunter and i have no problems with the trigger.
    But if you can get one go for the 54 Airking in .177

Atb

Hooker

Thanks Hooker, the 54 will be my first choice if I can find a decent one. The weight doesn't bother me, I already shoot an FAC'd HW80k as my hunting air rifle and prefer the stability the weight brings. Most of my shots are from a supported seated or prone position anyway.

I'm not in a massive rush though, just wanted some info before looking properly in the next month or so.

ATB
    Paul
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

It's worth getting one, they're smashing (but heavy!!) rifles

Here's mine..

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

info

You may find this thread interesting ? I did

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...ighlight=Diana

got a couple myself.
    Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    You may find this thread interesting ? I did

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...ighlight=Diana

got a couple myself.
    Thank you for that, very interesting.

It is good to see there are tuning options out there for these rifles and I was also surprised to see the 54 can be FAC'd to a decent power too; I knew the 52 could but had thought the SR action of the 54 might restrict it power wise.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

i had a go of someones 54 air king at the weekend.

Funny thing is he was thinking about selling it if i remember right, shot just like a TX200 SR, very impressive.

I bought an original 52 recently. After a service with new seals etc it shoots great! Some people suggested to me these can easily go over the 12ftlbs limit if your not carefull fitting a transfer port restrictor (part 19a) it shoots a steady 11.5ftlbs The only real downside for me is the weight as mentioned.

Review

Last edited by Morningstar; 07-09-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: link
    Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Diana

I Have a Diana 52 .22 flavour with a Vmach kit fitted,runs sweet 11ft/lb with
    RWS Superdomes.
    Agreed it is a little heavy,but don't let that put you off.
    The trigger is not as good as some rifles,but there is a mod that can be done.
    http://www.eddiecolwell.tzo.com/RWS-54.htm
    I have done just that but yet to test the rifle.
    Anyone who uses my rifle at the club always hands it back with a grin on their face,some I have to ask for it back
    atvb Sidelever
    Diana 52 .22 short stroked
    AA S410.177+Hawke Vantage
    Think outside...no box required

Diana 52 or 54 are great guns, Paul, but I'd look for a secondhand .22 model with the T 01 trigger unit (made upto ~2001), & the 48 stock is just too bland IMO. The T 01 unit is more adjustable than the later T 05 (the latest T 06 is just coming to market) & .22 is said to be smoother in firing than .177.

My 20 year old 52 Firebird is accurate as heck & functioning flawlessly & I soon got used to the safe cocking procedure (the Anti-Beartrap mech is extremely sturdy).

They are big guns though & comparatively heavy - for some reason the build quality & stock design makes me think of the word...'DREADNOUGHT'

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...J/img_0223.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...J/img_0220.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnstone View Post
    Diana 52 or 54 are great guns, Paul, but I'd look for a secondhand .22 model with the T 01 trigger unit (made upto ~2001), & the 48 stock is just too bland IMO. The T 01 unit is more adjustable than the later T 05 (the latest T 06 is just coming to market) & .22 is said to be smoother in firing than .177.

My 20 year old 52 Firebird is accurate as heck & functioning flawlessly & I soon got used to the safe cocking procedure (the Anti-Beartrap mech is extremely sturdy).

They are big guns though & comparatively heavy - for some reason the build quality & stock design makes me think of the word...'DREADNOUGHT'

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...J/img_0223.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...J/img_0220.jpg
    Thanks Ian, I was looking at getting a .177 for the flatter trajectory but .22 may be an option. There is a 54 nearby in that flavour which I'll probably try to arrange to have a look at, the option is there to have it put on ticket too.

They are a bit like the Dreadnought of airguns aren't they? I do like solid air rifles.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

A couple of pointers to look for Paul,

¹. the date of manufacture will be in 'MM YY' format but really tiny just above the stockline, (on the action) above the trigger.
    ². T 01 trigger has two adjusting bolts ahead of the blade, T 05 has one.

They were designed as 'magnum springers' so should take well to FAC springs etc, I think they max out around 21-22FPE in .22.

Old thread but one has come up for sale near me, a 52 that is, he has quite a few rifles for sale....