Thread: Air rifle or air gun?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Air rifle or air gun?

This is probably an old chestnut, but what do we collectors in general think about the common tendency to call any long gun designed to be fired from the shoulder a "rifle", irrespective of it having a rifled or smoothbore barrel?

I know that the strict definition requires a rifle to have a rifled barrel, but the only alternative we have for a shoulder-fired smoothbore gun is 'long gun', which is not ideal as it also conjures up visions of canons, howitzers etc. This not such an issue with modern air guns, where rifling is the norm, so 'air rifle' will almost always be correct to the purist, but it is not so comfortable with older air guns, where the vast majority are going to be smoothbores. Should we be purists and insist on calling these antiques "air long guns", or should we stick to the more familiar but inaccurate term 'air rifle'?

Air Gun is fine, it's not a pistol. Long gun is fine too. Air Rifle should have rifling.
    Is all a hobby so relax.

I get annoyed when they are called air weapons. It's only a weapon if intended to be used for violent acts, or done violent acts. No one calls a table leg a weapon, though they can be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Air Gun is fine, it's not a pistol. Long gun is fine too. Air Rifle should have rifling.
    Is all a hobby so relax.

I get annoyed when they are called air weapons. It's only a weapon if intended to be used for violent acts, or done violent acts. No one calls a table leg a weapon, though they can be one.
    I hadn't even thought of this before, I would call any long gun a rifle whether it's barrel is rifled or not. Excellent point.

There's been a recent thread on another forum about airguns being weapons which got quite involved (I should have contributed but I didn't).
    My opinion is similar to yours and whilst in law they considered "air weapons", my view of a weapon is something that is designed to kill or injure another person and I can't say that an airgun is, though it can be used as one. I would also say a hunting rifle isn't a weapon as it's specifically designed to hunt quarry whereas an AK47 is designed to be used in armed conflict so that is a weapon.
    I think a lot of things can be used as weapons even though they're designed for something else.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 16-04-2023 at 04:51 PM.

FWIW, my feeling is that it's now obsolete to draw a distinction between rifles and smoothbored long guns. All shoulder-mounted long guns are rifles and if you need to talk about the bore, you could add 'rifled' or 'smoothbore'.

This is the common understanding and we should be happy simply with pistols and rifles to describe the outward appearance. Plus carbine and long-barrelled pistol perhaps if you want to be more precise.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    FWIW, my feeling is that it's now obsolete to draw a distinction between rifles and smoothbored long guns. All shoulder-mounted long guns are rifles and if you need to talk about the bore, you could add 'rifled' or 'smoothbore'.

This is the common understanding and we should be happy simply with pistols and rifles to describe the outward appearance. Plus carbine and long-barrelled pistol perhaps if you want to be more precise.
    That makes sense.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Is all a hobby so relax.
    I agree,
    and I think it's worth making a distinction if it's something informative.
    In my recent Bellows gun video I made a point of calling it an Air Gun and not an Air rifle, and in future video's about Hebelpanners etc I'll also call them Airguns.
    I suppose it helps if the description is accompanying an image so people can see it's a 'Long gun'

Smoothbore Air rifle to me sounds like a bit of an oxymoron.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

Yes. This seems a sensible way of using terminology.

I don’t remember the context now but someone took me to task on here a few years ago for use of the word ‘weapon’. I try to say exactly what I mean but there aren’t a great number of alternatives and it is sloppy writing to use the same expression repeatedly. I considered myself vindicated when I dipped into ‘ Gas, Air and Spring guns of the World ‘ to find Mr. Smith used that very word in the introduction.

‘ Rifle’ is possibly imprecise.
    ‘ Firearm ‘ is even further from the truth.
    ‘ Long gun ‘ seems clumsy.
    ‘ Airgun ‘ is adequate but, to me, has connotations of Diana Model 1s.

So, where does that leave us? IMD may be assumed ( on here, at least ) to stand for Improved Model D and Mk II Service for Webley’s finest but anything else needs to be a specific.

Where’s Suzy Dent when I need her?
    ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    This is probably an old chestnut, but what do we collectors in general think about the common tendency to call any long gun designed to be fired from the shoulder a "rifle", irrespective of it having a rifled or smoothbore barrel?

I know that the strict definition requires a rifle to have a rifled barrel, but the only alternative we have for a shoulder-fired smoothbore gun is 'long gun', which is not ideal as it also conjures up visions of canons, howitzers etc. This not such an issue with modern air guns, where rifling is the norm, so 'air rifle' will almost always be correct to the purist, but it is not so comfortable with older air guns, where the vast majority are going to be smoothbores. Should we be purists and insist on calling these antiques "air long guns", or should we stick to the more familiar but inaccurate term 'air rifle'?

Interesting question to ponder. Technically an air rifle has a rifled barrel & if you are having a technical discussion then the correct terminology needs to be used to give an accurate reflection of the subject. Pretty much as in any technical discussion where conveying accurate information is required. However in a general discussion I think the term air rifle can be used to refer to a long barrel two handed shouldered model be it rifled or smoothbore. The exact status & nature of yhe barrel can be clarified as required. Air rifle is a quick easy term to use as opposed to 'long barrelled shoulder supported gun'. It's almost a form of verbal shorthand, maybe it reflects the way language adapts over time. 'Ta' for thanks, 'Hoover' when we refer to vacuum cleaner, 'Tanoy' when we speak about the public address systems, all commonly used, & perhaps generally accepted terms. Air rifle might not always be technically correct, maybe misleading on occasions unless clarified but in general I tend to use it & therefore would find it difficult to object to others using it. I might ask for clarification to be sure, but that's ok.
    One thing that crossed my mind though is the term 'air pistol' that's generally accepted & gives no indication if it's rifled or smoothbore. It seems as if it can be used without the same question being asked. The status of the barrel being described separately if required;maybe we need a new word for a shouldered arm that is equally non specific as pistol is with regard to the status of the barrel being rifled or smoothbored.

Just realised something else, while pondering this & replying my tea has gone cold......too easily distracted

Edit. As an addendum: I was once told all rifles are guns but not all guns are rifles. I suppose thats true; an air gun could be a pistol, a long barreled two handed shouldered thingemybob or some sort of carriage mounted pneumatic field piece. So it seems to me to be accurate in our description one has to be very specific with the terminology, but perhaps when a less detailed or less accurate description will suffice the terminology is far less critical, which might possibly be the majority of cases.
    Last edited by trajectory; 17-04-2023 at 11:58 AM.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post

To me it will always be a air rifle. others wise l would be getting into the politically correct nonsense. lol

What is the problem with Airgun?

Air Rifle should have a rifled barrel.
    Airgun can have either. Air Musket, smoothbore, was never used, but Airgun was. A Shotgun is smoothbore, it's not called a Shot Rifle.

Calling all barrel types Air rifles is a bit lazy, if its pretty obvious if there is no rifling or there is. Again Airgun is fine for both though modern guns generally are rifled so call them Air Rifle.

A Hunting Rifle is for hunting, a Target Rifle for Target shooting. An Assault Rifle is a weapon just like a sword or dagger's primary use is a weapon.
    A Baseball bat is only a weapon if used as one. Drive a car at someone with intent to harm then it's a weapon.

The term Hunting weapons, or Target weapons, are used by anti hunters or people who just don't like guns. I find it quite objectionable as my hunting and target guns I have no intent to ever be used as weapons. Same goes for my Kitchen knives, or penknife in my pocket.
    Last edited by Muskett; 17-04-2023 at 11:24 AM.