Thread: Webley Hurricane + Tempest... .77 or .22 ?

Webley Hurricane + Tempest... .77 or .22 ?

Hi,

I am looking to purchase either Webley Tempest or Hurricane.

I ahve seen more favourable comments regarding the .177 versions but are the .22's that bad ?

What is the main differences between each caliber ?

Thanks,

Mars

There is NOTHING at all wrong with the 0.22 version. Personal view is that it has a bit more of a "kick" but then that is often what people like.

You do of course get into the debate about 5.5mm or 5.6mm bore and, if you have the latter as I do, then there is more debate about sourcing an appropriate pellet

I suppose more than anything the selection of bore depends on your intended use of the pistol. If it is mainly target work then 0.177 is probably better because the pellet trajectory will be flatter over a typical target range. If the intended use majors on tin can plinking and maybe some ratting then in my view the 0.22 will be more rewarding

Tony

Nothing wrong...except it is a .22 330fps compared to the .177 at 420fps.
    I have usual solution, one of each.
    More important to buy a good one than calibre IMO.

You shouldn't try to kill anything with the .22 and the .177 is not exactly an efficient target pistol.

HOWEVER - they are both great FUN as plinkers and fun target pistols. The last of the original Webley and Scott overlever designs they are well worth having.
    Get a Typhoon as well- after all that's only six pistols if you go for one of each calibre!!!

Seriously I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Nothing wrong...except it is a .22 330fps compared to the .177 at 420fps.
    I have usual solution, one of each.
    More important to buy a good one than calibre IMO.
    Sorry for the newbie questions.

What are the tell tale signs of a bad one?

If you find yourself with a bad one, can they be economically refurbished?

F.

Quote Originally Posted by Occulomency View Post
    Sorry for the newbie questions.

What are the tell tale signs of a bad one?

If you find yourself with a bad one, can they be economically refurbished?

F.
    There is no such thing as a bad one unless its been abused as long as it looks ok not to old and crabby. if the power is down a bit just take it appart and give it a good clean if you like you can replace the spring and the white plastic thing on the plunger and most important no greas or oil but lots of black molly paist. I love my old .22 premier and with lots of practice you can get 10p groopings at 6m I have never got on so well with the .177 version but lots of folk swear by them.

Occu. These pistols have plastic parts unlike early Webleys. Plastic body parts can split and crack especially when they are dismantled. So look for this.
    Bent barrels, missing breech seal, barrels that move when shut,dents in the crown of the barrel are common.
    The gun should cock smoothly with reasonable effort. Too much often means silly over power spring fitted or other problems. Too little means worn out.
    They can be sorted and parts are available, but bashing out the pins can crack plastic as above.
    You will know a good one when you see it.

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice.

I have completed a deal with Mercat for his .22 Hurricane here :

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...ight=hurricane

To me it looks good and is in good condition for its age

Could anyone tell me if this is likely to be 5.5mm or 5.6mm ?

Also I would like to get a Red Dot sight for it - does anyone have any advice regarding this ? Can I just get any red dot and mount it the sight rail or would I need to look out for anything specific ?

I will also see if I can scrounge my dads .22 Premier and get it working again

Mars

I'm open to correction, but I thought all .22 Tempests and Hurricanes are 5.6mm.

Certainly the two I have owned have been. Unlike with some 5.6mm rifles it doesn't seem to be a problem with 5.5mm pellets though. Mine loves RWS Hobby and they really seem to suit the pistol. Being so light they give a decent velocity - about 360fps in mine and they'll group around half an inch at 6 yards if I really concentrate.

I've not owned a Hurricane but I think the scope rail is a standard 11mm one and you should therefore have no problems finding a red dot to fit.

Occu. These pistols have plastic parts unlike early Webleys. Plastic body parts can split and crack especially when they are dismantled. So look for this.
    Bent barrels, missing breech seal, barrels that move when shut,dents in the crown of the barrel are common.
    The gun should cock smoothly with reasonable effort. Too much often means silly over power spring fitted or other problems. Too little means worn out.
    They can be sorted and parts are available, but bashing out the pins can crack plastic as above.
    You will know a good one when you see it.
    Thanks for your advice.

I think I am leaning towards trying to source an old Webley Hurricane or Typhoon rather than bothering with the Centenary Typhoon. Does anyone have an opinion on a Hurricane over a Typhoon?

f.

Me again. They are the same gun really. The Typhoon has brown smaller grips and wasnt made for long so is rarer.

Quote Originally Posted by Occulomency View Post
    Thanks for your advice.

I think I am leaning towards trying to source an old Webley Hurricane or Typhoon rather than bothering with the Centenary Typhoon. Does anyone have an opinion on a Hurricane over a Typhoon?

f.
    I'm guessing you mean Hurricane Vs Tempest (as the cantenary pistol is/will be a Tempest.)

They are both mechanically the same but the Hurricane has better sights and the facility to mount a scope - however personally I prefer the Tempest purely as it's a less clunky looking beastie!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Me again. They are the same gun really. The Typhoon has brown smaller grips and wasnt made for long so is rarer.
    Also had a significantly weaker mainspring showing 50~60 fps less as originally intended for juniors & ladies hence the smaller grip

I have found after around 30 years of using them (and other earlier variants) that the .177 is quite superior in this gun.
    While i prefer .22 at 12ftlbs and easier handling in my rifles, in the Tempest and other variants the .177 is about twice as accurate both in vertical string and width. The various models do give very marginal more ftlbs in the .22 but hardly worth worrying about.