Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from a miserable Sherwood Forest

Hi from a miserable Sherwood Forest

Hi all, just thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself.

I'm early 40s, live just outside Sherwood Forest, Nottingham. Decided to take up shooting as a hobby with my brother and we've scoped (pardon the pun) a local club we plan to join once were kitted up. My brother was a club member many years ago so has more of a background than me.

I need some help and advice regarding rifles for target / field target shooting and as a victim of the recession, cash is suddenly king! but any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks to the site owner(s) and moderators for all their efforts - I've run forums myself in years gone by and know just how much effort they can take.

All the best,
    S

timmaaah is offline I'm starting to like my arse!
    Hello and welcome

welcome mate

It’s a friendly place with a slippery slope Spike so welcome & enjoy the stay …………..

Welcome and happy plinking

thanks for the welcome guy's
    how 24 hours can screw your head up!
    yesterday I was decided on a good quality springer, and today it's an S400!

what's with all the choices and options and varaition in rifles.... I'll soon decided I need both and be off selling my soul for a tin of pellets....

I really need some help...

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Why miserable? And here's us Americans, believing that the men of Sherwood Forest are all merrie. Except for your sheriff, of course!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Well Jim, there's a sky full of cloud, it's dark and drizzly our government are a band of two faced robbers and the riches of the country have been spent amongst the evil bankers.

Our Sheriff (and we still have one!) is nowhere to be seen.

The men have had their pubs shut due to recession and I've not seen anything around here as attractive as Marion in some years!

Apart from that, we keep our heads high and can always find a deep fat Fryer if we need to cheer ourselves up.

Hope things are good with you my friend?

Steve

Ah, a mixed bag here Steve, but such is life. I retired in December, and retirement surely hasn't been what I expected.

No, I'm not sitting around bored, wishing I were back at work. But by the time I got my pension straightened out, I developed any eye abrasion and infection, and by the time I healed from that, my wife developed cancer, and while she was healing from the surgery and about to commence on radiation therapy, she developed a blood clot and died.

Now I'm going through the mess attendant any death.

But still...New Orleans is a great place, the sun is shining (at the moment), I have my pets and my airguns and my BBS friends, I don't have to go back to that hellhole of a job I retired from, and I'm working with my wife's college library (she was Chair of the English department) to built a library collection in her memory. So, I guess we must be grateful for what we have.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Spike67 View Post

Our Sheriff (and we still have one!) is nowhere to be seen.

Steve
    You would think that being Sheriff of Nottingham would be a job for someone who loves attention and can put up with a lot of kidding!

Jim

Jim, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss my friend.. my deepest sympathy is with you.. I'm sure your wife would be very proud indeed - what a lovely jesture.

I suffered an eye abrasion / infection a couple of years ago! Sounds kinda, take anti-biotics and off you go - all will be fine in a fortnight - BUT man it's one of the most physically painful expereinces I ever had - dont know about you?

Surgeon said if I hadn't seen someone when I did it could of cost me an eye nearly fell off my stool! - I only went in because I thought I had something in my eye! but after dilation treatment and various potions and drops, all is recovered now - I use a daily contact lens again and am back to 20/20 (ish)... I hope you are recovered...

I'm grateful every single day for my sight after that experience... and I totally agree with you, we certainly do have to be grateful for what we have.

You know! regards the role of Sheriff - that sounds like a job I could do!

All the best Jim, hope to see you around the forum.

Steve

Hi Spike,

Just a quick heads up, was over in nottingham this week
    at Drapers Airguns.

If you not already would recommend you take a look, staff
    great.

Cheers Chris

Thanks fulloffish, I did plan to go to be honest - but decided against it after reading some reviews and feedback. It's quite a journey for me and I just wanted to check buyer expereinces before I went over.

I was shocked to read what I did , and don't usually rely on others. I prefer to make up my own mind regardless, but it was quite clear that bargains weren't to be had and pre & post sale (trying to be poilte) could be questionable at times .

I guess feedback threads do make a difference to trade after all! I didn't think they really would but in this case it's held me back so far .

To be fair general customer service was praised too, but I need advice I can rely on at the moment so any doubt over equipment advice and post sale service makes me a bit sceptical.

I feel a little guilty for not visitng to be totally honest, I've not given them the benefit of the doubt - but when my budget is tight and I'm trying hard not to make a mistake, last thing I want is to come home with unsuitable hardware.

How do we know if we're getting good advice any other way? I guess all folks new to air rifle shooting are in a similar position unless they have a trusted established shooter alongside.

That's what we need a 'personal shopper service' to hold our hand and ensure we make good buying decisons. If the girls can have the service for shoes I'm damn sure we can justify it for rifles

Hi and welcome to the forum (madhouse)

As for kit. Please vist the club you intend to shoot with BEFORE you buy your kit. Most clubs can rent / loan you a rifle for your first few visits while you talk to other members and work out what rifle and scope combination is best for you.

Good luck,
    Matt
    My Club: http://www.wendoverarc.co.uk
    Rifles: Air Arms S400 - Air Arms TX200HC - Webley MkII Service Rifle - BSA Imp Model D
    Pistols: Webley Seniors - Webley Juniors - Beretta 92FS - Cobra Crossbow

welcome to the Forum from sunny chesterfield, my sister lives in Mansfield Notts & I have to admit there are a lot of Busty Maidens there, in fact I think there must be something in the water as a lot of the women over there seem to have large busts, not that I have been looking
    Handling & shooting a few guns before making your decision would be best, as depending on weight etc it can make a world of difference when shooting, i found that out the hard way & like a medium weight rifle myself.