Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I make idiots look good......

To remove cut each leg so the display comes away, then remove each leg with the soldering iron and tweezers or pliers.

Get some solder wick/braid to clean the holes, if necessary phone RS and see if you can add it to your order before they send it.

Don't drill the holes, quite likely they will be through plated. Solder wick works great.
    Not sent from an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by cr4zy3y3s View Post
    i hope i dont do the same lol.. hope you get a replacement and maybe next time dont load your weapon of test until you are in place to test lol... quiet fortunate that you didnt shoot something else other than your screen

atvb

max...
    Not quite sure where you are coming from there max.

I was in my private indoor range (ok, ok it is my garage). I had it all set up, weapon loaded, door closed, backstop adequate and chrony on a tripod. The only other "something else" I could have damaged was myself.

Please let me know what I should do differently next time.

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Don't shoot your chrono!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Quote Originally Posted by paul4be View Post
    Don't shoot your chrono!!!!!!!!!!!
    A fair point and one which I will not attempt to argue against.

I am back from Maplins - desoldering wire is great.

I've cut off the broken display and will remove the "legs" tomorrow. I did an experiment with an old PCB (computer) using the desolder and it worked a treat. Being thick I first of all held the iron against the soldered joint and then tried to introduce the wire - thought "It doesn't bloody work!". Then realised that you lay the wire along the line of joints and apply the hot iron to the top surface - thus combining a heat sink and solder remover in one. At least this time I had the sense to experiment on a scrap board before going for the real thing. I also bought some micro drills which I will only use as a last resort (see above) - God I am taking this seriously - so that the new screen should fit ok.

Had a couple of glasses of wine with lunch - so probably best to wait before attempting the serious stuff on the chrony. The new screen (bought 2 as suggested) should arrive from RS on Tuesday - by which time it should all be clean and ready to fit.

Once again - thanks for the info - it has been invaluable thus far.

I am back from Maplins . . . I've cut off the broken display . . . . Being thick I first of all held the iron against the soldered joint and then tried to introduce the wire - thought "It doesn't bloody work!". . . . . I also bought some micro drills . . . . Had a couple of glasses of wine with lunch . . . .
    This should be good <pulls up deckchair>
    Work as if no-one is watching you. Love like you don't need the money and Dance as if you've never been hurt.
    AA400 Classic - HW100TK - TX200HC - HW97K - Mk4 IS

Weel hic! thish doshn't seem to be werking, I drlled into the black thing by mishtake shude be ok and dropped it. k - so i shtood on it an it crcked but - hey a bit of glue fixshed it.

No, no - a job for tomorrow morning when I am bright eyed and bushey tailed.
    Sorry to spoil the show!!

Replacement Chrony screen

Hi Paul

Have you completed the display screen replacement yet? - I shot mine when I set the rifle up a bit close to the F1 and forgot that the barrel is a good bit lower than the scope !! Wot a Wally. So was wondering whether you have managed to get yours working and whether you had any problems.

Regards
    Zyg

i must admit i did laugh at this, you sir have tickled me with your stupidity (said in the nicest possilble way of course)
    hope the new screen goes in ok for you.
    A Sapper is someone who quenches your thirst if you require a drink in the desert. If you need to cross the fastest river he will bridge that gap, and if the path ahead is too much to bear, the Sapper will guide you through holding your hand. UBIQUE is his motto - for he and his family have been everywhere.

I haven't replaced it yet but have removed all traces of the broken one - the new one is in transit from RS and should arrive tomorrow - it'll probably be the weekend before I get around to doing it.

It is good to know that I am not the only one to have made this mistake - I did EXACTLY the same as Zyg.

Did you know that 3mm of clear polycarbonate will stop a 12 ft.lbf .22 pellet?

It bends a bit but it will stop it. Haven't tried .177 but you can go thicker

Only a suggestion, but you could protect your new display.

If solder braid works they must be blooming big holes

Ady is offline To thine own self be true
    what did the damage .22 or .177 ?

Thanks, I dont feel so bad about dropping my combro and breaking it a few years after buying it

Keep you finger off the trigger until you are on the correct aim......

Brilliant - best laugh I've had in a while. Fair play for sharing Paul.