Thread: Mainspring wanted

Mainspring wanted

Looking for a mainspring of the following dimensions;

External diameter 0.6" 15.2mm
    Internal diameter 0.385" 9.8mm
    Wire thickness 0.105" 2.7mm (12 s.w.g ?)
    Length 33 coils

Does anyone know if these dimensions match anything that is readily available for either a junior sized air rifle or an air pistol?
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

edbear2 Guest
    Hi.....just been in the shed, but nothing that size........BUT,.....it sounds very similar to the inner spring of a Relum Tornado concentric set....maybe some can measure one?

Ed Thanks for looking and the suggestion about the Relum Tornado inner spring.

If someone has a Tornado spring in their spares, PLEASE measure it for me. Thank you.
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post
    Ed Thanks for looking and the suggestion about the Relum Tornado inner spring.

If someone has a Tornado spring in their spares, PLEASE measure it for me. Thank you.
    The inner one I took out of mine recently but can't confirm if original was:-

67 coils of 2.05mm diam wire with 14.0mm O/D; free length 249mm

In the bin now with the outer ones two and replaced with a single spring.

Best of luck
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Thanks David for measuring it.

The O/D on the Relum inner spring is smaller than I'm looking for, but being thinner guage wire the I/D would still be ok to clear the central rod on the piston. If I have no luck finding a closer match I might try one cut down in length to 42 coils.

Length 33 coils

Does anyone know if these dimensions match anything that is readily available for either a junior sized air rifle or an air pistol?
    I can get a spring made for you £15. Very busy at the moment, wait could be anything from 1-4 weeks.

Length 33 coils

Hi,

Don't know what it was originally intended for (possibly one of the smaller Dianas?...) but the closest match in my spares bin is...

16mm O/D
    12mm I/D
    2mm wire thickness
    31 coils
    218mm free length (also have one or two that are shorter if this is too long?)

All measurements taken with a steel rule so sizes are approximate only...

The spring is NOS and does have some marks on it, but it has never been fitted. PM me if it's of any use to you...

Cheers,
    Dave

EDIT: Just noticed Pok's post - sounds like he can get you an exact match if you don't mind waiting, which might be your best bet if you can not source a close match, or if the spring I have is a little too wide, bearing in mind that a coil spring gets wider as it is compressed so it may bind up on the piston walls...

Last edited by DCL_dave; 13-09-2010 at 07:33 AM.
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    I can get a spring made for you £15. Very busy at the moment, wait could be anything from 1-4 weeks.
    That sounds ideal. Pm me your payment details and I'll send you the payment.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Hi,

Don't know what it was originally intended for (possibly one of the smaller Dianas?...) but the closest match in my spares bin is...

16mm O/D
    12mm I/D
    2mm wire thickness
    31 coils
    218mm free length (also have one or two that are shorter if this is too long?)

All measurements taken with a steel rule so sizes are approximate only...

The spring is NOS and does have some marks on it, but it has never been fitted. PM me if it's of any use to you...

Cheers,
    Dave

EDIT: Just noticed Pok's post - sounds like he can get you an exact match if you don't mind waiting, which might be your best bet if you can not source a close match, or if the spring I have is a little too wide, bearing in mind that a coil spring gets wider as it is compressed so it may bind up on the piston walls...

Dave thanks for the offer. It's probably best if I get one made to the correct dimensions through POK!

Springs

Hello I know a chap who has 2 tea chests full of different mainsprings and all the info you will need , let me know if you want his number they are normally a tenner plus post.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin5oaks View Post
    Hello I know a chap who has 2 tea chests full of different mainsprings and all the info you will need , let me know if you want his number they are normally a tenner plus post.
    I'm already having a spring made for the above size, but his number could be useful for the future. Please send it to me in a pm. Thank you.