Thread: Slings and springers

Question Slings and springers

A while since my last post... ...during which I've been paper punching with rimfire with open sights over 25 yards and centrefire with open sights to 900 and 1000 yards.

What I have learned with r/f and c/f is a standard technique to shoot prone using the sling as a brace for the non-trigger arm to form a nice, stable support. And it works (I'm not a great shot, but I'm occasionally satisfied with my cards!).

Now... ...I also have learned that a springer air rifle requires a light, consistent hold to allow the rifle to recoil.

So what I have to ask now is,
    "Is it a good idea to use the same sling technique which works so well for me on powder burners (c/f kicks like hell) as for a springer (e.g. my .22 12fp 97K that I just got back from Lazagliding today)?"

Marcus,

Consistency is the key to good results.

In the case of the 97, you will have the front swivel on the underlever. If this, so much as creeps under the tension created by the sling, the shots will go awry.

Rustam
    Last edited by Rustam Bana; 07-12-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Paul Hudson Guest
    I agree with Rustam on this one.

If you hold a springer too rigidly they have a tendency to throw pellets - and with the 97K it seems to be up and left. However, they seem to be consistent in the amount they throw the shot - provided your grip is the same each time.

As an example, there's a guy in our club who asked me to zero his Pro Sport. After I was happy with it he tried it and it was consistently an inch high and left at 30 yards. Watching him carefully showed that he has a quite pronounced, but repeatable, trigger flinch. Once he fine-tuned the zero to allow for his flinch he was as accurate as he wanted to be .

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustam Bana
    Consistency is the key to good results.

In the case of the 97, you will have the front swivel on the underlever. If this, so much as creeps under the tension created by the sling, the shots will go awry.
    Thanks Rustam

In that case, does anybody on the BBS successfully use a sling to support a (recoiling) springer when prone (or any other stance)?

With the BSA Martini International .22 LR, the recoil is sweet - you aim, fire, it jumps a tiny amount and comes right back on aim within a fraction of a second when I'm comfortably supported with the sling... . Full bore is somewhat different...

Question

i only rest the front of my tx on my leading hand and hold the rifle solid to my shoulder, same as I shoot my PCP. I get good groups with it....not quite as good as the 410, but nearly.
    my mate shoots very well with a springer and he again holds the rifle tight to his shoulder, but grips and pushes away with his leading hand.

i dont know whether either is right or wrong, but they do work

Quote Originally Posted by andy_scouser
    i only rest the front of my tx on my leading hand and hold the rifle solid to my shoulder, same as I shoot my PCP. I get good groups with it....not quite as good as the 410, but nearly.
    my mate shoots very well with a springer and he again holds the rifle tight to his shoulder, but grips and pushes away with his leading hand.

i dont know whether either is right or wrong, but they do work
    I use the same technique with my 95K (hold to shoulder but just rest on leading hand). Its almost as accurate as a pcp but has had a stage 1 venom tune which I'm sure helps. However, I have a sirocco 2000 and this technique does not wrok as well with it. I nead to hold it lightly (as opposed to just resting it) with the leading hand.

Ian