Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCP air pistol discharge noise

PCP air pistol discharge noise

I'm considering getting a PCP air pistol and practising with it indoors in a terraced house. I remember my PCP rifle from years ago was very noisy without a silencer, how does a PCP pistol compare? Would the neighbours hear the noise of something like a Steyr LP10 being fired? I'd obviously ensure the backstop was silent. I know a SSP would be very quiet as I used to have a Daisy 747 and it was virtually silent.

Kenny

they will hear it discharge, but it is not a loud bang at all - may be a little music on in the back ground as a silencer??
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

If you dry fire with it, there will not be any noise

An LP10 is a noisy thing - real bark. An LP50 however is quieter - and in my humble opinion, much more fun... It will do anything an LP10 will, plus you can do Rapid, Standard, falling plate and field target. Only slight compromise is the trigger on an LP50 is not quite as adjustable as an LP10, but in the right hands it is just as accurate.

McT

Quote Originally Posted by McTrucky View Post
    An LP10 is a noisy thing - real bark. An LP50 however is quieter - and in my humble opinion, much more fun... It will do anything an LP10 will, plus you can do Rapid, Standard, falling plate and field target. Only slight compromise is the trigger on an LP50 is not quite as adjustable as an LP10, but in the right hands it is just as accurate.

McT
    I don't think there is a lot in it noise wise. Indoors with concrete walls they are both pretty loud.

They do have the same barrel porting and muzzle stripper cone after all. The LP50 uses slightly more air per shot as it has to re-cock the action.

A Co2 powered match pistol is even louder!

I don't know of a quiet match pistol. Fitting a silencer to any of them would be tricky, without ruining the balance or the ability to use the front sights.

HTH

Mark

Thanks for the replys. One of the attractions of air pistol was that I could practice at home however it sounds like the PCP might cause a bit of a nuisance with neighbours. It is however an old Victorian brick built terraced house I'm in so it might not be too bad, as long as it's not late at night.

Also as I said, I remember my Daisy 747 was quiet, so would a proper target SSP like a FAS 604 be much quieter than a PCP such as an LP10, or even get a cheap Alecto/Compact/HW40 for home practice?

Kenny

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Gamo Compact is fairly quiet compared to PCP/co2 pistols. I use my pistols in the flat, but I'm probably pushing it noisewise with the co2 ones.

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to

McT
    Actually, side-by-side, the LP50 is demonstrably louder than the LP10 (about 20 db(a) louder) when doing equal fps ....I know, I have just checked :-) The porting on both is the same, but the 50 uses more air in order for the magazine to function correctly, hence why it is a little louder.

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

PCP Pistols

I own a FWB P34 pistol and a FAS 604. I have also some time ago owned and used a Gamo Compact
    The P34 is quite loud at 530 ft/sec and a bit quieter if you turn the velocity down. The LP10's are similar
    The FAS 604 is much lower powered and therefore quieter and shoots at about the same velocity as the Gamo - 400 ft/sec with 7 grain pellets. But I still think your neighbours would hear it.

If you want a quiet pistol then spring power is unfortunately the answer The FWB 65 and FWB 80's are very quiet

As mentioned above you could use the dry fire facility of the PCP but it can be a bit boring unless you are striving for perfection and a National Squad placing
    John
    hold me back !!

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Unfortunately match pistols are designed to be accurate not quiet, why not ask the neighbours if they mind a bit of noise as long as its not too late.

That said, my FWB 103 as a fair bit quieter than the Steyr's, its an SSP, and a great pistol if you can find one, pretty rare in the UK
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Thanks for the further replys. I hadn't considered using a spring gun but the idea of an FWB 65 appeals. It was the gun to aspire to when I last shot seriously in the late 80s/90s. Apart from being quiet, I think it would be a top class gun at a reasonable price and I wouldn't lose anything if I did upgrade in due course. If I could get a mint later model with target grips I'd be seriously tempted!

Another (obvious?) consideration is your pellet catcher - use a cardboard box stuffed with rags rather than a metal target holder.

I'm surprised at the other post saying an LP50 is louder than an LP10 - maybe I am getting mixed up with an LP2, with a shorter barel maybe that's why I need to wear ear muffs when others are shooting next to me, but not when on my own.

McT

Another (obvious?) consideration is your pellet catcher - use a cardboard box stuffed with rags rather than a metal target holder.

I'm surprised at the other post saying an LP50 is louder than an LP10 - maybe I am getting mixed up with an LP2, with a shorter barel maybe that's why I need to wear ear muffs when others are shooting next to me, but not when on my own.

McT
    I'm not sure about the standard LP2, but I have an LP2 Compact - this is very loud - much louder than the longer barrelled pistols that use less air to achieve the same velocity.
    I reckon it's the loudest - you really need ear defenders with it.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Agreed on that, a friend of mine uses an LP2 compact, and its the loudest pistol I've ever heard
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

wellhouse0 Guest

morini

morini 162ei, seems very quiet certainly not noisy to me just a little 'crack' as it goes off. Shoot indoors at home no problem.