Thread: Springer ? 200yds possible ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Long range springer

How's this for a long range plinking.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7122886192038#
    Last edited by Barryg; 13-12-2010 at 11:11 PM.

erm, he must have a lot of faith in his mate to stand there!!

I have set my HW98 up to shoot crosshairs on at 100yds by using a sportsmatch one piece adjustable mount, a week ago I took my HW77 down the range for a balance test and once finished broke out the 98, conditions were excellent,very cold but absolutely still air with a that deathly hush you get in a woods covered with snow!

I set up a 6 spot resetting target on the shelf the side of the tree at 102 yds and firing off the bench went for a three down followed by three back up with no misses, it got a little frustrating when I kept getting five for five then missed the last one, but finally with a lot of concentration I hit six for six (40mm targets) at 102 yds

to top it off I then did a grouping test with my mossies I weigh for FT and managed a 29mm c-to-c five shot group at the same range!

I am now going to quit shooting and take up match box collecting or somethinga s i'm never going to top that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post

using a sportsmatch one piece adjustable mount,

to top it off I then did a grouping test with my mossies I weigh for FT and managed a 29mm c-to-c five shot group at the same range!

I am now going to quit shooting and take up match box collecting or somethinga s i'm never going to top that one!
    I've got the two piece adjustable & find I need to dremel the back one.
    The scope I'm useing has mildots in the center but has thick plain lines on the outer half, didn't give it much thought untill I stretched the distance.
    Very hard to judge P'O'Aim even for paper punching & aiming at the top of the board.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Yes, it is!

... Shooting a standard .22 Weirauch HW80 (which I just bought new last month), over a GPS measured 206 yards at an empty Stella tin.

The target was sat on a wooden ledge on the broad side of a ruined old barn and I also decided the challenge should be shot standing and freehand just for the hell of it!

Chairgun helped the prep a bit, as did some improvised aiming and zeroing solutions together with a willing accomplice on a mobile phone who traipsed back and forth between each shot to mark out POI while I looked on through a spotting scope. It took well over and hour, over a hundred JSB Exact Express pellets, lots of frustration and the odd pause for thought/inspiration; but I cracked it in the end.

It has to be said however that the myriad of variables involved in this type of shooting caused a dire lack of consistency shot on shot. The size of the grouping during this exercise was over 3 feet (and that's excluding flyers and the slight shifts in wind throughout the session). In fact, if I'm honest it involved a modicum of luck to hit the can in the time I did, and to put this in perspective, a few weeks ago I had some tins out at 120 yards and was hitting them around once every 4 or 5 shots and out at a 80 yards was hitting them at least every other shot.

Satisfying as a satisfying thing when the 206 tin dropped though!

thats the lousiest excuse I have ever heard for drinking Stella!

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    thats the lousiest excuse I have ever heard for drinking Stella!
    Looking for a no frills, freehand, minimum prep solution to the challenge with a totally bog-standard set-up; I decided to use the zoom on the scope to fix my zero at the intersection of the vertical cross-hair post with the scope's bottom margin... unfortunately this resulted in a mag of only x4 or so to shoot with.

Now I usually prefer a malt whisky but at 206 yards and x4 that bright white tin stood out a treat against the red paint on the old barn...
    Last edited by Mactavish; 24-12-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added a wee bit for clarity!

funny you should mention that, i'm sitting here reading this with a glass of 18 year old Glenlivet to sip!

a merry christmas to you!